Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Home Maintenance

Old 08-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Thanked 2,846 Times in 1,172 Posts
Default Heating?Cooling System

We have forced air electric heating and a/c system. It has one of those *thingies* outside, for the a/c, that comes on everytime the a/c cycles on.

However, when I ran the heat one day when we first moved in, the outside thingie cycled on.

We had this system at the family house, and the outside thingie NEVER cycled on when we ran the heat.

I mentioned this to my landlord, and we walked next door to the new townhouses that weren't rented yet. I stood out by the thingies and he went in and turned the heat on and they cam on over there as well.

He says, it's to bring in outside air to the heating system. I say, in the winter what's the point of bringing in 20 degree (or less) air to your heating system just to have to heat it up to 70?

Should those outside thingies be coming on when the heat cycles on?

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

So the thingie outside is the actual air conditioner. Why would someone hook those up so they cycle on when the system is set to heat?

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

This is the first place I've ever lived where a/c was needed btw.

And my only other place I've lived here had a window unit.
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Twoolf
One more day in the world. Life is good!

Thanked 1,791 Times in 865 Posts
Your landlord is an idiot. You have a heat pump. Even if the air is "cold" to you and me, there is still heat (entropy) in it. Basically, a heat pump is an air conditioner that runs in reverse when heating is called for. It is supposed to run when the heat is on. If it is cold enough that the heat pump can not extract enough to keep the house warm, back up heat strips kick in to provide heating. It does NOT circulate outside air to the house, only refrigerant in a closed system.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
drummagick

So they are supposed to be running then?

Too bad for me, because the unit is almost below my bedroom window, and it's loud. The ones in the new building are dead quiet.

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

I was hoping for some silence this winter.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,207 Times in 3,358 Posts
The good news is that a heat pump will save you money on your utility bill.

Maybe use the savings to buy some earplugs?

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
drum, my BIL put a heat pump in his house in BC a few years ago, to save money.

Just an FYI, too. Doesn't apply to you, but me. Even in the frozen north up here, high efficiency gas, forced air furnaces use external air for combustion.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
drummagick

Saves the landlord money. This apartment/house comes all utilities paid and a washer and dryer, which is why I'm willing to deal with a few centipedes and a noisy a/c. For what we have, I could expect to pay $100-$150 more anywhere else in this area. Maybe even more, with this view. We got lucky, took the apartment over from a friend.

Earplugs, huh. I'd never hear my alarm in the morning!
Old 08-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
drummagick

Thanks for the answers!

Heat pump.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
dyrt
. . .

There is no outside air from the outside heat pump that goes to the inside. It only pumps refrigeration fluid to the inside heat exchanger. They are efficient for mild cold days. When the weather turns dry and cold, then do so much.

Our thermostat has an auxillary heat setting. The blower part, inside the house, has additional heating capability. I can set the thermostat to the aux setting and outside unit does not need to come on to heat the house. I think most of them are set up this way.
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
drummagick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrt View Post
There is no outside air from the outside heat pump that goes to the inside. It only pumps refrigeration fluid to the inside heat exchanger. They are efficient for mild cold days. When the weather turns dry and cold, then do so much.

Our thermostat has an auxillary heat setting. The blower part, inside the house, has additional heating capability. I can set the thermostat to the aux setting and outside unit does not need to come on to heat the house. I think most of them are set up this way.

Really? Ima go have a look......

ok, mine says

EM HEAT

HEAT

OFF

COOL

---------- Post added at 04:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 AM ----------

"You have a heat pump which essentially means you have 2 heating systems controled by the thermostat; one is the heat pump that really only transfers heat from outside to the inside. The other heat is an electric furnace that backs the heat pump up.
The heat pump will heat your home if it is working properly and the amount of heat it provides the home is directly dependent on the temperature outside, the lower the outside temp, the lower the amount of heat coming out with the air that is blowing out of the vents, your hand is about 87 degrees F so the air coming out at 80 degrees feels cool to your hand but it will maintain your home most of the time.
The other heat is an electric furnace that backs up the heat pump at times when there is a call for more heat than the heat pump can provide.
They are both controled by the thermostat and are brought online as necessary.
The heat pump is very inexpensive to operate when compared to the electric furnace so it is the prefered mode most of the time. In the event of a failure of the heat pump you can switch to Emergency heat and the heat pump is not brought on, instead the electric furnace is used; this is just what it says for emergency, if you use it to heat a lot: be prepared for a huge electric bill.

Several people have the terms auxillary and emergency heat confused. While both terms refer to the use of the auxillary heat, Emergency Heat is a switch in the thermostat that makes auxillary heat the only source. in a normally functioning heat pump system the auxillary heat will cycle on and off as needed for backup heat and also to temper the cold air produced in a defrost mode but at those times it is not in emergency mode as it is there as a second stage to the first stage heat pump."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3093546AAhqv2U
Old 08-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Samen
unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummagick View Post

Too bad for me, because the unit is almost below my bedroom window, and it's loud. The ones in the new building are dead quiet.

Heat pump compressor unit noise.

If it is on its own cement slab and is noisy there are a few things you can do like when it is running gently pres on the side, top and bottom panelings to if they rattling from the vibration, if so work on that.

If the outside unit is bolted onto a wood frame wall there is not much you can do, fine tuning the cushions it rest on, harder and softer at different locations and of course panel rattling along with making sure the copper tubes transferring the heat / cold in have room for movement before they enter the wall helps.
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
drummagick

ok thanks!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
Sonny
Star Witness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samen View Post
Heat pump compressor unit noise.

If it is on its own cement slab and is noisy there are a few things you can do like when it is running gently pres on the side, top and bottom panelings to if they rattling from the vibration, if so work on that.

If the outside unit is bolted onto a wood frame wall there is not much you can do, fine tuning the cushions it rest on, harder and softer at different locations and of course panel rattling along with making sure the copper tubes transferring the heat / cold in have room for movement before they enter the wall helps.
I'll second that .
Sonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
drummagick

It is bolted to a cement patio. The side panelling at the back is vibrating pretty good. I need to figure out a way to fix it.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
Twoolf
One more day in the world. Life is good!

Thanked 1,791 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
It is bolted to a cement patio. The side panelling at the back is vibrating pretty good. I need to figure out a way to fix it.
Is it a vented panel or solid?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #15
drummagick

Vented
Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #16
drummagick

It's like an openwork piece of steel wraps all the way around the unit. The ones over at the new building look to be much sturdier, and have a separate piece for each side.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #17
Samen
unregistered

Un plug / disconnect it from the mains, take a Philips to it and stuff some silicone tape window sealant or soft stuff with sticky tape between the frame and the paneling, sometimes just one match stick or a twig pressed in between somewhere helps, the rattling goes away as soon as you get tension in the paneling and something soft in between it and the frame.

Why it rattles in the first place, to many alternatives to answer in one post, but at one time when real short in cash i used to install those things and tuning is the way to go if its not in a state that the compressor or fan are are whacked.

So tune it, it works in 90% of the cases and is a fun hunt.
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
drummagick

Ok, thank you, Samen.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 8,053 Times in 3,382 Posts
Quote:
Saves the landlord money. This apartment/house comes all utilities paid and a washer and dryer, which is why I'm willing to deal with a few centipedes and a noisy a/c. For what we have, I could expect to pay $100-$150 more anywhere else in this area. Maybe even more, with this view. We got lucky, took the apartment over from a friend.

Earplugs, huh. I'd never hear my alarm in the morning!

Maybe put your alarm clock under your pillow?

Yeah weird, but I have a small, cheapo, battery operated clock that I use just for that purpose. So I can get up without disturbing hubby.

And since our medium sized dog often sleeps between my pillow and the wedge pillow I use, when I slip a small clock into the mix, I never notice the extra lump but can still hear the alarm when it goes off

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heatingcooling, system