Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Cleaning and Organizing

Cleaning and Organizing Tips and tricks to get your home and all within it sparkling clean and neat as a pin.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,679 Posts
Default Mops

We're sick and tired of trying to find a good mop. The ones we've gotten in the past "look good" but they either just don't last or the replacement heads are difficult to find. It seems like the replacement heads are just not as good as the original that comes with the mop.

Our mop jobs are mostly light damp mopping until you get to the bathrooms and with my dad here, that's a job that usually requires scrubbing and is done often. The mop required to keep up with it needs to be tough and hand wringing is out of the question.

So, we're looking for suggestions. What's your favorite mop?

While we're on the discussion we'd like to say that the long handled (broom length) scrub brush for floors they carry at Lowe's is the bomb. Also, if you need a terrific broom, the black silicone one with the squeegee (Amazon) is wonderful. It really grabs tough dirt and hair.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,641 Times in 1,198 Posts
What I use here is a tough scrub brush with a long handle on it, combined with a thickly fibered mopping towel. You have to use rubber gloves to rinse out the mopping towel (floorcloth), but you can throw it in the washing machine after you are done without worrying about any yuckies being left on your mop. I find it the best way to deal with tough, or disgusting jobs. After you wring it out, spread it on the floor, and cast the upper end over your scrubber, and off you go again.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

We found a great mop! It's not on the open market yet, the inventor sells it at his restaurant. Its genius! The system uses a regular cotton mop head, the kind that has two sewn ends like this: [~~~~] One end of the head is attached to the handle and the other is attached to a sliding handle that when released slides up the fixed handle. The sliding handle is then twisted wringing the mop head. When you let go of the sliding head it untwists and clicks into place at the working end of the fixed handle. Is that clear as mud? You actually have to be careful about how much water you squeeze out because it can get too dry to damp mop. No hands in dirty water easy to wring out, what more could you ask for?

The long handled brush/brush and towel system that Mouse uses is great for tough spots that need more scrubbing and getting right into the corners though you still have to use a small brush to scrub into tight corners and nooks if you want to be Sue about it

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

I've been tempted to get a Bona or Swiffer Microfiber mop for quick damp mopping the hard wood floors. They both have square pads that swivel and get into the corners and under furniture. I have a microfiber wide head dust mop I just love for quick dust clean up. But for down and dirty you just can't beat the scrub brush and cotton mop method IMO.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
Old 08-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,382 Times in 641 Posts
For the last 15 years I have bought big commercial mops and rolling buckets with wringers.

They work.

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Twoolf
One more day in the world. Life is good!

Thanked 1,772 Times in 853 Posts
I've never been happy with brooms, they just seem to put dust and cat hair in the air to float down somewhere else or clog the A/C filter. I vacuum all hard surfaces, then one week I'll use a swiffer mop, then the second week a steamer. Floors always look great. BTW the swiffer dusters are great too for furniture, TV's, computer monitors and bookcases.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

I LOVE my Swiffer duster with the extension handle!

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rryan View Post
For the last 15 years I have bought big commercial mops and rolling buckets with wringers.

They work.
That's the beautiful thing about this new mop. It uses a commercial head but is a whole lot handier than hauling around and wrestling with a wringer bucket.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
I use the Swiffer extended handle dusters for high spots, ceiling fan blades & the tiny spaces between stereo components.

Twoolf for brooms - I use a cheapo dollar store broom - when the head gets too busted up, I toss it. To prvent crap from floating off, I spray the broom end with a disinfectant spray.

I've yet to find a mop I'm happy with. This place doesn't have enough hard flooring to justify a full on mop/wringer bucket system. I let SO mop with whatever passes for a Bee mop these days - he does it 2-3 times a week & a couple of times a year, I do an old fashioned 'hands & knees' scrubbing & yup - the corners get attacked!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,330 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mops, oh man, I love them. Ms. Pote thinks I am nuts.

The best is one of those large cotton ones with the long handle for leverage. When it is dirty just toss the cotton head in the washer and dryer and good as new. A crean dry one also makes a good dry dust mop.

And get the large industrial mop bucket with the water squeegee. Now they have Two compartments. One for clean water/cleaning solution, the other for dirty water.

The very best is to swill the floor then directly extract the water using a wet vac.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
Twoolf

Thing I don't like about mops is they leave streaks on glazed ceramic tile, and when the sun is just right they look terrible. That's what I like about the swiffer and the steamer: no streaks, In tight bathroom spaces I just use windex and paper towels. nice and shiny
NowVoyager (08-25-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
D. Gale
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,703 Times in 712 Posts
Who ARE you people?

D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D. Gale For This Useful Post:
drummagick (09-08-2013), linttrap (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

We are The Clean.

Resistance is futile.

You will be disinfected.
drummagick (09-08-2013), NowVoyager (08-25-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,641 Times in 1,198 Posts

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,382 Times in 641 Posts
No maid now so I mop about every 5-6 days. House is all hardwoods and tile bathrooms.

Lotsa vinegar and some murphys every third time.

Roomba runs through at least part of the house almsot daily and the rest gets dust mopped---daily.

Yes, we are weird but even with my filthy ancient dog residing here I can at least consider eating stuff I drop on the floor.

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

rryan, you're a man after my own heart. You're as clean-minded as my SO.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #15
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,365 Times in 1,415 Posts
This all reminds me I should mop the bathroom floor and vacuume the hall.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #16
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 9,954 Times in 4,382 Posts
Vinegar and Murphys are not good for hardwood floors. I vaccuum, then use the Bona cleaner in a dispenser mop from BJ's. I use the Swiffer damp mop on the travertine floors in the master bath. A scrub brush on my hands and knees when the ceramic tile floors in the other bathrooms get dirty. Twoolf is right... streaks and little dog footprints on floors suck. I like them SHINY.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #17
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Quote:
Murphys are not good for hardwood floors
I have sinned

Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 9,954 Times in 4,382 Posts
I used to be a sinner too, bg. The company that put in our new floors explained how vinegar and Murphy's was a big no-no, and recommended Bona. It really does a great job cleaning and leaves a streak free shine without residue or buildup.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #19
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

I hear my mother screaming from heaven. Water on a hardwood floor. No particle of dirt ever survived touch down in her house. My sister is exactly like her. Me, I lost the gene somewhere.
But I know how she did it. For the wood floors she had a dust mop with a white soft cloth to sit it on. She dusted the floors morning. But that was done last thing. Of course all dusting took place first and during the week you dusted with a soft cloth the surfaces of everything exposed in the house except the walls. On Saturday the weekly cleaning was done and that day all furniture was moved all furniture was dusted sides bottoms feet. As well as anything that sat out. Door frames, window frames, windows were cleaned draperies vacuumed. Ceilings were dusted along with walls once a month. Every six months those surfaces were washed. A wood floors were buffed and approximately every three months paste wax was applied in a thin coat. None in the corners. Liquid wax was used in the kitchen and bathrooms. The tiles were different material from today's flooring. When my mother took the dust cloth from under the dust mop there was never a sign of dirt.
Kitchen floors were swept twice a day morning and after supper. No dish ever sat unwashed anywhere in the house including kitchen sink.
I must add my mother did her daily cleaning before she went to work in the morning. She did not always work at a specific job as she keep the hours Dad wanted her to have so she was available to go to the summer place for the summer.

Myself these days is ugly especially since the cleaning lady hurt her shoulder like my shoulder. The official medical opinion is she has a really badly pulled muscle but whatever it is she isn't able to sweep. So now we have me, DH, and the cleaning lady not able to sweep. hmmmm So yesterday I bought her a pair of those dusting slippers she can put them on her feetsies and walk about and stick her foot out into corners etc. All the write ups on these are good and I'd buy some for DH and I except it says you should be good on your feet to wear them. Ha, that rules us out. Of course with the rollerator we could sort of skate about. DH said the instructions say do not slide with them. He said ha, turn the music on get a big room and just imagine how many people are sliding across the room.

Right, the original question was mops. I was like CS no mops. Hands and knees and a kneeling pad. Mother had some nasty things to say about mops. I have one here because someone wanted one but it is just wrong. Mum always said you are putting dirty water back on the floor. Of course Mum's water bucket for floor washing never got dirty. My cloth I use to rinse in the sink with running water. She instilled the aversion to mops in me and dirt in the corners. Sue. Do not re wax the corners either.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I don't wax. SO got hooked on Mop & Glo & similar products - ugh! He spent the day yesterday with stripper getting it off out floors. He's dead meat whining right now & my floors may look dull but they're back to a far lighter shade of bland linoleum.

I need to give them a proper wash & rinse but... manana. I did an 'emergency' cleaning job yesterday & I'm still feeling it.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #21
lilly

the put new carpeting down in one of the apartments, and installed a new toilet. Somehow between 7 when I went down to the galley and 8:30 something happened with the new toilet. The hall was a lake and the assistant manager had someone with a machine sucking up the water. It is three thirty and I can hear the machine inside the apartment drying out the carpeting. I wonder about that apartment. MOLD???? I'll have to ask the woman with the garden side apartment how she fared. She has a sea shell wreath and a wicker table filled with sea shells. The water looked like it had gone under her door.

Me? I take my shoes off when I enter my apartment. I pick up any speck that hits the carpet, and any spills get mopped up by mybare foot with a paper towel under it. The apartment carpet and tile floor looks spotless, because only I live there.. Very little gets dirty as I'm out and about a lot of the time. I dusted two tables today, and washed some coffee cups.

I dust once in a while. I definatly make the bed first thing in the morning. I do wash my clothes a lot and clean me.

My big mess is books, art, flowers, clippings, and what I consider beautiful. I collect. I have always collected, I always will collect.

I come from a family divided into two types, the hyper perfectionist and the disorganized. I got the disorganized arty gene.

I just picked up an encyclopedia of collectables on the take me table.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #22
Sonny
Star Witness

Many year ago on a Sunday about 12:30pm, I had gone to Sears to buy a special wrench I needed to work on my car. But when I get there I found out Sears doesn't open till 1:00pm. So now I'm waiting around the corner at a Burger King, killing time when the manager and a young employee, a girl 18 or 19yo, meet right next my table where the following conversation takes place.
manager: Didn't I ask you to mop up that spill?
girl: But the mop is all wet!!!

Now I don't exactly remember the moral of the story, nor what the manager said next but.
what I experienced I would call an unexpected moment of clarity.
yep, that's my mop story.
~

~

Last edited by Sonny; 09-07-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny For This Useful Post:
rb. (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #23
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Lilly - in the case of any tenant whose carpet got wet from that leak - especially the tenant in the unit where the toilet failed, I'd be very concerned. I'm speaking from experience as a tenant & manager. Owners always insist on trying to dry the carpet using high powered fans. Doesn't work. The surface carpet may dry within a few days but the underlay doesn't & that wet underlay abuts drywall, 2 x 4s running from the floor to the ceiling...

Problems may not show up right away but over time, the drywall & trim may start rotting. As to the carpet - any heavy item placed on an area that was wet may, when moved some months later, show a 'lovely', large mold spot. This neighbour should be documenting the 'flood' with a camera & take dated notes for herself in case of problems later.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #24
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,854 Times in 1,823 Posts
My house, I use a Norwex mop, with only water, or a steamer, with only water. Hardwood, both ancient and engineered, ceramic in bathroom, new linoleum in kitchen. No cleaner residue to catch and keep dirt. My ancient hardwood has gaps, size is dependent on season (dry or humid), due to a wall removal, with improper floor repair by previous owners. Cat pukes, runs in gaps. Yuck. At those times it's Windex and paper towels.

In the rentals, I use a carpet cleaner. I just used it on the hardwood in the old hoyse we bought last year. Spray bottle of TSP, spray a bit of the floor, then use the carpet cleaner full of water to rinse and suck it up. OMG, you should have seen the dirt that came off those floors! Works great on ceramic, too, just not with TSP (floor cleaners, instead), as apparently TSP is bad for grout.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #25
Twoolf

Off topic, re: Cat pukes. No matter what I tried, cat puked frequently. Put her on one small can of wet in the evening, and free will on dry during the day. With the wet, I mash it down flat with the lid so she has to slow down when eating. No pukes in months.

Tags
mops