Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Cleaning and Organizing

Cleaning and Organizing Tips and tricks to get your home and all within it sparkling clean and neat as a pin.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Talking My Steam Cleaner

Okay, I'll stipulate that I lead a sad & sorry existence & am in desperate need of a life. Stipulation dutifully dealt with, I want to happily expound on my new steam cleaner.

I've always wanted one but they were waaaaay beyond my budget. Renting a steam cleaner was a problem on three counts. There's nowhere nearby so I'd have to cab home. Secondly, they're not cheap to rent. By the time I'd rent one, buy the required solution & spend the $20 to/from the nearest store that rents them, I'd be into serious coin for me.... easily $100. Yes, I could hire a company & it would be somewhat cheaper but it's tough for us to book one. What is SO or SD are sick that day?

Those are NOT valid excuses for a filthy carpet - not in my mind but a gazillion vacumming efforts a week, spot cleaning ASAP - it doesn't cut the mustard. We have three aging cats. One hurls when you look at him crosswise & another has chronic bowel issues. We've ponly managed to organize steam cleaning twice in the 4+ years we've been here & I've been hanging my head in shame...

A bit over a month ago, I found a sale on little steam cleaners. This as a Bissel Quicksteamer & a very attractive price. What made it so cheap? It turns out there's NOT a built in water heater... you have to add your own; not boiling water but close. When I checked the prices of those with built in heaters, there was a substantial price difference. Well, I can use a kettle with the best of them.

After using it several times, I can wholeheartedly say I love this little machine. It's easy enough for an 8 year old to use - only the very hot water might be of concern to a parent. Seniors can use it with ease, even with some arthritis. The hot water tank is small & detaches & attaches easily, no twisting or turning required yet it seals securely. Same with the discharge tank - 2 latches secures that. Just for the heck of it, I 'handicapped' myself one day by only allowing myself to use one hand & my other arm. That slowed me down a bit but it was still easily managed. It also rinses out with no problems & takes up very little storage space.

As to how well it works - excellently! With three cats, we'd turned down new carpets when we moved in. Ours weren't new but were in decent shape. I don't think they'd been properly cleaned for some time though & only having done it twice myself, I KNOW how dirty it was. I did the whole apartment twice when we first got it & that took a total of three hours - much of that due to not knowing how the machine worked or the most efficient way to do the job. I'm still learning.

I know two professional carpet cleaners & both have told me that when a carpet is old & dirty, it often takes several cleanings to get everything out. Initially, you get out the top layers of crud but expose the ground in stuff to light, air & a bit of foot traffic. The next times you clean, more comes out. I suspect it will take several more cleaning to get everything out but each time I do it, the waste water is less disgusting.

This little cleaner has done a surprisingly good job or taking care of old stains as well as new ones. With some of the old, unidentifiable stains I sprayed on a household cleaner - almost any good one will do & I've tried most in recent weeks. I let that sit on stains for the 10 minutes or so I need to add in the very small amount of carpet cleaning solution I need & kettle of almost boiled water.

I've got it down to only an hour now to do the whole place & every few days if neded, I can spot clean any fresh cats messes.

I picked up the machine for a little under $150 - well worth the money.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,348 Posts
Sounds like just the thing for cleaning up those incriminating traces of maple syrup.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (10-11-2012), rootdiggr (10-09-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Damn - busted!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,943 Times in 1,866 Posts
Or molasses.

Sue, if it has enough power, it'll do your flooring, too. I bought one about 8 years ago, just to do my floors, don't have carpet. Works on ceramic, vinyl, even hardwood. I have a furniture attachment, too. Bissel's pet/soil shampoo works great. I paid $400 for mine at Sears, and it's been worth every penny. Now it does triple duty at the rental houses, too.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Yup - mine does hard floors too - I've just been too lazy to try - LOL. I love the Bissell pet formulation & the other big company - forget the name has one at Crappy Tire that promises 'Spring Fresh' or a similar scent.

Yours is going to be a real bonus at your rentals!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,715 Posts
Be aware that sometimes after multiple uses you might have foaming especially if prior cleaners used the wrong stuff on carpet.

Anyone tried plug in steam mops? Talk about taking [email protected] off of hard floors.

It also does an excellent Job of cleaning shower floors.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
rb.

I'm currently looking for a steam cleaner for floors, and acrylic showers, for our house, but mostly for the rentals. Suggestions? I like not having any residue from cleaning products.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
D. Gale
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,703 Times in 712 Posts
Sue, do you know what model yours is? We hadn't had wall-to-wall carpet in years, but now that we're back in an apartment, I think we really need to invest in one of these.

I'm finding this model out-of-stock everywhere online, but it was only around $90 when it was available. I'm wondering if it's a lighter/older version of what you have:

Okay, I just found this one at Overstock.com for $89:

D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Potemkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb. View Post
I'm currently looking for a steam cleaner for floors, and acrylic showers, for our house, but mostly for the rentals. Suggestions? I like not having any residue from cleaning products.
One of the good steam mops like I mentioned.

No chemicals, just hot steam, really hot steam which loosens dirt and the pad picks it up.

Store it in the heat resistant tray if you are sitting it down.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Shark puts out some decent steam mops.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

I think my carpets are beyond being saved...

our wonderful dog that I have thought has had a food allergy didnt actually have a food allergy but really had some type of bacterial infection... she has shat everywhere... I have cleaned and cleaned and the carpets wont come clean... gonna rip them out I think.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

soon I think
Old 10-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohegirl View Post
I think my carpets are beyond being saved...

our wonderful dog that I have thought has had a food allergy didnt actually have a food allergy but really had some type of bacterial infection... she has shat everywhere... I have cleaned and cleaned and the carpets wont come clean... gonna rip them out I think.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

soon I think
You would be surprised what a carpet machine can get out. I had pet stains that I couldn't scrub out that the machine got.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

She's bang on right KG. I had things I thought a nuke wouldn't move.... they're gone. Leet me dig up a few 'before' & 'after' photos...
Old 10-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #14
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
Be aware that sometimes after multiple uses you might have foaming especially if prior cleaners used the wrong stuff on carpet.

Anyone tried plug in steam mops? Talk about taking [email protected] off of hard floors.

It also does an excellent Job of cleaning shower floors.
Is it ok for wood? We have 52 year old wood floors here and they have some crud around the edges from the years they were covered in carpet. I would love to get them looking good but we can't afford to get them refinished.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,037 Times in 4,413 Posts
Do not use a steam cleaner on wood floors. Do not use water on wood floors. Use Bona wood floor cleaner, and a soft bristle brush.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
rb.

I've used water on my wood floors since 2003. Sponge mop, carpet cleaner, etc. if it makes a difference, mine are 1 inch thick, solid maple, 60 years old. Using a carpet cleaner, the water is on and off again far faster than even a sponge mop.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #17
Potemkin

I swilled a lot of bare wood floors in my youth. It wasn't highly polished or anything.

Consumer Report say steam mop OK on sealed hardwood floors.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/s...ying-guide.htm

Don't know about regular wood floors. I am sure it would raise the grain some if you really got after it.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #18
rb.

Probably depends on the wood. My floors have virtually no grain. They also need refinishing in the worst way. There is no finish left in some areas.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #19
Feather

I think I'll go with a wood cleaner. I need to get it sanded and resealed.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #20
Potemkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather View Post
I think I'll go with a wood cleaner. I need to get it sanded and resealed.
On an unsealed wood floor I wouldn't waste the money on a specific product for wood.

It isn't like you are saving a stain or a finish on the floor. (Unless I misread.)

I love real wood floors. I like the way it sounds when walking on it.

Shiny finish? I would do without but some non gloss protective finish after getting it resanded would work for me.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #21
rb.

Good, old, paste wax can do that...nice finish, not as glossy as a lacquer finish. I experimented with the floor in my dining room, at the patio door. There was some water damage to the finish from rain through the screen. Scraped down the previous finish, used paste wax. Good protection, but you lose the golden colour, caused by the aging of the lacquer. It's covered by a door mat, anyway, until we re-do all floors. I'll be using a high-gloss lacquer. Just easier to clean.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #22
Feather

Pote most of the floor has a beautiful finish to it, it's just really dirty from 40 some years of being under carpet. A few areas of the floor are discolored from different things. Some from water leaks (waterbed leaked for over a week before we knew it) to bunny and puppy piddle, with one medium spot caused by the infection in my Dad's leg before he died. It ate through the carpet and left the floor nasty. Basically it needs a really good cleaning and I'm not sure what to clean it with to get everything off of it.

Tags
cleaner, steam