Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Home Maintenance

Old 01-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,120 Posts
Default Question abdout AC/Heat Pump

When we moved in here last summer, I noticed early on that the fan on the outside compressor (?) wasn't working. So the landlord had someone come and fix it, and it worked ever since.

When the time came to use the heat (we had a thread about this before where *heat pump* was explained to me), the fan was running every time the heat was on. Then one day while the heat was on, the compressor thing outside made a weird noise, and when I peeked over the porch to look, the fan wasn't running. Our landlord was out of the country for the holidays, so I switched the thermostat to EM Heat which is the furnace only working. A couple of weeks later I tried the regular Heat setting again, looked out and the fan was running, looked a while later and it was not.

My question is, when you have your system set to Heat, is that fan supposed to be running every time/all the time when the heat is on? Or do I need to call the landlord in again?
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Sonny
Star Witness

My question is, when you have your system set to Heat, is that fan supposed to be running every time/all the time when the heat is on? Or do I need to call the landlord in again?

Yes when the outside compressor is running the fan should be spinning Except when it goes into it's 'auto defrost mode'. At that time a valve changes the direction the Freon flows, that was the noise you heard, and the outside coils heat up melting any ice that my have accumulated on them. After several minuets of that the recycling valve cycles again back to normal heating mode then the outside fan should start spinning again.
In Emergency heat mode the outside unit shouldn't run, such as when it's gets really cold and it can't extract heat from the cold air.

~

Last edited by Sonny; 01-18-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
drummagick

Ok, I will turn it back to Heat and see if the fan keeps running.

If I have the heat pump heat on, and it gets really cold, will the system switch
over to Emergency heat by itself?

Thank you, Sonny
Old 01-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Sonny
Star Witness

Yes, that is correct. It'll shut down the outside compressor and fan, but it will produce heat using the electric coils. there maybe a very small light on the thermostat that says emrg heat to let you know that has happened.. Doesn't mean that there is an Emergency, it's more correctly 'backup heat'.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
drummagick

Yeah, there's been a little red light on since I switched it over from Heat to EM Heat thinking the fan wasn't working again.

Thanks again!

Tags
abdout, ac or heat, pump, question