Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Personal Accounts

Personal Accounts From those who've been there: self, family, media

Old 02-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
Samen
unregistered

Default Flu in the house

DD seems to contracted the flu, 3rd day with fewer second day with topping 39.5 without paracetamol, cough, muscle aches etc.

It seems around 70% of the influenza here is type A either H3N2 or H1N1pdm09 (swine flu) and the rest type B.

Edit: the above % from local Gov agency differ from Promed

http://www.promedmail.org/direct.php...130201.1525524

In week 04/2013, influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses continued to dominate: of 2160 influenza A viruses subtyped, 1739 (81 percent) were A(H1N1)pdm09 while only 421 (19 percent) were A(H3N2). This presents a very different picture from the 2011/2012 influenza season, when A(H1N1)pdm09 detections were rare, but is similar to the 2010/2011 season.

In the 32 countries testing 20 or more sentinel specimens, influenza positivity ranged from 0 percent to 95.4 percent, with a median of 46 percent (mean: 45 percent).

Since the beginning of the season (week 40/2012), 22 029 influenza viruses from sentinel and non-sentinel sources have been typed: 15 307 (69 percent) were influenza A and 6 722 (31 percent) influenza B. Of the influenza A viruses, 9163 were subtyped: 6458 (70 percent) as A(H1N1)pdm09 and 2705 (30 percent) as A(H3N2). In addition, the lineage for 999 influenza B viruses has been determined since week 40/2012: 897 (90 percent) belonged to the B/Yamagata lineage and 102 (10 percent) to B/Victoria.

Circulation of influenza viruses in week 04/2013 remained diverse and similar to the previous week across the Region. Influenza A (mainly A(H1N1)pdm09) was reported as the dominant virus in an increasing number of countries in northern, eastern and central Europe, and Turkey, while influenza B was reported as the dominant virus in some countries in the southern and western parts of the Region. Between these areas, co-circulation of A(H1N1)pdm09, A(H3N2) and influenza B was reported.

Last edited by Samen; 02-04-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Kassy
Eurothrash

Wishing her a speedy recovery Samen!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

Did DD get the vaccine ???........ if yes how long ago.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Samen
unregistered

Now DW is sick, i told her in the afternoon not to go to work just had a hunch, she went in for early night sift at the old folks home, started frowning up and got a fewer, darn,

Non of us have had the vaccination this year or for years past, it was in the news that if one had the swine flu a few years back on would have a pretty good immunity for this years flew, that is what they said.

Us boys me DS 1 and DS 3 had it bad, real bad, the girls, DD only had it for a day and a half and a half and DW only had the slightest of symptoms for a few hours so would say they dont have immunity if it is the H1N1.

Question: I can not get the flu this year my body is just not capable of handling it at this time as im pretty sick more than i have let known in the cholestherol thread or other vice, got 5 packs of Tamiflu, wife has also a underlying condition enlarged heart just discovered reason under investigation so as soon as she stops vomiting start her on it?

then i need to think of me, leaves 4 packs, im not really into preventive antivirals as hada nasty mutation once from two low of a dosage so ended eating and injecting stronger antivirals 3 times a day for 18 months just to be alive today dono probaly weight for the first symptoms before opening a pack for double dosage.

DD is doing OK today max fewer without meds 38.7 so looking good, hope tomorrow is in the same direction no food accepted today but managing to drink plenty, the dry gough is nasty cant seem to get a couch medicine for it to work so doing a home made glycerol honey mixture that gives some relief.

Now on top of this we really have no idea what strain of flew we have so pick one of the three running around and this real heavy vomiting bit with DW dono, could be anything deducting it to viral on her case, DD sick in house hefty fewer etc.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,719 Times in 1,224 Posts
Tamiflu can also cause vomiting. Is her fever high? She also might have noro instead of influenza. I hope you have surgical masks around. Keep washing hands like a mad man. A high fever would tend to indicate influenza as opposed to noro. Tamiflu isn't going to touch noro. Get her tested if you can.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Samen
unregistered

Just called her work as she is out of it, no food poisoning among co workers or customers.
Her fewer is rising not bad yet 38.5 but up trend and she is totally out of it, she is very fragile, Noro came to my mind first dono, with DD in definite influenza id say its a good chance DW has it but not ruling out anything.
She is pretty much in the same line of work as you in just not traweling and a few years older than me, looking like shit i mean looking really bad pale and just totally sick and fragile, options are limited, ER visit if not better soon or tamiflu, if it is something else than the fly say Noro im not worried about using up a pack of low antivirals, they come cheap after saying hello to the right doctor what matters is, things aren't looking good newer saw anyone so sick looking.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Sounds more like influenza. She isn't going to be able to keep the Tamiflu down right now if vomiting is acute. With her heart problems, getting her to a hospital is starting to sound good. If it's influenza, it will be a very hard three days at least. Get the Tamiflu in her if possible.

BTW, I don't do the traveling anymore. I am a night nurse in a nursing home.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

Remember with the vomiting, and fever, she needs fluids. An i.v. drip may be in order.

Calorie Counter
Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
Samen
unregistered

Sounds good, fewer up a bit 38.9, still working on the womiting seems less but testing it with water seems to be getting less prominent, deciding to test the stomach with panadol or tamiflu first lets see.

Our Goldie (dog) has taken my side of the bed and telling me that is her place for now.

Edit:
Tami and next capsule in 2 hours, im a believer in induction. Cold towels etc for the rest.

Last edited by Samen; 02-05-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
Samen
unregistered

ER phone advisory after doing a 30 minute interrogation told us that DW has Noro DD influenza A and wash the shit out of our hands 100% hygine insulation , separate bathrooms for the 2 and good luck.

But what do hey know life goes on as long as i Don't get it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Samen For This Useful Post:
linttrap (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 18,928 Times in 6,062 Posts
Phone advisory----wow. Glad you didn't have to travel down there, but watch her fluids closely.

Any electrolyte solutions around? She may need that in a few days.

The truth shall set you free but not til it is finished with you.
David Foster Wallace
linttrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
I'm sorry to read that. Yeah, keep her fluid intake up. Most of it might come right back up but some will stay in her system. And that... will help recovery once she stops throwing up.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Hope they're both over it soon...that flu is nasty!
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #13
occupant
Infosponge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
Hope they're both over it soon...that flu is nasty!
I second that emotion! That flu is very nasty!
occupant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
Samen
unregistered

Its not Noro in my opinion, DW stomach is ok as can be now, tho pretty much bed bound with the flu, must be part of the early symptoms.

DS JR is now with it heavy fewer and vomiting cant get the panadol to stay down.

DD fewer is now pretty low without meds she is pretty drained out but apparently getting better as can watch a movie cudled up on the sofa.

Im coming up with it can feel it creeping in, did a dash to the pharmacy to get more cough medicine but forgot it, bought more panadol instead, same in the grocery store, wanted to get some easy flu foods but forgot about half.

Electrolytes yes a good idea thanks linttrap, il be running back to the drug store this time with a list, might get some suppository fewer medicine instead for JR tho he is 12 and it might not go well with his ego but if he wants to get rid of the headache and get the fewer down,,, cant be giving them constantly oraly as have no idea ho much is absored before he throws up again.

Then one more laundry of vomited bed clothes, get the spare mattress in and then rest for me, actually just resting now after taking the dogs out.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
lilly

Sounds pretty miserable for everyone involved. At least you were up and around. Hope you don't come down with it, or at worst case scenario a light case.

Europe cases sound even worse than U.S.. Or maybe its that everyone in your family came down with it at once so you are overwhelmed.

Take care of yourself as well as your family.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #16
Sonny
Star Witness

Antiemetic Medicines you can buy without a perscription:
OTC Relief for Nausea and Vomiting :

Drug Name: ZENTRIP OTC

Generic Name and Formulations:
Meclizine HCl 25mg; orally-disintegrating thin strips; citrus flavor.

eta: If you can only find the generic tablets you can try putting a half tablet under the tongue.

~ ~
In the past when I'm vomiting I've found it helpful to drink water, even a half glass of water,
knowing it won't stay down, will help to dilute the stomach acids and help reduce the burning
of the esophagus. and that feeling that vomit is sticking to my throat and dripping
into my lungs.

( and that's the reason why I no longer drink 'sweet' alcoholic beverages)

http://www.empr.com/antiemetic-medic...rticle/125873/
MPR > Clinical Charts > Antiemetic Medications

Last edited by Sonny; 02-06-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny For This Useful Post:
Samen (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
Samen
unregistered

Made it to the pharmacy before the fewer hit and forgot my list home
Asked for suppository and they not really strong so no go but the pharmacist sold me some paracetamol that melts and absorbs fast in the mouth so that was cool.
I recommend them to all to have one box of them in the med cabinet for cases like this where nothing stays down.
I have a feeling my case will be milder than what the rest are going threw as started antivirals at the first sign and no vomiting for me lets see and hope.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #18
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Some of our patients here came down with the vomiting when the fever was setting in, but it never lasted more than a day. The flu symptoms settled in afterwards. We basically had two groups, the puking starters, and the coughing starters, but both groups had the flu. The fever usually lasted 4-5 days, and only high for 1-2 days. The coughing was always bad.

Calorie Counter
Old 02-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #19
Samen
unregistered

Ok, sounds the same at DW work from a text message she got,

The coughing part is something nasty and something i will not be able handle, would run out of nitro in a day from it (already have needed some extra just from the the flu symptoms), managed to secure some pharmacist made codein / spiritus forte/ + some mixture for the possible coming cough.
DS jr and DW are pooped with the 39.5 range with max paracetamol, i had a good sleep so will stay up for a while to give em one more dosage around 2 am a ibuprofen/paracetamol cocktail so they get a good rest.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #20
Samen
unregistered

I want to thank anyone who posted above and anyone who didint but gave a positive thought, I truly believe they helped, I do.

We are almost all over the flu a few days left but nothing like the swine flu a few years ago also this time i used the tamiflu among with family members and at 1.5 times the recommended dosage, I know it helped but I must say the positive thoughts received helped as musch.

12 sneezes and 5 cough total count for me (family members are still coughing away buts that OK as they can) and yes i counted them each end every one ,,, Thank you .
Old 02-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #21
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Just focus on getting better all of you. Lots of rest, fluids as often as you can manage & SLOWLY back to solid foods, starting with light & easily digestible foods.

Not a fun winter for illness this year.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #22
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 18,928 Times in 6,062 Posts
I'm glad to hear you are all on the mend. Good use of the Tamiflu, Samen. Get it in there early!

Electrolyte solutions are always good for prolonged sickness since you can never get enough fluids in with the balance needed to keep your system from going wonky.

I'm a great believer in sleeping though illness whenever possible. However, you really need to have someone around looking out for you if you take that route.

5 days of Nyquil and Robitussin can seriously screw with your system unless someone sensible is available to pump the right stuff in along with the symptom relievers.

The truth shall set you free but not til it is finished with you.
David Foster Wallace
linttrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #23
occupant
Infosponge

No upset stomach or bowel troubles here, that must be a seperate thing. My flu was all upper respiratory ending in pneumonia. But I must say taking that Tamiflu as fast as I could was a lifesaver. I'm sure it shortened the illness by many days and lessened the suffering. Even the pneumonia wasn't so bad.
occupant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #24
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by occupant View Post
No upset stomach or bowel troubles here, that must be a seperate thing. My flu was all upper respiratory ending in pneumonia. But I must say taking that Tamiflu as fast as I could was a lifesaver. I'm sure it shortened the illness by many days and lessened the suffering. Even the pneumonia wasn't so bad.

For future needs there is an elderberry syrup with mullein that will help keep the crud from settling to badly and helps to lessen your pneumonia risk. I jumped on that right away and its a good thing I did. All of my snot was post nasal and I do believe it easily could have turned to pneumonia. As it was OTC meds were sufficient.

I have to admit that the SO and I are still not 100%. We tire easier, have little energy, our skin is dry and itchy and we are catching every little bug going around. Our immune systems are shot.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #25
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

The recovery can be as bad a PITA as the illness. You may not feel AS sick but as Lv aptly pointe dout - your immune system is shot.

Only time & common sense brings full healing. Eat well, rest as often & as much as you can & for 3-4 days double down on multi-vits - the one a day kind. I find the older I get, the longer it takes to recover & the the aches never seem to want to leave completely.

Is it age or does flu somehow make arthritis a tad worse? And why does it seem my internal thermostat keeps telling me I'm freezing long after I've felt off for a few days? It's the kind of 'internal chill' that no amount of heat in the house seems to fix. I can be sweating but inside - I'm still cold. Odd.

Tags
flu, house