Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Cleaning and Organizing

Cleaning and Organizing Tips and tricks to get your home and all within it sparkling clean and neat as a pin.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,248 Times in 4,503 Posts
Default Beautiful Things

One of our members once said she likes to be surrounded by beautiful things. Well, don't we all!

Not everyone can afford to live in oceanfront property or create a botanical garden out of their sandy soil. But we can all create a beautiful atmosphere within our homes, often for little to no cost.

First, cleanliness is so important. Kitchen and bathroom scents should be pleasant, not have you run gagging from the room. Then remove clutter. No clutter, no dust. It is much easier to wipe the top of an empty counter than navigate around 1000 tchotchkes.

But it is the sights, sounds, and scents that make my home a place I want to be. It doesn't matter what your decor is - old or new, expensive or second hand. It takes so little to make your home a lovely place to spend time. A lot of it is personal. I share my home with boys and a dog... so feminine and romantic does it for me. It's not overwhelming, just little touches here and there. I have a bowl of white gardenias next to my bed, and a big pitcher full of daisies on my kitchen counter. They are inexpensive fabric flowers on plastic stems, but they are pleasing to my eye. I play music to suit my mood, and hang up wind chimes outside. Scented candles, potpourri, and drying herbs build layers of scent throughout the house. In the winter my house smells of cinnamon and pine. It the summer, crisp fresh linens and roses.

I've reached the point where there is no better place to be, than home. No better food to eat, than what I prepare myself.

What makes your home your special place?
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Amen! And I could sure use some good ideas - I'm pretty sure night crawlers have a better design sense that I do. I have a few items that are beautiful & I treasure but I need to learn to put them to better use. SO's 'style' has overwhelmed the house. I could sure use advice on sheaking in some touches of my own. And if I can't get that to work, I need to properly delineate & make my personal corner more attractive.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Susan4
4ster

Good thread! I need to decide on decor for a basement finish project here. The upstairs is what I loosely term turn of the century farmhouse eclectic (with a heavy dose of taxidermy). Something a little more feminine may be in order in spots
Susan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susan4 For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (02-28-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
flourbug

I find a lot of ideas on Pinterest. If I have a vase or birdcage or basket that I like but don't really have a place for, instead of putting it into storage I browse Pinterest to see what cleverer minds than mine have done.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Okay, the first step - spring cleaning.. as I work through that, I'm going to try to cast a fresh eye on things I have. How can I best display them? Can I add little touches that elevate them from ordinary to... 'neat!'?

I'm going to try to think of the cleaning process as creating a blank slate for tableaux fo pretty & changing displays. One thng I KNOW I do well is displays of fresh flowers & outdoor trimmings - I could always improve there, though.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
flourbug

I had a friend who always kept her kitchen table set for the next meal - and it was Beautiful. She had the same dishes and napkins everyone else had, but it was her creativity and arrangement that made them special. She would use fabric, drapes or quilts as a tablecloth, she always had a centerpiece, and each place setting was complete - napkins tied with ribbons and a seashell or pine cones or something seasonal and special as an accent. It took five minutes to pull it all together but it made such a difference not only in the look of the room but how you felt about the entire family. Here was a mom who did something special, and it showed how much she cared.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Sue humbly crawls back under the Rock of Inadequacy...
Old 02-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Twoolf
One more day in the world. Life is good!

Thanked 1,791 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
I've reached the point where there is no better place to be, than home. No better food to eat, than what I prepare myself.
I agree 1000%. Want to get Married?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
flourbug

Check with Jason on that. He has dibs.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Increasingly in our case, fb's view is what we wholeheartedly embrace. Home is more than our base - it's our security, the place we recharge our batteries - the place where we feel most secure. That's not to say we're stuck in the apartment all the time. On the contrary, we're out quite a bit, especially in spring & fall when the weather is most condusive to being outdoors.

Nevertheles, e still spend a lot of time inside & when I look around, I'm increasingly dissatisfied with what I see. Shabby chic would be great but I think I missed the 'chic' genes. I've marvelled as people I know pull together an odd, (to me), collection of items & with a few thoughtful placings put together a delightful collection of... gorgeous. They end up with an eclectic look that's unique & highly individualized. I try that & I just end up with what to me seems like a collection of crap.

So years ago - I stopped trying. Wrong approach, right? I'll never have the inborn flair many have but why can't the art of pulling things togetehr be learned? I seem to have a feel for it with gardening; shouldn't that sort of skill be transferable to other... media, if you will?

I do have several nice pieces -some Inuit art my father bought in the early 60s. I have some neat lichens & pieces of wood I collected in the wild, dried & spray laquered. I have small collectible bottles & a few other items that I've kept because they're pretty - not many but enough to put together different collections I could change out every few weeks.

But I don't have clue #1 how to do that - do I stick to one era, one colour palette? Do I mix heights & shapes? Heck - are there even any 'rules' or should I just keep playing with stuff until I like what I see?

HELP!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Pinteret is an addiction of mine, I think I'm up to 45 boards now.

I call my home my sanctuary. I try to keep it stress free, relaxing and very comfortable.

It's amazing how things can get cluttered in the blink of an eye. Cluttered house, cluttered mind. I am constantly rearranging and giving things a new look....keeping any clutter at bay.

I'm crazy about linens, fabrics and colour. Im constantly changing the look of my bedroom with a quick change of duvet cover, throw pillows and a few accessories. I keep an eye out for sales so I can add to my collection. My bedroom can have a masculine look one day and very feminine look the next. My night table has a small lamp with amber crystal beads dangling from the shade, a bouquet of artificial peonies in pink and white, a reed with Polynesian Gardenia fragrance and an small antique pink pedestal plate with polished stones on it. I like my little corner of the world, feminine and soft. Paisley is an addiction of mine, if I see Paisley on something, I pretty much have to have it.

Through out the main living area of my house, I have a lot of rich golds, greens, deep tans and deep reds. I didn't plan it that way, it just happened. I like throw pillows and throw blankets on the couches and again, Im constantly changing them. They must be tidy though, not sloppy looking...Lighting is another " thing" I have, I love beautiful lamps and unique lighting. I have artificial trees in the corner of my living room behind a sofa table and "up" lighting that shines up into the greenery...it looks so pretty at night. Im not a fan of ceiling lights and only use them when necessary.

Plush towels, throw rugs and fragrant soap dispensers are bathroom must haves. I have hidden fragrance through out my home....even in my linen closet. Pier1 sells little envelopes and containers of gel beads. I hide those around. The fragrance changes depending on the season.

Dining...well Im a little over the top with that. Working for Pier1 hasn't done much to help with my addiction there ! I have a passion for tablescapes. Im constantly adding to my dish, crystal and linen collection. That doesn't mean I spend a fortune, I just wait and watch to get the best stuff at rock bottom prices. I managed to score Waterford Crystal at $10.00 a glass one day while out shopping...I felt like I'd won the lottery! I do a lot of tablescapes on the coffee tables as well. Trays, candles, trinkets, flowers etc. That applies to bathroom counters when we have guests over and other times such as holidays. It all adds to the ambiance of the home.

The only thing in my home that 'gets under my skin' are my stainless steel appliances. They are gorgeous but polishing them gets on my nerves. My teenage son just can't seem to get a grip on handles...he's constantly getting finger prints on the fronts and it drives me bat crap crazy.

I am constantly changing things. Keeping it fresh and interesting.
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amberglass For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Keep talking Amber - I'm taking mental notes!

And thank you!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
Susan4
4ster

::: gathering ideas keep talking! :::

I'm more the set it and forget it type and keep the hub's clutter problem to a dull roar. Thus what I decide to set on I should think thru pretty carefully.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Sue...Pinterest is your friend!

I'm a high end floral designer, I've studied interior design at Seneca, I "stage" for Pier 1 Imports and deal with customers with design dilemma's ...and I use Pinterest all the time. There's a lot of great gardening info on there as well...

Be warned though, it's very addicting!

Iirc...my Pinterest user name is chattycathy345...
Old 02-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
Susan4
4ster

I never really got the hang of Pintrest, I'll have to give it another go.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #16
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

About a month ago, Pier 1 got in these French Farmhouse cabinets and book shelves in a Pretty blue. I looked at their price tags and went pffftt... I could buy a very similar cabinet at the Salvation Army or garage sale, sand it and paint it the exact same color for $30-$40.

I've seen these fly out of the store for bathrooms..perfect for rolled towels, pretty soaps etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (4.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 02-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan4 View Post
I never really got the hang of Pintrest, I'll have to give it another go.
Sue, it takes a bit to get going, it can be overwhelming. Try searching something that interests you, be it scarves, smoothies, baking etc....

Then just save it to a board so you can always go back for inspiration or what have you.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #18
flourbug

HomeGoods has Waterford Crystal glasses for a fraction of retail. I saw small water glasses for $6.99. But here's a hint. The new Waterford is not made in Ireland any longer and the craftsmanship has suffered. Search Craigslist for VINTAGE Waterford - mid 70's seems to be the peak of quality. Most people bought it and never used it and it's now being sold in estate sales.

Amber, I agree with you on the bathroom accessories. I am a total hedonist when it comes to my bathroom. I love thick towels and cushy bath mats. I collect bar soap (even made a few batches myself) and always have a selection handy in baskets and trays. We have a pool bath, but the big jacuzzi tub and 10 person shower is off the master bedroom, so that's where we all head after swimming. Coming in to a cool, clean, scented bathroom when you're hot from the sun is just wonderful.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Okay - taking another cleaning break here.

This has been providing delightful avenues of thought as I scrub out drawers - one low bank of cupboards to go & 2 walls & I'm done until Friday.

What I've been thinking about is - what colours DO I like, what sorts of patterns & themes? That wasn't as hard as I thought & the fun part will be bringing all of that together.

I like floral, pastel type colours - primrose yellows, soft greens & blues & as a 'neutral - there's a grey or two I like - again soft. I should grab paint chips because I'm the "I know it when I see it" type. Yeah, grabbing a ton of paint chips then happily weeding out what doesn't seem 'right' would be a good start.

Living in England I picked up a few 'kitchen antiques' - the stuff used downstairs in big houses. It was cheap & meant far more to me than the fancy stuff. Okay, I'm a peasant. I have a few stoneware crocks - large & small, a small collection of antique bottles - nothing fancy & yes, as we start replacing furniture, nothing sayd I can't buy old pieces at Salvation Army & other stores, sanding them down & repainting them to fit MY colours.

This will take me several years - not a bad thing because I need to develop some confidence in my ability to make decisions about this sort of stuff. Years because I have to do it as the money becomes available & I find the right things.

I love scents. I love little candles - hmmm... I can make that work.

I didn't grow up learning this kind of stuff. M grandparents were pin neat but dirt poor & decor wasn't in the vocabulary. If they had a few nice piece sof anything, they were proudly displayed - no matter if they fit or not. At home I gre up in hoard - bad hoard. If there was anything nice in there, it was lost. So... I'll have to teach myself.

I can do this, I WANT to this. I have no qualms about letting anyone in anytime because the place is always clean. But I quail at what they must think of the innate shabbiness of my stuff. I don't like the shabbiness. I ignored it for years because I couldn't change it. But now that I can.... yeah, could be fun & I think I'm going to learn to get a real thrill out of neat finds.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #20
flourbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
I've seen these fly out of the store for bathrooms..perfect for rolled towels, pretty soaps etc.
Ooooooh! I want. We have a corner in our bathroom next to the shower. I wanted shelves for towels and such but I LOVE the idea of a small cabinet like that. Now I am on the hunt! I shall paint it ivory and put patterned wallpaper on the inside.

Amber, come, sit by me... and keep talking!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #21
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Isn't that a pretty cabinet? If we find it at the same time, there will be blood - LOL. Did I mention I love pretty floral fabrics? Not the heavy stuff but the delicate little posies, etc. Linens! I love thick, thirsty towels too & we don't need any but when we next need to buy towels, I'm going to go a little upscale. Bed linens too - again I'm set for a while but I want... NICE!

I often see really pretty fabrics - needle arts & I don't mix but I wonder if I could buy smallish pieces of fabric or wallpaper, mount them somehow, frame them & put them on the wall instead of boring photos, andscapes?

You folks are creating a potential monster here.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #22
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Sue, I keep my large utensils in a crock by my stove..also, Canadian Tire has amazing paints..to paint almost anything. Home Depot and Home Hardware as well.

You've got the idea. Collecting paint chips and photos from magazines for inspiration is a great way to start. I do it all the time. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get what you want, you just have to be creative.

fb, that shelf's amazing...and it would be so cheap to do it yourself. It's almost a Tiffany blue.Doing it yourself with some wallpaper would be amazing...I was thinking a pale pink, small rose wallpaper would be gorgeous on the back. It would tie in with that French theme.....or even a stripe would be nice.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #23
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Sue, if you're out and about on one of your walks, check out clearance in Home Outfitters, Winners, Bed, Bath and Beyond and Home Sense. You can find the most amazing deals on say, a new set of pillow cases or shams...add them to your bed and Voila...a new and fresh look for next to nothing.

I bought a pair of gorgeous Tiffany blue pillow cases just before Christmas at HS..for $6.99... They are friggin stunning...clearance, maybe not a popular colour with a lot of people but I love them. I use them on my side of the bed, they're just for me. I have all my regular sheet sets and pillow cases but Im always watching for beautiful pillow cases...it's a fetish. I just LOVE florals with a ruffle! Hard to come by though. I have a selection of pillow cases just for me in my linen closet.

You may not always find a treasure, but when you do it's fun.... No harm in looking.

OH..also, Fabricland. They sell a lot of pillow covers for throw pillows ..just stuff an old pillow in the new cover..and Voila..a new pillow for the couch or bed..They have great deals there as well as sales. You can buy them pre-made cheaper than you can make them yourself.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #24
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,207 Times in 3,358 Posts
When it comes to decorating, I'm not very fussy. For the most part, all I really care about is that things are simple and functional.

I focus my decorating efforts in 2 ways - the interplay of glass and and light, and functional antiques.

I have a good sized collection of colored glass objects. Some are dishes and glasses, others are old bottles or vases. A few are special items, like the stemmed red rose in a vase, all made of cut crystal that DH gave me a couple of years ago. In our den, we have a west-facing double window. The window treatment is simply mini-blinds with a plain navy valance topper. We mounted shelves across the windows where I placed about a dozen or so glass pieces. Currently I have pieces in brown, dark blue, green and burgundy. When the sun comes through the window, it hits the glass and I have a rainbow in the room that slowly travels across the floor as the day wanes. It's my personal light show. I have glass pieces placed in front of windows in almost every room in the house so no matter the season or time of day, I can almost always see a prism rainbow some where.

The best part is that, with a couple of exceptions, I can put all the pieces in the dishwasher and while they're washing I just give the shelves a quick dusting with lemon oil. Easy cleaning is for me!

I've inherited a lot of family antiques. I'm not sure how it happened, but over the years, they all just seemed to gravitate to me. Most aren't museum quality, and they wouldn't rate a close-up on Antiques Roadshow. But they're still interesting. So instead of keeping them boxes to someday pass on to the grandkids, I've turned the living room into a museum. Half of the walls are covered in bookcases so it's really more library than living room anyways. But on one wall, I have a desk that my grandfather made and sitting on it are 4 antique telegraph keys that he used when he worked for the railroad. His RR lantern is there, as well as a typewriter from the 1920's. To one side are a ring of keys ranging from antique to just old, and sitting on the other side of the typewriter is an old Coke bottle from the early 1900's that comes from DH's collection. Above the desk is a new but authentic looking railroad depot clock and a couple of large photos of my grandfather at the RR depot where he worked. There are other odds and ends as well, like a pair of spectacles lying on the desk, etc. The combination makes it look like it's about 1915 and someone just got up from working at their desk for a break - and they'll be back any minute.

I have a couple other areas set up in a similar way - using the antiques to create a mini-environment. One uses school related things and books on an antique library table. Another that I'm just now working on is focused on kitchen and cooking items and cookbooks. I will say that keeping things dusted is a bit of a PITA but the effect is worth it. For now anyways.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #25
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Catbird, I just love blue plaid...I love coloured glass but gravitate towards the amberglass, hence my name.

When my father in law passed we inherited a lot if antiques, a spinning wheel, a mahogany lawyers book case and other large pieces once used to put spools of yarn on etc... I don't even know what they are. I have them in storage right now, but hopefully when we move I will find a special place for them.

Tags
beautiful, things