Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Outdoors

Outdoors Hobby or work, if you do it outside, this is the place to talk about it.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 7,808 Times in 3,307 Posts
Angry Mega Mosquitoes!!!!!

Like the title of a cheesy horror flick, central Florida is set to invaded by 'mega mosquitoes' this summer ........ Blood sucking skeeters 20 times the size of the typical skeeter.

Wonderful.

And if there's a skeeter within 50 miles, it'll zoom in on me

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/UF-...z/-/index.html

Mega mosquitoes known as gallinippers could invade Central Florida this summer as flood waters from tropical storms force the larvae to hatch this hurricane season.

Entomologists at the University of Florida say the mosquitoes are 20 times the size of a typical mosquito, about the size of a quarter.

They also pack a painful bite, according to UF entomologist Phil Kaufman. He calls the species "notoriously aggressive."

The best way to protect against these super-sized mosquitoes is to wear bug spray with DEET and cover up as best as possible.

Gallinippers were spotted last year in Florida after Tropical Storm Debbie doused the state, but scientists predict they'll make an appearance again this summer.

According to Kaufman and his team one good thing about these mosquitoes is that they aren't known to carry any viruses that could be harmful to humans.

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,701 Times in 1,218 Posts
Quote:
Alternatives to Chemical-based Mosquito Repellents

If you want to avoid chemical-based repellents altogether, a few promising alternatives do exist.

"Of the products we tested, the soybean oil-based repellent was able to protect from mosquito bites for about 1.5 hours," Fradin reports. He and fellow researchers found other oils -- citronella, cedar, peppermint, lemongrass, and geranium -- provide short-lived protection at best.

Oil of eucalyptus products, however, may offer longer-lasting protection, preliminary studies show. Endorsed by the CDC, oil of lemon eucalyptus is available under the Repel brand name and offers protection similar to low concentrations of DEET. Lemon eucalyptus is safe for children older than 3 years.

In the last few years, nonchemical repellents worn as skin patches and containing thiamine (vitamin B1) have arrived in some big-box stores under the name Don’t Bite Me! The science behind this repellent comes from a study done in the 1960s. It showed that thiamine (B1) produces a skin odor female mosquitoes don't like. But no other studies have confirmed thiamine's effectiveness as a mosquito repellent when worn on the skin. Chari Kauffmann, president of the company that sells skin patch called Don’t Bite Me!, says studies on the product are ongoing, though the company has no conclusions to report.
A lot of information about who attracts mosquitoes, and why at the source of the quote above.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/featu...osquito-magnet

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,410 Times in 648 Posts
When we were in Costa Rica for several weeks I was getting eaten alive and a local told me to take vitamin b every day and eventually they would quit biting me.

Started doing it and it seemed to help. That combined with my dietary changes and now they land on me and fly away immediately---probably have gotten 3-4 bites in the last couple years whereas before I'd get that many in a minute.

2 B100's every day.

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,459 Times in 1,443 Posts
Eating lots of garlic keep them away also. It works for DH.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,403 Times in 2,706 Posts
Go down to Sabine Pass in Texas and tangle with some of those salt grass mosquitoes that breed in that brackish water.

You can wear long sleeve shirts, jeans and they can reach right through them.

They are all down the coast to Florida.

Here is a pic of one of those mosquito magnets in Florida. Here is ONE DAY'S worth of capture.

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/08/18/Fl...wamp_ang.shtml
Old 03-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Thanked 2,680 Times in 1,139 Posts
Damn that's a lot of mosquitos!!

They don't like me at all, thank God. They love my son. When we were in Idaho one summer he came running in the cabin one evening, he was about 5 then, "MOSQUITOS ARE KILLING MEEEEEEEEE!!!!!" lol
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Good Gawd!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
Twoolf
One more day in the world. Life is good!

Thanked 1,778 Times in 857 Posts
Welcome to our world......

Tags
mega, mosquitoes