Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Classroom

Classroom A place for parents who take an active interest in their child's education, with a special emphasis on Homeschooling.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,414 Times in 2,710 Posts
Default San Jose State suspends online courses

Online courses not ready for prime time.

I guess it would take an exceptional individual to get the work done.

I have taken a few myself. The pass rate when tested online seemed to be fairly good. Drag them in for the final and there is a significant disconnect.

I wonder why?

http://www.mercurynews.com/education...-results-mixed

San Jose State suspends online courses

By Katy Murphy

Oakland Tribune
Posted: 07/19/2013 05:49:51 AM PDT
Updated: 07/19/2013 09:17:29 AM PDT

SAN JOSE -- An experiment to offer for-credit, online-only college courses to the public at low cost will take a semester to retool before the classes go back online, say those leading the San Jose State Plus pilot project.

"If you keep teaching, you never have time to stop and reflect," said San Jose State Provost Ellen Junn, who is reviewing the results from the spring and summer sessions. "We thought that this would be a natural breaking point."

San Jose State teamed up with Udacity, an online education company, to see if students would do better in remedial and entry-level math courses offered online than in a traditional format.

The results from the pilot project are still being analyzed, but preliminary findings showed that less than half of the group -- which included high school students and college students who had failed math before -- had passed the classes.

The students struggled to pass their final exam, and some said they would have done better if they had more time to prepare for it -- an adjustment that might be made, said Udacity founder Sebastian Thrun.

Tags
courses, josé, online, san, state, suspends