Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Discussion

Flu Discussion This subroom is intended for "soft discussion" of flu-related topics. This includes general chat, joke threads, scenarios, discussions of personal feelings, etc.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,044 Times in 5,057 Posts
Question What's It Like So Far This Year?

In recent years, we've had early, localized & regional outbreak of flu in both Canada & the US. So far in Canada - nothing. Testing is revealing we're still at 'inter-seasonal' levels... very few flu cases anyway. Anecdotally, I'm not hearing about any flu or for that matter, much respiratory at all.

Is that also the case n the US & Europe?

How did the southern hemisphere season play out?
Old 10-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Samen
unregistered

Finland has a mild viral cold going on, starts with a low fewer and agitation of the throat, develops into a hacking cough that can last for a week or so, also a lot of nasal run.

Have not heard of deeper respiratory symptoms. So far no flu tho they pushing the wax.
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,846 Times in 1,819 Posts
There's been a "cold" going around here for a few weeks that sounds more like a B flu. MIL had it, aunt and uncle had it. Put all three in bed for about a week.

I'm calling to make my flu shot appointment today.

I think we, in this part of N. America, will have an early season, due to the early cold.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,147 Times in 3,347 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the flu I had last month was type B. I base that on the fact that it was a bit more mild than other bouts with the flu. I had only 3 or 4 really terrible days, followed by about a week or so of just bad days.

It's been followed by lingering coughing fits, which my doc diagnosed as Post Infection Cough Syndrome. A few years ago, the diagnosis would have been post-viral bronchitis. It can last up to 6 weeks. I'm at about week 5 and the coughing is far less frequent, but it's still exhausting.

Since I have a chronic illness that makes me somewhat immune compromised, I went ahead and got the trivalent flu shot. I had the option to get the quad, but the risk of my reacting to it was higher, so I decided to play it safe. I got the shot last year and ended up getting a Type B flu in February anyways. It will be interesting to see how I do this winter.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Twoolf
One more day in the world. Life is good!

Thanked 1,772 Times in 853 Posts
Got my shot early this year "just in case". I've read some speculation that this could be a bad year.

Tags
year