Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Ebola

Ebola News, information and discussions about prevention, spread, and treatment of Ebola. Also see our Ebola Wiki at ebola.thisbluemarble.com

Old 08-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #26
Sonny
Star Witness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue
The thought of this one ever going airborne scares the poop out of me. It would be beyond horror.
CS, it IS air born, for pigs. In pigs their lungs get really infected, a way lot more than primates or mice, lots of sneezing and coughing up lung chunks, it's thought that was how the pigs were able to infect the monkeys in the other cages in the Canadian study. Pretty sure I read that in a Pubmed article, not sure I bookmarked it tho. So consider that here say,

~
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #27
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
I've read the study you're talking about- the pig to monkey experiment. The monkeys most certainly contracted Ebola. What they could never determine for sure was... airborne or aerosol? In quarters that close, it's detail, eh?

E. reston is very strongly suspected to be airborne in certain money species. Personally you'd have to convince me it's NOT airborne rather than the other way around. Yeah - bad on my part...

When I talk about Ebola & airborne - I mean airborne as flu is airborne, ESPECIALLY between humans.

I can't imagine the outcomes for our species.

Actually, I can. Don't want to.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #28
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,745 Times in 2,134 Posts
I wonder how much "dirty work" will get carried out in the name of "stopping ebola". So you demolish this shanty town. Where do these people go??

Quote:
Guinea flattens shanty town to combat Ebola spread

15/08 12:37 CET

Authorities in Guinea are taking radical action to fight the spread of the deadly Ebola virus.

Security forces in Conakry, the capital of the west African state, have demolished a shantytown following the declaration of a public health state of emergency.

It comes after President Alpha Conde said cleanliness was key to fighting the outbreak that has killed more than 1,000 people in three countries across the region.

Conakry is considered to be one of the dirtiest cities in West Africa, due, in part, to a lack of education amongst its residents and a political divide that has resulted in rubbish being dumped on the streets.

In the centre of the city massive piles of rubbish sit by huge puddles of sewage water made deeper by the rain.

The demolition of the shantytown left many people homeless and brought an angry reaction. “What they are doing to us is not good. We are Guinean, we are not foreigners here. Why all this? Because of Ebola? Leave us so that Ebola can kill us, but don’t move us from here,” cried one man as his home was torn down.
http://www.euronews.com/2014/08/15/g...-ebola-spread/
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #29
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

That sucks big time for these people. If that particular shantytown had been the focus of a cluster of cases then protocol would have called for it either to have been bleach sprayed to within an inch of its sorry life and/or burned. Demolishing it doesn't seem to accomplish anything save to make a bunch of already destitute folk homeless & pissed off.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #30
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,211 Times in 651 Posts
I agree with What she says.....(^^^^^^)
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #31
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Guinea reopens Ebola clinic as sick spill over border

***Guinea said on Saturday it will reopen an Ebola clinic in its remote southeast as sick nationals living in Liberia and Sierra Leone spill over the borders in search of better treatment.

West Africa's Guinea, the first country in the region to be affected by the deadly virus which has killed more than 1,100 people, says it has brought the outbreak under control. But it is worried that a poor response to the epidemic from its neighbours will reverse its progress.

"We are concerned about the length of the border with Sierra Leone and Liberia, specifically in Macenta and Pamelap," said Sakoba Keita from Guinea's Health Ministry, referring to border towns.

"The Guineans who are over there and are infected are inclined to come back to Guinea for better treatment," he added, describing Liberia's health system as in a state of decay.

Four new suspected cases have been reported in Macenta in the Gueckedou region, within about 15 kilometres of the Liberian border, and Guinea is now preparing to reopen the Ebola clinic there, he added....***

More at link:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/guinea...rder-1.2738666
Old 08-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #32
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Riots in Guinea as officials accused of transmitting Ebola

2014-08-29 14:32

Conakry - Riots broke out in Guinea's second-largest city Nzerekore over rumours that health workers had infected people with the deadly Ebola virus, a Red Cross official and residents said on Friday.

A crowd of young men, some armed with clubs and pistols, set up barricades across the southern city on Thursday and threatened to attack the hospital before security forces moved in to restore order.

Gunshots were fired by the rioters and several people were injured, said Youssouf Traore, president of the Guinean Red Cross.

"A rumour, which was totally false, spread that we had sprayed the market in order to transmit the virus to locals," Traore said. "People revolted and resorted to violence, prompting soldiers to intervene."

Local Red Cross workers had to flee to the military camp with their medical equipment.
http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/Ri...Ebola-20140829
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #33
Sonny
Star Witness

Nzerekore is the capital of the Forest Region, where the Ebola epidemic has its epicentre, however the BBC's Alhassan Sillah in Guinea says the town has miraculously remained free of Ebola so far.

Journalist Guilana Fidel Monou told the BBC French service from Nzerekore that many people there still do not believe that Ebola exists.

Guineans riot in Nzerekore over disinfectant
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28984259

~
Old 09-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #34
Sonny
Star Witness

Ebola decimating health workers in Guinea

Ebola hemorrhagic fever continues to claim victims among the Guinean medical personnel. A new case has been registered at Donka hospital.

According to verified information from medical sources, the victim, Dr. Cherif Nabaniou Diallo was on duty at the Neonatal Donka where he received care, in particular the department of infectious diseases.

After his death, a list of 21 contact persons has been established for the observation for the incubation period of 21 days, with the support of doctors without borders, we entrust our source.

Thierno Souleymane 8/31/14[/quote]
~
Donka hospital in the capital city Conakry lost another doctor to the Ebola.

'If God lets me live'
"One day, if God lets me live, when Ebola becomes a distant memory, I will explain to my grandchildren or great-grandchildren that this disease called Ebola shook the world in 2014," says Marie Fikhe, a nurse in charge of a department at Donka hospital.
One of her colleagues, Jacqueline Thea, a frail figure in overalls which are too big, says she remains in the job "because I do not want to escape my responsibilities, because I was sworn in, because I want to honour my children".

"Otherwise I would have given up everything to go far away from here, away from Guinea," she says.

~
wow, amen
Old 09-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #35
andy
Senior Level 5

I looked up ""Marie Fikhe" guinea" on Google and got this: http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/Eb...uinea-20140831

And it had this:

In Donka hospital, a nurse who asks to be identified as "Dr Mara" underlines the problem.

"Look at my outfit. I had to buy it at my own expense... Mostly, I'll source decent white fabrics from the market and get them sewn by my tailor."

"Even the gloves on the table there, it was me who bought them," insists the nurse, in between dashes to casualty, the pharmacy, the laboratory and the Ebola isolation unit, claiming to have to work without surgical spirit, soap or even water.

"Everybody knows that sponsors donate loads of them, so they should be used to treat patients... [yet] very often, after a few days, they can be found being sold on the local market."
Old 09-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #36
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Guinea detects Ebola in new region

Published September 03, 2014Reuters

Guinea's government said on Wednesday that Ebola had spread to a previously unaffected region of the country, as U.S. experts warned that the worst ever outbreak of the deadly virus was spiraling out of control in West Africa.

Guinea, the first country to detect the hemorrhagic fever in March, had said it was containing the outbreak but authorities announced that nine new cases had been found in the southeastern prefecture of Kerouane.

The area, some 750 km (470 miles) southeast of the capital Conakry, lies close to where the virus was first detected deep in Guinea's forest region. The epidemic has since spread to four other West African countries and killed more than 1,500 people.

"There has been a new outbreak in Kerouane but we have sent in a team to contain it," said Aboubacar Sikidi Diakité, head of Guinea's Ebola task force. He insisted the outbreak was being contained.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/0...in-new-region/
Old 09-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #37
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Argh!

How do they KNOW it's contained? They barely have the staff & stuff needed to sort of cope in the areas of known cases.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #38
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

They know its contained the same way Nigeria knew. Wishful thinking. 9 cases sounds like an awful lot of follow up contact tracing to claim they have it under control.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #39
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I've got to stop asking questions to which we already have answers - right now, my way of coping with a situation where, when I look at some of the insanity happening, the countries involved, I want to scream:

"STOP THE MADNESS!"
Old 09-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #40
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Nine missing after Guinea Ebola team attacked in remote southeast

18/09/2014 - 16:54

CONAKRY (Reuters) - Nine Guineans, including two journalists and several officials trying to educate the local population on the risks of Ebola, have gone missing after being attacked by stone-throwing residents, the government said on Thursday.

"A team has been dispatched to verify more information," said Damantang Camara, a spokesman for Guinea's government. Camara said he could not confirm a local media report of six dead as government officials had not seen any bodies.

The incident took place on Tuesday in Wome, a village close to the town of Nzerekore, in Guinea's southeast, where Ebola was first identified in March. Nzerekore is also near Guinea's border with Liberia, the nation worst hit by an outbreak that has killed over 2,600 people.
http://www.eleconomista.es/internaci...ku8uOYQh8ABmAJ
Old 09-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #41
andy
Senior Level 5

Damn if you do and damn if you don't.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #42
Sonny
Star Witness

Additional info to Exodia's post , Ebola Aid workers massacred.
~

http://www.latimes.com/world/africa/...918-story.html

When Guinean government officials visited the village of Womme in the country’s southeast, they planned to educate people about Ebola and show people how to avoid it – in a region where many still believe the virus doesn’t exist.

But it all went disastrously wrong.

Members of the local population responded furiously, pelting the delegation with stones and beating them with clubs, according to Guinean radio. The delegation, which included doctors and journalists, fled into the bush after the attack on Tuesday.

Radio reports said a local politician, two journalists and others hadn’t been heard from since they fled the attack.

Nine people are missing, according to Guinean government. Six members of the delegation were killed, according to local media, but government officials cannot confirm the report.

Twenty-one people were injured as youths attacked, stoning six cars, in an incident that underscores the challenges for local and international health teams fighting Ebola in West Africa.

Womme is outside the the second largest city, Nzerekore, which saw mass rioting during a protest over the spraying of disinfectant in a market area.

~
Old 09-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #43
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,254 Times in 3,372 Posts
Looking for more.

8 bodies, including those of 3 journalists, found after attack on Ebola education team in Guinea, per government spokesman - @Reuters

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #44
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,254 Times in 3,372 Posts
Ebola outbreak: Health team 'found dead' in Guinea

Quote:
Officials in Guinea searching for a team of health workers and journalists who went missing while trying to raise awareness of Ebola have found several bodies.

A spokesman for Guinea's government said the bodies included those of three journalists in the team.

They went missing after being attacked on Tuesday in a village near the southern city of Nzerekore.

...Last month, riots erupted in the area of Guinea where the health team went missing - near where the outbreak was first recorded - after rumours that medics who were disinfecting a market were contaminating people.

The three doctors and three journalists went missing on Tuesday after residents in the village of Wome pelted them with stones as they visited the village.

One of the journalists managed to escape and told reporters that she could hear the villagers looking for them while she was hiding.

The governor of Nzerekore told the BBC that the group were being held captive but on Thursday night a government spokesman said several bodies had been found.

He said the eight bodies found included those of three journalists, but it is unclear who the other victims are.

A government delegation, including the health minister and the communications minister, had been dispatched to the region but the BBC's Makeme Bamba, in the Guinean capital Conakry, said they were unable to reach the village by road because a main bridge had been blocked.

There have been many reports of people in the region saying they do not believe Ebola exists, or refusing to co-operate with health authorities, fearing that a diagnosis means certain death...

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #45
Sonny
Star Witness

Three Doctors among the missing,
one journalist escaped, many bodies recovered

Health team 'found dead' in Guinea search for the missing
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29256443

~
Old 09-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #46
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Damn if you do and damn if you don't.
Exactly. As I said before, these 3 countries are like a perfect storm for a disease like Ebola, which thrives on ignorance. If and when this burns itself out, I expect there to be some major knock-on political effects. Some positive, others not so much. For starters, a lot of local chieftans and officials are going to find themselves without supporters, or worse. Kinda like the local church officials in the aftermath of the Black Death. Entire belief systems are going to come crashing down.
Sysiphus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #47
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

A lot of local chieftains will find themselves without... themselves. Their rank won't spare them.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #48
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Thanked 3,260 Times in 1,462 Posts
So what does the rest of the world do? Do we send in a military force? Or, do we use that military force to quarantine all infected countries, with deadly force if necessary, making humanitarian aid drops via drones/helicopters and allowing the disease to burn itself out?
Old 09-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #49
andy
Senior Level 5

I just wanted to remind ya'll about collateral deaths. This is a perfect example of why collateral deaths are 3-4x Ebola deaths.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #50
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Horrible prospect but it may come to just that. TRY to quarantine the affected zone, knowing using the military to enforce it will probably drive some early cases underground & they may successfully escape to nearby countries...

accompanied by a crapload of humanitarian airdrops with food, means to disinfect water, very basic medical supplies & simple instruactions in local tribal languages & any major European languages spoken in the area.

The aftermath will be a completely different can of worms to deal with but that's for later, eh?

Tags
ebola, guinea, outbreak