Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine

Alternative and Survival Medicine Investigations and discussion into health systems, practices, and products that are not considered part of conventional medicine.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,040 Times in 1,701 Posts
Default A Different Look at Foot Pain

I deal with Plantar Faciitis quite often with my clients. Recently, another Massage Therapist posted this video and it's changed the way I approach it. Thought I'd pass it on:

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

His taping technique is significantly different than 'standard' techniques

You can get toe separators from Amazon and the "medical" types are pricey. Simple toe separators are available from any beauty supply. They are used in beauty shops and spas when they paint nails. So don't fall for all that hype and get something inexpensive. Even simple toe stretching is better than nothing.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Amazon

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
Feather (04-29-2014), Jemima (11-30-2014), Mousehound (04-30-2014), Mscoffee (05-04-2014), rb. (04-30-2014), sandyd (05-05-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,445 Posts
I had surgery for Plantar Faciitis on my right foot. It's been many years ago. I wish the dr had known about all of this back then, it would have been a lot less pain.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Do you still have pain, Feather?

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
Old 04-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
Feather

No, the pain is gone. In the surgery they cut the tendon that goes along the bottom of the foot to the heel.

The other foot had tarsel tunnel problems. They went in and cut a tendon there and the only time it bothers me is if I let my ankle get to cold. I wear socks all year long just to keep it warm.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
lilly

I just started with the plantar fasccitis. Immediatly got a proper insole at Sports Authority which helps when I walk. I started putting menthol tape on the heel, and wrapping the foot in ace bandage at nite, since I thought part of the problem was heavy covers which pointed my toes down at nite.

Probably circulatory issues.

LOL in my decluttering spree I tossed away toe spreaders. Will have to get some, and get some of the proper tape for the day.

Thanks for the proper technique tape on how to tape it up properly. Will have to find the proper stuff at the drug store.

I was going to see an orthopod for my injection of my knee in a week or so, and an issue with an old stress fracture on my other foot which is giving me a problem.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,865 Posts
Still suffering with mine, going on two or three? years. I wear Birks in the house, but when I get up from sitting or sleeping barefooted, it's still there. No quite as bad. I have noticed when I wear my Reeboks, and kneel with toes flexed, it gets much worse (gardening, cleaning). That video makes sense in my situation.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #7
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

I've been conscientiously stretching my toes, especially my great toes trying to get those muscles into normal positions. I've had to fight cramps so I know I'm going in the right direction. They whole idea of cutting off the blood supply when the toes are forced into 'off' positions makes a great deal of sense to me. It's no wonder there is pain as the tissues become starved for blood.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,412 Times in 649 Posts
In the years before we moved up north where going barefoot was completely unreasonable my feet were tough and never gave me any problems at all.

After just a few years of wearing shoes nearly anytime was not sleeping they started giving me fairly consistent problems.

One year after being back in the south and being barefoot most of the time the problems are almost completely gone again and my feet are not flat anymore. Probably another summer and walking barefoot through the brush will be a non issue again as well.

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
lilly

I'm pretty sure it is how I sleep, and cutting off the blood supply. It is a major issue only in the mornings after I wake up.

I thought that was it, and now I'm sure.

Thank you Gecko.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,720 Times in 1,224 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Plantar Faciitis is what I am having problems with after seeing that video. My feet are a wreck. I can't even walk barefoot anymore, not that I ever liked it anyway. I have no padding on the bottoms of my feet, and it feels like I am walking on the bones without shoes, and I feel every little corn of cat litter I walk over. I always wear Birkenstocks, but I have the feeling that they may have made my feet worse. I should wear my Vibram 5 finger shoes at least an hour a day to improve my foot fitness. I guess I need toe spacers too.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #11
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

I think the Vibram 5 fingers is a very good idea and I've ordered some toe spacers for myself and my clients. Also, I've been using the big toe on one foot to help stretch the big toe on the other foot so I can do it while I'm sitting with my feet up. I have to be careful because I will get cramps in that aductor muscle. I consider that to be a good thing.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:40 PM   #12
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 4,968 Times in 1,957 Posts
DH can't spread his toes at all. I mean NOTHING. Tell him to do it and his big toe moves maybe 1/8 of an inch. The other four are completely immobile. He can't even begin to clench them.

I blame MIL. She hated bare feet and slippers and disliked tennis shoes, and made her kids wear hard leather shoes every waking moment.

Meanwhile, I go barefoot/slippered except when I absolutely have to wear shoes, and I can pick up quilter's ball-head pins with my toes. No, not by sticking the pin into them!
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:40 PM   #13
cottage
Member Level 1

Can someone tell my address of the You Tube video? I have had PF for over twenty years, I would like to view the video. For some reason those You Tube videos posted here always show blank on my IPad.

One thing that has helped me a lot is wearing "Smartfeet" insoles sold at sporting goods stores. I get the berry color- they have a lot of cushioning but also offer support and do add some rigidity to the dole of the shoe. So I guess my foot is not flexing as much.

At one point this was so bad I was going to get shock waves done at MGH. It is the same type of shock waves used to get rid of kidney stones only it's trained on your foot.
cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:01 AM   #14
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Cottage, I'm hoping that one of our more talented techies can help you with that.

You might check out their main site: https://correcttoes.com/

I found another illustrative vid:

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

Drum, I think you'll find this ^^ video interesting

Old 05-01-2014, 12:46 AM   #15
Feather

I have custom made insoles in my tennis shoes, work shoes and dress shoes. I got all three pairs while I was working. Being diabetic my insurance covered two pairs a year. That included three pairs of insoles for each shoe. My arch is so high that none of the commercial insoles worked for me.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:49 AM   #16
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Cottage, you might just try googling "Spread your toes" series

Old 05-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #17
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Wow! I can't believe he is actually running with those toe spreaders on.

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

I wore my Vibrams for about 2 hours today before the pain in my heel made me stop. It feels like my heel bone is grinding on the floor after a while.

Calorie Counter
Old 05-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #18
lilly

This came along just in time for me. thanks again for starting this discussion with some good youtubes.

I have been doing the right things automatically. I was sure I wasn't getting enough circulation in my toes. Using foot creams, massage, proper insoles, wide shoes etc. Will by Capsasin next trip to the dollar store or pharmacy.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #19
lilly

I think my fascitis might have been brought on by my second Cortesone shot. I'm leery of them, because of the possibility of bone necrosis, but have only had two in a year. Still, I want to improve my circulation now, so maybe it served a purpose and a warning. Circulation flushes away necrotic fascia. So I'm going to be paying close attention to that, and avoiding any further Cortesone.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #20
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I got my toe spreading socks yesterday, and wore them last night for the first time. After the first couple of minutes of strangeness, they were fine, and I woke up with my toes spread when I took off the socks. I hope this helps over time. I am using the Vibram shoes too.

Calorie Counter
Old 05-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #21
lilly

Got a couple of more of the plantar fasciitis innersoles for much less than those at Sports Authority. One is exactly the same but a lot cheaper from Rite Aid.

Also some gel things like half an egg, for under my high arched foot, some homeopather rub that the sales girl at right aid said is very good. She worked for a podiatrist and said above all don't walk barefoot. Also some capsasin rub. I had got some gel toe spreaders but somehow they got lost in the shopping. Might be in the trunk of friends car.

I'm going to do a few exercises as well.

I like the toe spreading socks.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #22
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

There are definitely more than one schools of thought about this. I truly believe that Dr. McClanahan is right track. To me the biopsies confirm that. The best methods to treat PF? Well, the jury is still out but starting with increased blood and lymph makes sense to me. It will be interesting to hear about everyone's experiences, get a little feedback and hopefully, have some productive discussions about the topic!

Old 05-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #23
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,865 Posts
Our replacement hot tub was used for the first time tonight. We didn't use the old one all winter, due to -20C temps.

Tonight my PF feet feel mahvelous.

I am getting some of those toe spreaders, though.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #24
dyrt
. . .

I met a man on Anegada Island that had never worn shoes. I think he was probably close to 30 years old, over six foot tall and probably weighed 230 lbs. His foot was spread really wide. The toes were not anywhere close to touching. The bottom had a callused pad of about 3/8 inch thick. He lead us on a hike across very rough and sharp rocks and had no pain. It was somewhat shocking to see the toughness and natural shape of the human foot.
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #25
sandyd
Beach Fun

Thanked 1,638 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottage View Post
Can someone tell my address of the You Tube video? I have had PF for over twenty years, I would like to view the video. For some reason those You Tube videos posted here always show blank on my IPad.

One thing that has helped me a lot is wearing "Smartfeet" insoles sold at sporting goods stores. I get the berry color- they have a lot of cushioning but also offer support and do add some rigidity to the dole of the shoe. So I guess my foot is not flexing as much.

At one point this was so bad I was going to get shock waves done at MGH. It is the same type of shock waves used to get rid of kidney stones only it's trained on your foot.
https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNPfbB2sX5Q

remove space : //

or on youtube search this title:
Spread Your Toes™ Series: Plantar Fasciosis (Fasciitis), Conservative Care vs. Conventional Care

---------- Post added at 06:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousehound View Post
Wow! I can't believe he is actually running with those toe spreaders on.

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

I wore my Vibrams for about 2 hours today before the pain in my heel made me stop. It feels like my heel bone is grinding on the floor after a while.
Have you been checked for a heel spur?
blue gecko (05-05-2014)

Tags
foot, pain