Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine

Alternative and Survival Medicine Investigations and discussion into health systems, practices, and products that are not considered part of conventional medicine.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #26
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,038 Times in 1,701 Posts
It may just take some time, Mouse. You might also consider incorporating the wrapping techniques shown in I think its the second video on this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whOS9-Nrw84

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #27
lilly

Friend at the complex's daughter had surgery for her plantar fasciitis and needed 5 injections after for the extreme pain. She was treated by an orthopedic surgeon. Has gone back to work, but remains in some pain.

If my pain doesn't by the end of the week, after doing what I can for myself, I will see an orthopod to get an x-ray just in case it is a heel spur.

I will be soaking my feet in very warm water and epson salts before bedtime, do some exercises, wrap the foot for warmth and try not to keep the toes pointed while asleep.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #28
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
Old 05-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #29
lilly

trying out different shoes and methods.

Threw away the half egg gel thing. It cramped the toes together. I cut the band back, top and bottom but I don't trust them. The walking shoes I'm wearing are wide with plenty of room up front for the toes to stretch out. too bad the gel toe spreaders vanished. The clerk may not have packed them.

I wear sandals all summer, and will have to be careful what I put on my feet. This episode of plantar fasciitis is a cautionary tale on what to wear, how to sleep etc. And to take good care of your feet, or else.

It really hampers my mobility and what I do.

Went back on Glucosamine complex for ligaments.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #30
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,445 Posts
I have a heel spur on my right foot and since I had surgery to cut the plantar tendon it hasn't bothered me a bit. I used to have a lot of pain from it. I worked on my feet, standing or walking miles every day.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:45 AM   #31
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,713 Times in 1,221 Posts
I don't have a heel spur, and that is not where my pain is usually located. I've been having some improvement using the toe spreading socks at night. I am rotating shoes, and using the Vibram 5 Finger shoes for at least 2 hours, and sometimes longer. I do notice some pain in the lower part of my arches after wearing them a long time. That is when I slip into my Birkies. For my workouts and shopping, I have to put on normal sport shoes, which probably cramp my toes again. I wear them no longer than I must.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #32
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

These videos really have me evaluating my shoes!

Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #33
lilly

Birkenstocks are now trendy according to one magazine I read, for summer.

Stopped at the Birkenstock store and their sale was over 2 weeks ago. They now feature a memory foam insole as well as their usual hard insole.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #34
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,411 Times in 648 Posts
I'm wearing Birkenstocks right now.. Have always liked them.

Find your size then go buy them off Amazon---it's like 50% cheaper.

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rryan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #35
lilly

Dug up the only pair of birkenstocks I own, and inserted the plantar fasciitis insoles , and it is lovely. I have a high arch which is part of the problem, and this supports the arch. Can't say I like the looks of it, and I prefer an open sandal at this point, but I'll try this out for a few days before I go trying on Birkenstocks, to order what I have tried on at Amazon

. Am leery of buying shoes on line unless I've tried on the shoe.

The best thing I've done seems to be wearing the toe socks for a few hours, which supplies warmth and does spread the toes.

Also taking care of my feet, which I don't always do unless a problem arises.

Maybe a wake up call now and then actually helps us in the long run.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #36
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Birkenstock shoes have their own insoles. Adding something else sort of defeats the idea of the shoes.

Calorie Counter
Old 05-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #37
lilly

I have a pair of Birkenstock Boston clogs. Wearing the Birkenstocks alone didn't stop the pain, with the buckles at their loosest and with a plantar fasciitis insole it stopped the pain completly. I am able to walk again without agony.

Today I added the gel toe spreader between my big toe and the second toe. (It slipped out of my bag in my Friends car trunk) So I'll see how that helps.

I'm hoping this will put an end to the plantar fasciitis pain. I have a very high arch. My solution might not be good for anyone with flat feet. The support to the arch wasn't just enough in regular walking shoes, but with the Birkenstocks it is a perfect support.

I felt like the little mermaid there for a couple of weeks. Every step was painful even with the plantar fasciitis insole or the Birkenstocks alone.

Yesterday I walked around without any pain for the first time in weeks.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #38
lilly

If you brought Vibram Shoes after March of 2009 you are entitled to a refund. There was a class action lawsuit.

I'm wriggling my toes in the morning, and I notice that after a week of exercising the toes look good in a very natural way as a bare foot,before I put them into shoes.

I've used the gel toe spacers now on the foot that had the old stress fracture, and it seems to help the pain from the arthritis that resulted from two stress fractures below the big toe.

Unlike a many of women my age, my toes aren't deformed from jamming them into those stupid pointy toed shoes that were fashionable in the 60's and then a few years ago. None of my toes overlap, but I believe this business of making sure they are straight and slightly separate is a good idea when it comes to circulation. I used to shudder when I saw the feet of old ladies when I tried on shoes. They had huge bunions, corns and the toes often overlapped.

Younger women wore better shoes growing up.

I've never worn uncomfortable clotheing or shoes.

And circulation is one of the cornerstones of health in our entire body.

Takeing good care of your feet is sensible.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:55 AM   #39
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Here is an article about the Vibram Five Finger shoes refund if you are interested. Personally, it isn't the reason that I bought the shoes in the first place. I just wanted to build up my foot toughness and foot strength. I never had plans of running in them. I have done short dog walks with them on though, but mostly just wear them around the house. Since doing so regularly, I no longer have the barefoot pain that I used to have. I also hope they are improving my misshapen foot posture. I have been also regularly been using the toe spreading socks at night, and the heel pain is lessening.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/cons...claims-n101301

Hat tip to Wojapi!

Calorie Counter
Old 05-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #40
lilly

Well, I had a total day without the slightest pain, but yesterday was the usual agony.

Today not so bad.

It seems that it will be a day to day thing. The feet are screaming, take care of me.

The achilles tendon was sore also yesterday. It popped but healed a while back. I have a lot of scar tissue from old injuries. Torn hamstrings etc

Going to start again with the deep tissue massage by my Chinese masseuse..

She is fabulous as a masseuse. Tiny, but strong hands, and very caring as a person.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #41
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Here is an article addressing the Vibram Five Finger shoes issue. It is from another forum.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/vibra...#axzz32RTgWflr

Calorie Counter
Old 05-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #42
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

As a follow up, I haven't been wearing the toe spreading socks at night since it has gotten too hot. The type of gel toe spreaders that I was able to buy are not useful for long periods, or under blankets. They are just too bulky. During the day I switch from flip-flops to my Vibrams, and sport shoes with a Birkenstock insole if I have to go out somewhere. I'm still having some pain in my foot, but I think it is a bit better. If I were working full time, I would be in a lot of pain though. I am going to buy one of those wedges to wear between my toes. I have been trying to find some toe socks to wear with my sport shoes. The stores don't have any, and the Internet prices are around 13-15 Euros a pair, which isn't cheap. I find that my regular socks really make my toes bunch up on themselves.

Calorie Counter
Old 05-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #43
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

I hadn't considered socks as a part of the problem. Right now I rarely wear them except when I wear my work boots. The pedicure toe spreaders I ordered came in and Max and I both have been wearing them for awhile in the evenings while we watch a movie (picture that LOL) Its only been a couple of days but I think there is some change happening. Even if there isn't it's relaxing though after awhile it gets a little uncomfortable. We just figure that our body's are telling us its time to stop.

I keep looking at shoes with a different eye and it looks like I've finally found the inspiration I need to get rid of my 'collection'. Imelda Marcos would be so proud of my fledgling-by-comparison collection. I still love nice shoes but now I love them in a different style

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

These are the toe spreaders I bought:

Amazon

Old 05-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #44
lilly

Deep Chinese massage helped my back and hip. Only 15 minutes for 10. I may go to her home for an hour massage when some money comes in. But now the 15 minutes is enough. I think walking in pain affects the hip and knee issues as well as the foot. I am unbalanced and it affects the knees and hip when the foot is so painful.

I don't wear socks in summer, usually sandals or zories and while I don't like the gel spreaders or the gel arch and don't use them, ( a waste of money there) simply spreading my toes naturally now and then in front of me when my feet are bare is enough to keep the toes aligned naturally as they should be in nature. Easy to do while watching T.V. Wriggle and spread the toes, Like a baby.

I think that bit of toe spreading, the orthonic arches to support my high arch and the gel in the heel,, the capsasin, and the magnesium are what I need in my personal therapy.

We all will find different solutions.

Just watch touching your eyes with the capsasin. My eye still smarts when I touched it yesterday.

I think making sure my foot has something ( a hard pillow) to brace against so it doesn't go into the ballet position pointing downward is a big issue as well. I make sure my toes on that foot goes up rather than down, this while sleeping. (I wake up once or twice a nite).

It may help as much as making sure the toes have space between them.

We have to make sure our feet are happy.

A lot in life is going from fight or flightr to relaxation. Sympathetic nervous system.

I was tensed up a lot of the time here in this complex with difficult people early in the morning which can ruin a whole day. 'Fight or flight. Most are gone, and I'm grateful not to see their sour and unhappy faces. Dismal souls.

I make sure I eat lunch with congenial and good people. Nothing exciting, simply pleasant interactions. But it sets the tone. Body tense, feet unhappoy, bones, tendons, ligaments all tensed up.

When our bodies tense up we make touble for ourselves.

Tight clothes, tight socks, tight shoes, tight situations.

Last edited by lilly; 05-22-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #45
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I am rather sensitive to the capsicum, so I got myself a box of latex gloves to apply it where I need it. Even if I wash my hands right away, my hands start to burn after a few minutes.

Calorie Counter
Old 05-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #46
lilly

I also got some cream for cramped calf muscles which I added to the mix. Three times a day now I do this exercise.

I bend my bad leg over the opposite thigh, and massage the foot, bending the toes back towards my shin for 10 seconds, 10 times. That and the creams and orthonic plantar fasciitis insoles seem to be helping.

I assume I'm going to have to take very good care of my feet, legs and joints for the rest of my life.

Will order something called Walkit that was on T.V. yesterday.
. The reviews by buyers on the internet say that they work. 19.99. Walkit Platinum.com Tel. in the U.S. 1-800-537.6856 .

Who knows, everyone responds differently to therapies of every sort. We all have to individualize our attack on painful conditions.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #47
dyrt
. . .

My foot is definitely better in the last few days. I did not realize just how much pain I had been enduring until it went away. All I did was just get more aggressive in home treatments. I don't know which of my activities starting working but here is what I am doing:
  • Soaked it in hot water every evening after work.
  • After it was warmed up, I started moving it around, stretching in different directions.
  • became super aware of its position while driving, sleeping, etc. and tried to keep it in a neutral position.
  • took a consistent but low dose of ibuprofen
  • forced myself to walk in a normal stride no matter how it felt
  • never went without Walkfit arch supports when I had to wear shoes
  • increased short bursts of activity to increase blood flow
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #48
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Lilly, if you watched those videos closely, the podiatrist recommended bending your toes in the opposite direction you are doing to lengthen the muscles. It is a bit difficult because the toes tend to cramp while doing it.

Calorie Counter
Old 05-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #49
lilly

The odd thing is that these problems might cause improvements in health, because you become of aware of what you are doing to your own physical detriment.

They make you stop and think.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #50
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

We have been having cooler days lately, and I'm back to wearing the toe spreading socks at night. That really feels much better.

BTW, they look like this:

Amazon

Calorie Counter

Last edited by Mousehound; 05-29-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Tags
foot, pain