Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Preparedness

Preparedness Join us to discuss all aspects of preparedness.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,327 Times in 2,672 Posts
Default Yellowstone Supervolcano Eruption

In The Event Of A Yellowstone Supervolcano Eruption, MIllions Of Americans Will be Displaced To Brazil, Australia, And Other Countries

This map from the U.S. Geological Service shows the range of the volcanic ash that was deposited after the three huge eruptions over the last 2.1 million years.

Yellowstone Volcano Eruption: Report Claims That US Has Contingency Deal With Brazil, Australia -- Epoch Times

If the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts then millions of U.S. citizens could end up in Brazil, Australia, or Argentina.

That’s according to the South African news website Praag, which said that the African National Congress was offered $10 billion a year for 10 years if it would build temporary housing for Americans in case of an eruption.

The potential eruption of the supervolcano, one of the biggest in the world, has been a hot topic ever since videos of animals allegedly fleeing the area before an earthquake were posted online. Although the veracity of the claims haven’t been backed up, dozens of bloggers and others have been trying to figure out what, if anything, is going on.

One of the latest theories is that the U.S. Geological Service and its partners, which keep an eye on the caldera, are hiding data from the public.

Read more ....
Old 05-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

Thanked 1,683 Times in 791 Posts
The Yellowstone Caldera, aka "No America West of the Mississippi when she blows".

"When the enemy is in range, so are you!" - Murphy
كافر & Proud
Glockd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glockd For This Useful Post:
proteus (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 7,578 Times in 3,241 Posts
OK --- I'm for this refugee heading for OZ. NZ would work, too. I like rugby but figure anyplace that has marsupials should be able to tolerate me

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 18,723 Times in 6,025 Posts
Have you forgotten--crocs, spiders, more venomous snakes than anywhere else, etc. etc.

I think I could shuffle around in the ash with less worry.

The truth shall set you free but not til it is finished with you.
David Foster Wallace
linttrap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to linttrap For This Useful Post:
proteus (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 7,578 Times in 3,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by linttrap View Post
Have you forgotten-- crocs, spiders, more venomous snakes than anywhere else, etc. etc.

I think I could shuffle around in the ash with less worry.
I'm in Florida. We have gators, recluse, brown and black widow spiders, rattlesnakes -- Diamond back, caneback and pygmy and cottonmouth........ Not to mention the non-native species like pythons, boas and freakin' nile monitors, for crying out loud

Hell, we've got a bucket load of creepy crawling, flying, jumping, stinging, biting, bugs and assorted other vermin.

Skeeters, love bugs, snowbirds, uber elderly senile and legally blind drivers, sinkholes, hurricanes, tornadoes, most of NJ and NY down here, YET, the only decent deli is like 30 miles south of us

Granted the later are just garden variety P.I.T.A's -- but the former in some areas are a very serious problem.

We've got grouper, wonderful, sweet grouper, but it does not make up for all the other stuff we have to deal with

Oz, on the other hand has cockatoos..... Leadbeaters/Maj Mitchell, Black Palm, Rosey Galah, Bare Eyed, Gang-Gang -- among others. Oz wins

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,381 Times in 640 Posts
I think Southern Chile or Argentina might be better as it will take the ash a long time to circulate down that way.

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
D. Gale
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,703 Times in 712 Posts
If it blows, I don't think it'll matter in a year or two. Sixth mass extinction level event, anyone?
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,618 Times in 949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Gale View Post
If it blows, I don't think it'll matter in a year or two. Sixth mass extinction level event, anyone?
Not quite that bad, but pretty bad. Could happen today or in 100,000 years or in a million years.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
D. Gale
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,703 Times in 712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysiphus View Post
Not quite that bad, but pretty bad. Could happen today or in 100,000 years or in a million years.
You're right. I was under the impression that all that ash meant a bigger worldwide impact. Apparently newer research shows that prior eruptions did not lead to mass extinctions. I just found this article from 2012:

Quote:
Based on the new models, the scientists now think the vast majority of Earth's species would weather a Yellowstone supereruption just fine (except, of course, for those knocked out due to proximity of the initial blast). They don't see any evidence in the geologic record of mass extinctions coinciding with supereruptions, and they don't predict extinctions to result from such geologic events in the future.

"The last time Yellowstone erupted, no extinctions took place," said Michael Rampino, a biologist and geologist at New York University. "Supereruptions are not extinction-level events," he said, but added that they can obviously cause problems for civilization.
http://www.livescience.com/20714-yel...-eruption.html
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,852 Times in 1,821 Posts
And where will the food come from? Mt. St. Helen's eruption destroyed a summer in Central Canada. That was puny compared to what Yellowstone would put out. I'm sure temps would dive for several seasons, unless the ash from Yellowstone is heavier, and droppedoutof the atmosphere sooner. Taking a good part of North America out of food production would be problematic.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 9,953 Times in 4,381 Posts
It would ground North American air traffic for a year or more, prevent the movement of goods on the Mississippi, impede evacuation and emergency response from and to affected areas, impact the refineries in the Gulf, lower temperatures worldwide, impact farming worldwide, and do a lot of things that aren't even on our radar right now (increase in lung disease due to inhalation of microscopic volcanic ash, weather satellites unable to see through the ash cloud, mass die offs of aquatic plants and animals).

Not extinction level but a booming business for mass grave diggers.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,148 Times in 3,347 Posts
Quote:
That’s according to the South African news website Praag, which said that the African National Congress was offered $10 billion a year for 10 years if it would build temporary housing for Americans in case of an eruption.

And just how are we supposed to get to SA? I doubt there will be many planes flying. Anyone for a very, very long round of Row, Row, Row Your Boat?

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,381 Times in 640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbird View Post
And just how are we supposed to get to SA? I doubt there will be many planes flying. Anyone for a very, very long round of Row, Row, Row Your Boat?
Good point. South America on the other hand isn't that hard to get to.

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #14
dyrt
. . .

How come nobody wants to go to Canada.

If the ash was bad here, I would take a boat down the Mexican Gulf coast until I found a village that would take me in. I wonder how Mexicans would feel about a few million U.S. citizens rushing into their country.
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #15
flourbug

If the temperature drops like it did in 1816 then Canada is the last place you want to be.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #16
Twoolf
One more day in the world. Life is good!

Thanked 1,772 Times in 853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrt View Post
How come nobody wants to go to Canada.

If the ash was bad here, I would take a boat down the Mexican Gulf coast until I found a village that would take me in. I wonder how Mexicans would feel about a few million U.S. citizens rushing into their country.
Probably the same way we feel about millions of mexicans crashing into this country.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:42 PM   #17
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 5,483 Times in 2,486 Posts
Re living in Australia .

Quote:
Have you forgotten--crocs, spiders, more venomous snakes than anywhere else, etc. etc.
Crocs only live up north , snakes I virtually never see and our spiders are very soft
to sleep on .

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche

Last edited by Ross; 05-09-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:00 AM   #18
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,852 Times in 1,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
If the temperature drops like it did in 1816 then Canada is the last place you want to be.
Not to mention, depending on the time of year of the eruption, and the positioning of the jet stream, Canada may be right behind you. Thank gawd for NAFTA.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:57 AM   #19
proteus
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Re living in Australia .

Crocs only live up north , snakes I virtually never see and our spiders are very soft
to sleep on .

Dont forget you have Magpies like Spitfires.....Regard N.
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:28 AM   #20
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,327 Times in 2,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
It would ground North American air traffic for a year or more, prevent the movement of goods on the Mississippi, impede evacuation and emergency response from and to affected areas, impact the refineries in the Gulf, lower temperatures worldwide, impact farming worldwide, and do a lot of things that aren't even on our radar right now (increase in lung disease due to inhalation of microscopic volcanic ash, weather satellites unable to see through the ash cloud, mass die offs of aquatic plants and animals).

Not extinction level but a booming business for mass grave diggers.
I am not seeing how the Gf refineries would be impacted other than just generally like the rest of the economy. Do you think something specific?
Old 05-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #21
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,133 Times in 602 Posts
Hmmmmmm.... I have been hearing about earthquakes in the general area. I have heard the a read is rising in elevation. I have heard the animals are leaving. I have heard Federal departments are buying more bullets than there are people in the world. It would not be the biggest event in human history - but it would be in the top 5.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #22
flourbug

Quote:
I am not seeing how the Gf refineries would be impacted other than just generally like the rest of the economy. Do you think something specific?
In Wyoming, the Lava Creek Tuff is 590–660 ft thick. 1000 km from the Yellowstone Caldera, the Lava Creek ash bed is half a meter thick. That has been compressed over the last 600,000+ years, it is welded down to nearly a rocklike state. I think it is fairly reasonable to expect at least a foot of ash to fall in Gulf between Texas and Louisiana. In addition the Mississippi and its tributaries are going to dump a massive amount of ash into the Gulf. All machinery is going to be affected.

Volcanic ash-containing sandstones have been identified in many locations across
the Gulf of Mexico (Figure 1.1and 1.2). These are distributed widely across the Gulf,
from sandstones of variable age (Hanan et al., 1998). The thicknesses of the deposits are variable, with some ash-rich beds over 300 feet thick. The thickness of the deposits and their association with other sediments suggests they are not all volcanogenic air-fall. It is believed the deposits have been reworked from previously ash falls.

http://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/bitst...9EB?sequence=1
Old 05-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #23
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,133 Times in 602 Posts
I did not know we had volcanic ash beds in the Gulf of Mexico!

I think I read the other day we also have volcanos there!? (Found it: http://thisbluemarble.com/showthread.php?t=57820
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #24
flourbug

There are ash beds all over the world, because our beginnings were volcanic. There are recently active volcanoes in the Caribbean that spread ash into the Gulf. But the link I provided traced a significant portion of the ash beds in the area where there's oil drilling to the Yellowstone eruptions.

That just makes sense. If you look at a map, the tributaries in the Lava Creek Ash Bed area all lead to the Mississippi, and that river leads into the Gulf.

It was difficult to imagine the DEPTH of these ash beds... hundreds of feet deep near the caldera and still half a meter deep in eastern Kansas. When that ash fell it had to be much deeper and I assume still carried quite a bit of heat. America was smothered and cooked.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:36 AM   #25
afljafa
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysiphus View Post
Cant happen until after november. My better half and I will be in the states for 5 weeks so if we could organise it for later that would be great.

Ta.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Re living in Australia .

to sleep on .

Drop Bears Ross.
afljafa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afljafa For This Useful Post:
ukmum (05-14-2014)

Tags
eruption, supervolcano, yellowstone