Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Ebola

Ebola News, information and discussions about prevention, spread, and treatment of Ebola. Also see our Ebola Wiki at ebola.thisbluemarble.com

Old 07-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #26
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,548 Times in 2,066 Posts
Quote:
NCAA suspends ASky Airline for flying Ebola virus victim into Nigeria

Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has suspended all ASky Airline flight operations to Nigeria over the transportation of an Ebola virus victim into the country.

Mr Benedict Adeyileka, the Acting Director-General of NCAA, announced the decision in a statement issued by the General Manager, Public Communications of NCAA, Mr Fan Ndubuoke, in Lagos on Monday.

He said that the regulatory authority had to take the action to protect Nigerians from the deadly Ebola virus, currently ravaging some parts of Africa.

The News agency of Nigeria reports that ASky Airline is an important player in East, West and Central Africa, operating 80 flights into Lagos and Abuja weekly.
http://dailyindependentnig.com/2014/...ctim-nigeria/?
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #27
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Liberia suspends all football as Ebola cases soar in West Africa

Posted: Tuesday, 29th July 2014

Liberia has suspended all football activities in an effort to control the spread of the deadly Ebola virus.

There was a risk of infection because football is a contact sport, the football association said.

The number of people killed by the virus in West Africa has now reached 672, the WHO says.
http://www.ghanasoccernet.com/liberi...-west-africa/?
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #28
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Didn't sleep well - stupid cats; catching up with morning news & stuff on this outbreak. Dietrich, I have to, (reluctantly because it's scary), agree with you on the 'less than direct contact' assessment. There has been more than one documented case of caregivers in outbreaks not having touched a patient or contaminated stuff without barrier gear & coming down with it. In the original outbreak - think it was the original - a doctor was trying to intubate a patient & ended up with a face full of virus laden 'cough product' - got sick. Similar events have happened more than once.

Even spraying disinfectant on corpses & contaminated items is risky. Too vigorous a spraying before the virus is dead from disinfectant can toss it into the air - into unprotected eyes & mucous membranes of the lungs, mouth, eyes, nose... definitely not something you want happening. It's easy to understand why health care workers, no matter how careful they're trying to be, still end up catching it, in spite of the extreme precautions they're trying to take. WHO disinfection guidelines warn several times to avoid cleaning/disinfecting activities that might result in splashing. Splashing not only results in direct contact but puts virus in the air - if only briefly. I would think aerosol virus contact is less risky than direct contact exposure but still a high risk event, especially if several such exposures happen in short order - Ebola doesn't require a high viral load to cause illness & under the circumstances - long hours, exhaustion, etc... I'd expect some people would be more vulnerable. Mrs. Writebol handled disinfecting people coming in & out of ebola rooms - is this how she was infected? Who knows...

doc_jake - his sister died of Ebola 3 weeks before Mr. Sawyer took ill He'd claimed no contact with her but we'll never know.

Exodia - not sure about such a widespread border closure previously.

Mordan - the potential for problems in China should be deeply concerning as yes, they're all over Africa. I can't help but wonder if the plague case in Yunan wasn't serving as a trial run to see how quickly & effectively they could impose a widespread quarantine? That sort of quarantine for ONE case of plague was way over the top.

I'm really unhappy that passenger manifests for the 3 flights taken by Mr. Sawyer have not been made available to any health authorities. Even if they're incomplete, the more people that can be contacted, traced, the better.

Dr. Brantley is this morning, reported to be deteriorating. Mrs. Writebol is not doing well either. CNN was discussing the possibility of them being repatriated to the US for further treatment. Personally, I don't see a positive risk/benefit ratio in doing that.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Exodia - post #12 on this thread gives some details on the known contacts. It's not clear but it seems many of these were contacts from the hospital - still no manifest to make sure all potentially affected passengers have been contacted.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #29
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Nice summary of numbers here:

Quote:
Ebola spreads to Nigeria

The worst ever outbreak of Ebola virus in West Africa has ravaged communities in the Republic of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, and now there is the first probable case reported in Nigeria. Undetected chains of transmission are active, as 108 new cases are reported within two days.

Described as the worst epidemic of Ebola Virus Disease to date, it has claimed a total of 672 deaths from 1,201 cases, a mortality rate of around sixty per cent. According to the World Health Organization, the distribution of the cases is as follows: Republic of Guinea 427 cases, 319 deaths; Liberia 249 cases, 129 deaths; Sierra Leone 525 cases, 224 deaths; Nigeria 1 case (probable). The cases reported include confirmed, probable and suspected cases.

There were 96 new cases reported from Liberia and Sierra Leone between July 21 and July 23 (7 deaths) and 12 new cases (5 deaths) in Guinea. The surge in new cases in Guinea comes after a low infection period, meaning that new series of transmission have spiked.
http://english.pravda.ru/health/29-0...ola_spreads-0/
Old 07-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #30
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Just heard a report that a Canadian doctor, also working with Samaritan's Purse in Liberia has returned to Canada & placed himself in self - isolation. No details on if he thought he's been exposed or is acting with an abundance of caution. The network reporting this is notoriously slow at updating their web site but I'll post any relevant details as they become available.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #31
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Nigeria admits precise number of people Ebola victim could have infected is not known as 59 people are placed under close surveillance

snip
Mr Sawyer took two flights to reach Lagos, from Monrovia to Lome and then onto the Nigerian capital.

So far 59 people who came into contact with Mr Sawyer have been identified by Nigerian health officials, and are under surveillance.

But the airlines have yet to release flight manifests naming each passenger and crew member.

In the immediate aftermath of Nigeria's first death from the disease, health chiefs shut and quarantined the hospital involved.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz38rpIAijK
Old 07-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #32
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 4,907 Times in 1,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Sue
I'm really unhappy that passenger manifests for the 3 flights taken by Mr. Sawyer have not been made available to any health authorities. Even if they're incomplete, the more people that can be contacted, traced, the better.
You aren't going to see those passengers reporting to hospital for quarantine. They're scattered, and if they have any suspicion that they were infected, -- especially if they were traced and contacted -- they'll be in hiding, possibly even after they break with the disease. This isn't over by a long shot.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #33
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
You aren't going to see those passengers reporting to hospital for quarantine. They're scattered, and if they have any suspicion that they were infected, -- especially if they were traced and contacted -- they'll be in hiding, possibly even after they break with the disease. This isn't over by a long shot.
Typo hopefully??

Quote:
Nigeria tracing over 30,000 potentially exposed to Ebola virus

Authorities are trying to trace around 30,000 people who had either direct or indirect contact with the Liberian virus carrier who collapsed after flying to Lagos on 20 June and died four days later at a private hospital.

"This is a firm confirmation that we had the virus brought to us, and only God knows how far it has transmitted," said Professor Sunday Omilabu, who works on the front line of Nigeria's battle with the virus.

It was in his laboratory at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital that the country's first known case was confirmed.

Professor Omilabu said that they have been trying to reach anyone whose life could be at risk by a potential exposure.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0729/633686-ebola/?
Old 07-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #34
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Typo on at least one count - he flew in JULY 20th. We 'know' of 59 contacts. I'm going to assume 30,000 should have been 300 - the 59 previously mentioned & 241 total pax/crew on the flights... close enough.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #35
mordan
Member - Re

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ebola-o...#ixzz38sD1yG1V

Ebola outbreak: Canadian MD in quarantine after work in Liberia

Andrea Janus, CTVNews.ca
Published Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:21AM EDT

A Canadian doctor is in self-imposed quarantine after spending nearly a month in West Africa treating patients in the deadly Ebola outbreak that has claimed nearly 700 lives.

Dr. Azaria Marthyman of Victoria, B.C. was among a handful of Canadian health-care workers who travelled to Liberia, one of three countries hit by the outbreak. He was part of a North American team from the Christian relief organization Samaritan’s Purse.

Dr. Marthyman worked at the agency’s facility in Liberia’s capital, Monrovia, before returning to Canada last Saturday. While he has not tested positive for the disease, he has quarantined himself as a precaution.

“Azaria is symptom-free right now and there is no chance of being contagious with Ebola if you are not exhibiting symptoms,” Melissa Strickland, a spokesperson for Samaritan’s Purse, told CTV Vancouver Island.
mordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #36
Dietrich
Niche player

More on Canadian doc in Victoria:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ebola-o...eria-1.1936922
Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #37
Dietrich
Niche player

Germany just agreed to accept an Ebola patient. Rumors are he's a top doc. Nevertheless seems like a risky move to me. More here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...treatment.html

Last edited by Dietrich; 07-29-2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: he hasn't been flown there yet
The Following User Says Thank You to Dietrich For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #38
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,171 Times in 625 Posts
I have a question: Have we ever seen a bug go "airborne"? Is the possibility totally hypothetical - or is there a precedent?

We have seen H5N1 change, but going airborne is a big leap?!
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #39
mordan
Member - Re

Ebola can and has previously. Many may already have had it and are afforded some protection.

Last edited by mordan; 07-29-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #40
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 4,907 Times in 1,947 Posts
There is definite proof that Ebola Reston went airborne. Infected monkeys, with no physical contact between cages, spread the disease to other caged monkeys, both in their room and in a second room. (Not a biological containment facility -- the monkeys had been brought in for other medical experiments.) The workers who had been caring for the monkeys also tested positive, but received such a mild case that they showed no signs of illness.

So we do know that it CAN and HAS gone airborne in the past. Did it become less virulent in going airborne? Or were humans just not very susceptible to that strain of Ebola? Until and unless a nasty, human-killing strain goes airborne, we won't know.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #41
Dietrich
Niche player

I think I feel a cough coming on..but seriously, I work in a field where I come into near daily contact with Nigerians, and I mean people who have taken a direct flight from Lagos to NYC.

So I'm worried at this point. Perhaps irrationally. But an awful lot of uncertainty about that patient who arrived in Lagos, what 8 days ago, and took 3 planes, with a disease that has an incubation period of up to 21 days. And the passengers on those planes not put in isolation. Any of them headed to NYC? Heathrow?

Guess there's nothing to be done about it. And that is some comfort I guess. Now, who wants some tequila shots?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #42
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,033 Times in 4,410 Posts
I would be concerned too, Dietrich. Are you allowed to wear latex gloves in your job?
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #43
Dietrich
Niche player

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
I would be concerned too, Dietrich. Are you allowed to wear latex gloves in your job?
Well, I mean I could, but it would look really strange and my colleagues would raise eyebrows and might ask me to knock it off.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #44
mordan
Member - Re

Not on your head Dietrich.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #45
Dietrich
Niche player

An Ebola victim who was allowed to board an international flight was an American citizen on his way home to the United States, it has emerged.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ome-to-US.html
Fellow passengers on his plane were given warnings about the disease’s symptoms, which can include bleeding from the nose and mouth, but were allowed to continue on their journeys.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #46
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,348 Posts
Just tossing this a couple of things into the mix.

The first is that I wonder if this strain has somehow become more persistent - that is, that it's capable of surviving outside a host for a longer time, and/or in less than ideal environments, than previously. This could explain why it seems like it might be airborne when it actually isn't. But if correct, it would explain why the source of transmission for some patients can't be directly traced.

And the 2nd item is from VoA:

Nigeria Faces Possible Ebola Outbreak Amid National Doctors’ Strike

Quote:
In the midst of a national doctors' strike, Nigerian authorities are now working to prevent an outbreak of Ebola, after the country’s first patient died last week. The strike leaves Nigeria's hospitals unprepared to treat or contain the disease if it begins to spread.

Doctors said Nigerian hospitals were in a state of near collapse, and they would strike until the government supplied them with enough resources to adequately treat their patients.

“Some of the equipment they use are obsolete. Researches are not implemented and actually they are not proactive,” said Okeoghene Eboibi, who heads the engineering department at Delta State Polytechnic. He said the state of the hospitals was all the more frightening since the threat of an Ebola outbreak emerged in Nigeria last week.

...But Lagos State Heath Commissioner Jide Idris said many more could be out there.

“In collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Aviation I've also put into motion mechanisms to track down all contacts at high risk,” said Idris.

He said the government was also trying to prepare for an outbreak, by screening travelers when they entered the country, by spreading information about the disease to the public, and by building an isolation unit in Lagos.

But these tasks are complicated by the refusal of doctors to end their strike, which began nearly a month ago.

Atonyebe Oyede, a Nigerian civil servant, said the government was doing everything it can, but preventing the spread of the disease amid the chaos of Nigeria’s health care system would require an act of God.

“You see that this Ebola outbreak, other African countries we have experienced it, but here in Nigeria we live by faith,” said Oyede.

The Nigerian Medical Association says if there is an outbreak, the union has “structures in place to respond to emergencies.” But with doctors themselves getting the disease in other countries, many Nigerians also wonder, if there is an outbreak, if an end to the strike would be much help.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #47
mordan
Member - Re

Bill Bailey told WCNC that Nancy Writebol's condition changes "hour by hour."

http://www.wect.com/story/26135244/f...weak-and-tired
Old 07-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #48
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,348 Posts
A few details from the CDC HAN Advisory issued yesterday (CDCHAN-00363):
Quote:
...As of July 23, 2014, according to WHO, a total of 1,201 cases and 672 deaths (case fatality 55-60%) had been reported in Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone. This is the largest outbreak of EVD ever documented and the first recorded in West Africa.

...In addition, health authorities have reported that two U.S. healthcare workers at ELWA hospital in Monrovia, Liberia, have confirmed Ebola virus infection. One of the healthcare workers, a physician who worked with Ebola patients in the hospital, is symptomatic and in isolation. The other healthcare worker, a hygienist, developed fever but is showing no other signs of illness. The physician is an employee of Samaritan’s Purse, a North Carolina-based aid organization that has provided extensive assistance in Liberia since the beginning of the current outbreak. The other healthcare worker works with Serving in Mission (SIM) in Liberia and was helping the joint SIM/Samaritan’s Purse team.

So, it does appear that the 2 Americans did work in the same hospital setting - ELWA Hospital in Monrovia. However, the CDC's info on the 2nd one seems a little out of date. But it will be interesting to see if any other HCW's from that hospital test positive. If so, that might indicate there is an issue specific to that location.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #49
mordan
Member - Re

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/0...0FY1Z120140729

Sierra Leone's top Ebola doctor dies from virus

Not going to Hamburg for treatment.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #50
Dreamweaver
Senior Level 3