Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Ebola

Ebola News, information and discussions about prevention, spread, and treatment of Ebola. Also see our Ebola Wiki at ebola.thisbluemarble.com

Old 02-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #901
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,749 Times in 2,138 Posts
Another wave on the way??

Quote:
Unsafe burials increase in Ebola-hit countries: WHO

AFP
February 19, 2015 6:20 AM

Geneva (AFP) - Ebola-hit Sierre Leone and Guinea saw an increase in the last week in unsafe burials that risk spreading the disease, the World Health Organization reported.

In Guinea, there were 39 unsafe burials and in Sierre Leone, there were 45 reported in the week to February 15, WHO said in a report late Wednesday.

Ensuring safe burials of the highly contagious bodies of those who die from the virus has been a top priority in fight against the deadly virus.

WHO also warned that more than 40 new confirmed Ebola cases in the two countries had been identified only after the infected people had died in their communities, and not in treatment facilities.
http://news.yahoo.com/unsafe-burials...112025290.html
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #902
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
I would think so - give it a week or two lag time & case numbers in both countries will increase.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #903
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
99 Ebola cases in past week, nearly two-thirds in Sierra Leone: WHO

Reuters
11 hours ago

GENEVA (Reuters) - Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone reported 99 new confirmed Ebola cases in the week to Feb. 22, down from 128 the previous week, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday.

Sierra Leone accounted for the bulk of the latest infections with 63, signalling a halt to a steep decline recorded from December through January, followed by Guinea with 35 and Liberia just a single case, the U.N. agency said in its weekly report.

"Cases continue to arise from unknown chains of transmission," the WHO said. Sixteen of the new cases were identified in Guinea and Sierra Leone after post-mortem testing of people who died in the community "indicating that a significant number of individuals are still either unable or reluctant to seek treatment."

In all, more than 23,500 cases have been reported in the three West African countries, with more than 9,500 deaths, since the world's worst outbreak began in December 2013.

(Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay)
http://news.yahoo.com/99-ebola-cases...074957697.html
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #904
gsgs
searching for truth

Reuters - ‎22 minutes ago‎

GENEVA (Reuters) - An independent advisory body will decide in August at the earliest on whether to recommend widespread introduction of an Ebola vaccine, depending on results of clinical trials and the epidemic's course, the World Health Organization ...
Old 05-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #905
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
New Ebola cases in Guinea, Sierra Leone show huge effort still needed - WHO

Reuters By Stephanie Nebehay
4 hours ago

GENEVA (Reuters) - Guinea and Sierra Leone reported 35 new Ebola cases in the past week, four times as many as the week before, in a reminder that the virus "will not go quietly", a top World Health Organization official said on Tuesday.

"It will take an extraordinary effort to finish the job," the WHO's special representative for Ebola, Bruce Aylward, told a briefing attended by health ministers.

"With the start of the rainy season today, the doubling of effort will be that much more difficult, that much more important," he added, referring to increased logistical challenges for health workers.

The 35 new cases in the week to May 17 were in six districts of Guinea and Sierra Leone, with most infections in Guinea, Aylward said, giving no breakdown of the preliminary figures. A total of nine were confirmed the previous week.
http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-cases-gu...131330256.html
Old 05-19-2015, 09:28 PM   #906
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I remain happily surprised that we've seen so few cases crop up outside the 3 current Hot Zone countries to date... bloody good bit of luck, that's been.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #907
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Ebola spikes again in Guinea, Sierra Leone: WHO

AFP
23 minutes ago

Geneva (AFP) - The number of Ebola cases has risen in Guinea and Sierra Leone for the second consecutive week, the World Health Organization said Wednesday.

In Guinea, 16 new cases were found in the week ending June 7, with 15 more found in neighbouring Sierra Leone.

In the previous week, 13 new cases had been found in Guinea, a clear increase on the nine reported a week before that.

The pattern was similar in Sierra Leone, where 12 new cases were found in the last week of May compared to only three the previous week.

"This is the second consecutive weekly increase in case incidence," the WHO said.

Ebola has killed 11,158 of the 27,237 people infected, the WHO said in its latest situation report.

The number of health workers affected in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia has risen to 869, of whom 507 have died, since the current epidemic broke out in west Africa in December 2013
http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-spikes-a...191945612.html
Old 06-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #908
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
New cases of Ebola emerge after reports of decline in deadly virus

SERINA SANDHU Friday 12 June 2015

Dozens of new Ebola cases in West Africa have emerged in recent weeks, following a decline in the number of people contracting the virus in April and May.

In a Situation Report published on 10 June, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported there had been more than 30 new cases of the virus last week.

There were 14 new cases this week, according to CNN.

“In recent weeks, the decline in case incidence and the contraction of the geographic area affected by Ebola virus disease (EVD) transmission that was apparent throughout April and early May has stalled,” said the WHO.

“This is the second consecutive weekly increase in case incidence, and the highest weekly total number of cases reported from Sierra Leone since late March,” said WHO.

Of the 31 reported last week, 16 were in Guinea and 15 in Sierra Leone. The WHO said that the cases were emerging from a "widening geographical area" in both countries.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10315546.html
Old 06-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #909
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

That whole ''widening geographical area" bit is worrisome - to put it mildly.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #910
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Yes. The story is somewhat a re-hash of the post above, but that sentence caught my eye and I figured it was worth posting.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:15 AM   #911
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Health authorities repeating mistakes in Ebola fight: MSF

June 14, 2015

Health authorities are repeating the mistakes of the past in combatting Ebola, more than a year after its onset in Guinea and Sierra Leone, the international president of Doctors Without Borders (MSF) warned Saturday.

Joanne Liu's remarks come a day after Sierra Leone imposed a three-week daytime curfew in the last Ebola-hit areas in a bid to curb a resurgence of the deadly virus, which has killed about 3,900 people in the country.

Neighbouring Liberia was declared Ebola-free in May, but hopes that Sierra Leone and Guinea would quickly follow suit have been dashed in recent weeks.

"We are still making the same mistakes as we did in the past," said Liu.

"We know now that engaging the community in the response is essential," she added. "But we also know that leadership at the government level... is absolutely essential."

Liu said that when "certain political interests are prioritised over the response to the epidemic, this does not work," an apparent reference to Guinea, where the issue of combatting Ebola has been a subject of debate between President Alpha Conde and the opposition.

The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday the retreat of the virus "has stalled",
after a second consecutive weekly increase in incidences of Ebola in Guinea and Sierra Leone.
http://thepeninsulaqatar.com/news/in...bola-fight-msf
Old 06-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #912
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Pathogens are not card carrying members of any political party & I can't but shake my head at the thought that political ambitions would trump genuine concern for one's countrymen?
Old 06-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #913
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Pregnant Ebola patient may have been contagious for days without symptoms

Reuters By Gene Emery
1 hour ago

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Pregnant women infected with Ebola may be contagious for days before they show symptoms, a group of doctors is warning in the June 18 New England Journal of Medicine.

The warning is based on a single case and the woman did not actually spread the deadly infection to anyone. But laboratory tests revealed high levels of the virus when no symptoms were present.

Usually people aren't considered to be contagious until they start to feel ill.

The reason pregnant women may be an exception may have to do with the way pregnancy affects the woman's body, the doctors say. Her immune system becomes more tolerate of the fetus, whose tissues would normally be considered foreign.

As a result, her symptoms may take longer to become obvious.

"The unique immunologic status of pregnant women might alter disease presentation and progression," the doctors write in a letter to the Journal.
http://news.yahoo.com/pregnant-ebola...124114264.html
Old 06-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #914
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

This disease is loathesome enough & it's particularly galling that so many 'lessons' are being learned the hard way.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #915
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

I guess of the few upsides to this mess, a massive amount of data is one of them.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #916
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

And the most frustrating part for me? It's glaringly obvious what needs to be done to stop it; certain practices not be followed & simple hygiene practices BE followed. Hygiene is still beyond the means of many, (Hello? Government?) & practices that should have ended until the All Clear had been sounded - haven't been.

18 months later...
Old 07-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #917
Sonny
Star Witness

Ebola outbreak: 30 new cases a week
Updated 13 July 2015

There is still a big worry about the Ebola outbreak with around 30 people being infected a week, says a special envoy, David Nabarro, at conference in Cape Town.

Ebola virus from Shutterstock ~

The Ebola outbreak in Africa has not run its course and around 30 people are still getting infected each week, the United Nations' special envoy for the disease said on Monday.

The worst recorded outbreak of the virus has killed more than 11 000 people across West Africa since late 2013, but had abated in recent months. A new flare-up in Liberia is seen as a setback in the fight against it.

"The battle can be won, but it requires sustained effort, very careful negotiation with communities and perfection in follow-up of everybody who has been a contact," David Nabarro told a media briefing in Cape Town.

Man spreads Ebola via sex 5 months after cured

He said under normal circumstances, an infection rate of 30 people a week would be considered "a major, major outbreak".

"Probably about one third of these people are not coming from the contact list, which means they are surprise cases, and that's a big worry," Nabarro earlier told a conference organised by the World Health Organisation.

Infection rates are down from the peak of the crisis. But Liberia reported a 17-year-old boy tested positive for the virus on June 30 - almost two months after the country was declared free of Ebola.

Liberia, the country worst hit by the outbreak, had been hailed as an example for neighbouring Guinea and Sierra Leone, which are also struggling to stop the spread of the disease.

Forgetting the ABC

Olawale Maiyegun, social affairs director at the African Union Commission, said it seemed communities were forgetting a key "ABC" or "avoid body contact" rule and becoming complacent.

"Where is the ABC rule? I saw people dancing together, I was alarmed in (Sierra Leone's capital) Freetown," Maiyegun told journalists at the same briefing.

The Ebola outbreak has galvanised a global response. Last week donor countries pledged another $3.4 billion in addition to $1.8 billion of unspent money in an effort to eradicate a disease that has wreaked economic and social havoc.

Concern over loss of health staff

Meanwhile, the World Bank said last week in a statement that more than 4 000 women could die from complications during pregnancy and childbirth in Ebola-hit countries due to the loss of doctors, nurses and midwives to the epidemic,

The loss of health workers to Ebola could increase maternal mortality in Guinea by 38 percent, 74 percent in Sierra Leone and more than 100 percent in Liberia, the bank said in a report.

New Ebola test gives results in 11 minutes

"The loss of health workers to Ebola could increase maternal deaths up to rates last seen in these countries 15-20 years ago," said Markus Goldstein, lead economist at the World Bank.

Health workers have died at a higher rate than other segments of the population group, the World Bank said.

More than 500 health care staff are among the over 11 200 people killed in West Africa by the hemorrhagic fever that continues to claim lives.
The ensuing lack of medical skills puts a further strain on already battered healthcare systems and is likley to affect mortality not related to Ebola even when the three countries are declared free from it, said the report.

http://www.health24.com/Medical/infe...ncern-20150713

~
Sonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #918
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thank you Sonny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
He said under normal circumstances, an infection rate of 30 people a week would be considered "a major, major outbreak".
Yes, how quickly we have transitioned to the "new normal".
Old 08-31-2015, 10:24 AM   #919
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

A good article, the rest at the link.

Quote:
Liberia: MRU Researchers, Scientists Pledge to Eradicate Ebola Virus

Monrovia — The fight to kick out infectious diseases from the sub-region most especially Ebola which has ravaged Liberia, Sierra and Guinea, continues unabated. And more than ever before Researchers and scientists from the MRU quartet (Liberia, Guinea, Sierra Leone and Ivory Coast) agreed to collaborate through technology and knowledge sharing in clinical research studies to eradicate the EVD which has left over 10,000 people dead in the region with Liberia suffering the worst after over four thousand died from the disease.

Last Thursday, August 27, 2015, MRU researchers and scientists from the subregion and their partners from the United States, Europe, West Africa and other parts of the world ended a two-day meeting in Monrovia intended to look deeper into ethics and regulatory challenges during emergency situations.

The aim was to take stock of the decisions they made during their respective crisis, what was acceptable and workable during the prevailing health emergencies keeping in mind ethics and regulatory dimensions as well as lessons learnt in the process. They generally admitted that they had to circumvent certain ethical and regulatory considerations to decisions based on the prevailing situations at the time.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201508311314.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
CanadaSue (08-31-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #920
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,107 Times in 651 Posts
New cases:

http://news.yahoo.com/two-ebola-case...100546661.html

It's ba-a-a-a-ck..,
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #921
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Damn - before bed last night, I'd read they were two weeks since their last case & figured I'd wait until this morning to post that.

This is a blow in that region.

Tags
2014, african, ebola, outbreak, west