Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Ebola

Ebola News, information and discussions about prevention, spread, and treatment of Ebola. Also see our Ebola Wiki at ebola.thisbluemarble.com

Old 09-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #26
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,252 Times in 3,371 Posts
Seems to be all clear.

CDC: Tests come back negative after patient tested for Ebola in Miami - @miguelcbs4

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #27
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
Had one in Windsor today as well - now being classed negative. It takes at least 24 hours to get the test results here - they all go to Winnipeg so far, so I'm thinking he ust have tested positive for something easy.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:51 AM   #28
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,130 Posts
Quote:
Italy investigating first possible case of Ebola

Tribune wire report
8:06 a.m. EDT, September 9, 2014

ROME—
Italian doctors are investigating a suspected Ebola patient in central Italy, the Health Ministry in Rome said on Tuesday.

The ministry gave no further details but the local Corriere Adriatico newspaper said the woman, a resident of the town of Civitanova Marche near Ancona, was around 40 years old and had recently returned to Italy from Nigeria.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nat...,2721595.story
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #29
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,210 Times in 650 Posts
I am amazed that we have so far escaped having a case on our doorstep.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #30
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I've been thinking about that. With many airlines cancelling direct flights to the affected areas, it adds travel travel time & suspect cases are more lilkely to be 'captured' in Europe. I'm thinking there aren't that many. Those most likely to be exposed & infected struggle to feed themselves - flying out of country is going to be beyond impossible.

People forget too, we've been dealing with Ebola for about 39 years now with people, medical staff, NGO volunteers; travelling back & foth from Ebola zones to home countries & we've had no issues. True, these folks were sensitized the hazards but 39 years is a good record.

Now though, we're seeing numbers of cases the likes of which are uncharted territory. We'll see cases confirmed outside the hot zone - any time now. I'm surprised it's taken this long.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #31
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

What are the odds that any real cases that end up testing positive in a Western nation are swept under the rug to avoid panic.

I'm sure they could keep the lid on individual cases for a while, at least until some unlucky contacts and secondaries show up.

Would it be worth the effort?
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #32
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,210 Times in 650 Posts
Could you imagine ISISIL infiltrating the HAJ with hundreds of vials of Ebola blood, piss, vomit? I can see that.... It was tried before with the Japanese.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #33
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Exodia, I've thought about it but with social media, I think it might prove impossible. I HOPE it would prove impossible.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #34
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Italy case was malaria.
https://in.news.yahoo.com/suspected-...02822259.html?
Old 09-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #35
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Exclamation British Ebola survivor to return to Sierra Leone

Just... wow.

***The first Briton to be infected with the deadly Ebola virus has revealed he is going back to Sierra Leone to try and help with the struggle to control the disease.

William Pooley, a British nurse, survived Ebola after he was evacuated to Britain from Sierra Leone in an RAF fighter jet and successfully treated with the experimental drug ZMapp.

Despite initially assuring his parents he would not return, the 29-year-old has revealed he plans to go back to Sierra Leone, where hundreds of people have died from Ebola. He has called on David Cameron to do more to ensure an international effort is being made to get the epidemic in Africa under control.

“It's the least I could do to go back and return the favour to some other people, even just for a little while,” Mr Pooley told the Guardian.

“The more help they get the less chance there is they get sick. If they get sick they are just going to end up in a ward in Kenema with less chance than I had." ...***

More at link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...rra-Leone.html
Old 09-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #36
doc_jake
Member Level 4

Location: Northumberland, the last county in england before you hit scotland on the east coast.
Mmmm I would defiantly stand the man a pint for that attitude
doc_jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #37
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

That's gutsy - yes he will be immune although he'd be stupid not to continue to wear PPE. He was infected comforting a tot whose family had been killed. The little one had tested negative & it was ASSUMED a negative was a negative. He held & played with the child, not wearing 'enough' PPE & took ill that way.

He will serve as an example of how easy it is to make assumptions that can lead to illness & death. He'll also serve as proof that people 'whisked away' for care CAN come back healed. If he goes back to the same location, it will be a heck of a morale boost for the staff still there.

But pints indeed knowing the hell on earth he's going back to. Recovered or not, that work is still a staggering workload, backbreaking, disheartening & flat out icky, filthy.

I don't know if I could summon the will to return.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #38
doc_jake
Member Level 4

Location: Northumberland, the last county in england before you hit scotland on the east coast.
However as a friend of mine on another forum put it

"So many other interesting diseases to die of in Africa, of course!"
doc_jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #39
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

The list is long, isn't it?
Old 09-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #40
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

Some-one being tested right now in Australia......... who are we kidding it will come eventually.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...11-10f8rp.html

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

"Great"....... returned from the Congo 2 days ago

https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/2496...coast-reports/
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #41
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Great - where was he for the 2 days he was back in Aus & sick? Contacts? The second article states he was arrested for trespassing - so at least one police officer will have had physical contact with him - placing of handcuffs, frisking him, lowering his head into the car...
Old 09-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #42
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,054 Posts
Quote:
Some-one being tested right now in Australia......... who are we kidding it will come eventually.
I predict the first such case in one of the developed nations is less than 2 weeks away. Statistically, we are on borrowed time already.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #43
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I am honestly surprised we've not had a case stagger off a plane yet; I truly am.

I think it will happen within a week.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #44
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

The Australian case was "negative"

http://www.news.com.au/national/brea...-1227054824033
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #45
vince08

It is this sort of thing that worry's me and a possible way the virus may enter a country someone trying to get into one of our country's.

M6 lorry stowaway suspects arrested
Three men have been arrested after allegedly making their way into the country by stowing away under a lorry.

The men, two aged 33, and a 27-year-old, were found walking along the hard shoulder of the M6 motorway, near junction eight, outside Walsall.

A motorist reported seeing three men fall from underneath a lorry before making their way to the central reservation, police said.

The men have been arrested on suspicion of immigration offences.

Central Motorway Police Group (CMPG) said the men were in custody and the UK Border Force had taken on the investigation.

Sgt Ian Williams, from CMPG, said the men, thought to be from Africa, "may have hidden on a lorry travelling from Calais".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-29242460
vince08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #46
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

This one is 50/50 for me. From infected area, relatives died of Ebola, no symptoms for a week than developed fever.

Quote:
Switzerland: Suspected Ebola case in Lausanne

SEP 23, 2014 - 19:17

A young man from Guinea who entered Switzerland on September 17 via the asylum reception centre in Vallorbe, canton Vaud, was admitted to the Lausanne University Hospital on Tuesday under suspicion of infection with the Ebola virus.
The man, who had left Guinea for France two days earlier, had been quarantined in a hospital in Vaud following his arrival, after he told officials at the asylum centre that a member of his family had died of Ebola.

In his first week in the hospital he showed no symptoms and was thus not contagious, according to a press release from the Swiss Federal Office of Public Health. One week after arrival he developed a fever and was transferred to Lausanne according to the criteria set out by the Public Health Office.

Blood samples have been taken and the Public Health Office said it would keep the public informed as further details become available.
http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/suspecte...sanne/40796430
Old 09-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #47
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Yeah, to me that would be the most likely so far of all suspect cases, to come back positive.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #48
penguinzee
Senior Level 1

Tend to agree with you, Ex... closest one I think we've seen yet... and it's probably way overdue...

Franc (penguinzee)
Old 09-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #49
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,252 Times in 3,371 Posts
Just to try to keep things straight, this person is not the same as the nurse who was bitten while treating an Ebola patient. The nurse has been evacuated back to Switzerland, hopefully without exposing anyone during the process.

So, the Swiss now have 2 possible cases.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #50
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Initial reports on the Swiss case are negative. They will test again and hold in isolation for 21 days (probably a good idea). Translated page:

Quote:
The first possible Ebola patient in Switzerland has been tested in the first laboratory tests negative for the viral disease. "This suggests that the person is not infected with Ebola," the Federal Office of Public Health (BAG) said on Wednesday.

However, to eliminate any uncertainty, would be carried out the tests again. The affected person remains during the whole incubation period of a maximum of 21 days in the hospital
http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/news/story/14930526

Tags
2014, australia, canada, cases, ebola, reports