Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Classroom

Classroom A place for parents who take an active interest in their child's education, with a special emphasis on Homeschooling.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 6,617 Times in 2,860 Posts
Default Being bilingual DOESN'T make you smarter

Zut alors! Being bilingual DOESN'T make you smarter: Cognitive benefits of speaking two languages are a 'myth', claim scientists
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...cientists.html
Old 08-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
lisa
Senior Level 1

Thanked 1,340 Times in 512 Posts
Too bad, I can use all the cognitive help I can get!
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
If multiple languages made you smarter, you'd expect the citizens of some small nations to be freaking brilliant. They speak their native language, English & often the language of their nearest large neighbour.
lisa (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
If multiple languages made you smarter, you'd expect the citizens of some small nations to be freaking brilliant. They speak their native language, English & often the language of their nearest large neighbour.
Ah Ha Dear Sue. Perhaps we are not smart enough to know they are freaking brilliant. They may know different from what we know and that does not make us smarter because we know things different from what they know.

I think this is one of those traffic circles I fear and dread. I'm never sure how to move inside the circle and get in trouble when I have to go round. Once almost taking out a 1% biker. Another time following along to the area they were giving tickets to the folks who got off the circle in that direction when it wasn't the correct time of day for it. I did ask the nice officer after he gave me the ticket for directions on how to get to where I wanted to go so I put it down to expensive directions.

Sorry for the drift there. Did you get my meaning?
Old 09-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #5
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 6,617 Times in 2,860 Posts
Want your child to be clever? Teach them two languages: Study finds bilingual babies often show signs of having a higher IQ
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...higher-IQ.html

Gotta love it.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
Oric
El Turco

Thanked 2,117 Times in 940 Posts
I don't trust the OP report
Oric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

This is a subject I am interested in as one of my Granddaughter is in University having just finished her first of 4 years learning German and Russian. Those are her majors. When she was in public school my daughter put her in French Immersion and she learned Spanish when she was in High School.
I thought the in thing was to learn Mandarin but the more I think on her choices I see the reasoning coming clearer.
So, she will have those 5 languages when she is finished there. But I do not know her future plan. She is a worker and has a stubborn streak and a go get it attitude.
I don't see her as a genius, but she is a woman with a plan.

So maybe that is what these people who speak more than one language do. See what they need to be able to do something and they learn that language. It is smart enough to figure out what tools they need.

Now that I mentioned my Granddaughter and what she is about I have to brag on her. She is paying her way through University with little bits of money here and there. When she was 16 she said to me. I'm going to go get a job when I get back there for after school. She said I can pick what I want to do because I have a pretty respectable resume for a 16 year old. She did too. Including award and completion of years of work with a team doing Rescue work. It is St John's Ambulance? I forget right now the name. But it is a great accomplishment for many people not just school age kids.
Anyway, when they got settled in Calgary for her University. First thing she went and was walking by a Dollar Store type place that was being started. She walked in and asked for a job and right then and there they hired her. After her first 6 months they offered her training in management if she wanted it and didn't go to school. She said no she was going to go to school. But she is still with them and went as far as assistant manager. I expect to hear once this is as far as she can go she moves up to another position of her choosing. I can imagine her plan may be to have a job with the business she wants when she finished University.
What her biggest strength is. Her stick-to-it-to-ness. She makes a plan and stays dead on once the choice is made. I think she gets that sticks to it part from her Dad's family. That is a good trait to breed into our genetic pool.

Last edited by Sarrah; 09-05-2014 at 04:33 PM. Reason: I added a whole bunch more to my original post.
Sarrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:37 PM   #8
lisa
Senior Level 1

Thanked 1,340 Times in 512 Posts
One thing that being multi-lingual does is make you more employable. I beat out 88 other applicants when I went back to work after being a stay at home mom for 25 years.

I don't know if being bilingual makes my kids smarter .. definitely more smart-alecky when they were kids with two languages to sass in..lol but it has definitely helped them job wise.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilingual, make, smarter