Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Ebola

Ebola News, information and discussions about prevention, spread, and treatment of Ebola. Also see our Ebola Wiki at ebola.thisbluemarble.com

Old 10-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #51
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,684 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
The decontaminaters need to be wearing protective gear themseves, if you ask me.

Nobody did...
Bingo. You read that 2006 paper on aerosolization of ebola-containing fluids, and you cringe to see unprotected personnel spraying down PPE'd workers removing their equipment.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #52
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
OMG - he needs gloves, a mask & face shield as well. He's standing WAY too close.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:23 AM   #53
MTLass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
OMG - he needs gloves, a mask & face shield as well. He's standing WAY too close.
I hope like hell they're reevaluating the lack of protection since Ms Pham has been infected. This photo was taken the day she was diagnosed, give or take a day.

There are a few things that really give me pause when it comes to this deployment. Don't get me wrong, as I truly feel our military is necessary to help get this under control.

-- The possible lack of proper PPE. If this is how they are going to handle decon then there will be problems. What other ways are they being too lax??

-- Our soldiers working side by side with Liberian troops. We've been told our guys would not deal with ebola patients, and I stupidly thought that would broadly translate to no interaction with locals. Period. That's not the case, as shown in this New York Times article:
Amid Ebola Crisis Liberian Army Sees It's Chance At Rebranding

Now working with locals can be extremely positive. My husband was deployed to Iraq for 16 months and worked closely with the Iraqi military. That positive interaction truly helps if the native population is less than welcoming. That said, is it really prudent to have our troops working so close with the general population in a country where a deadly disease is rampaging? There has been more than one story where a soldier has gotten ebola and spread it to his fellow soldiers.

Last edited by MTLass; 10-15-2014 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Can't type to save my life
MTLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #54
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

They will defnitely be working with locals - contractors & labourers of all sorts for starters. Any of whom can be infected & even daily temperature checks wouldn't be enough to keep your troops 100% safe.

What about when they are not working? Will they be 100% confined to camp?
Old 10-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #55
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,555 Times in 2,068 Posts
Quote:
What about when they are not working? Will they be 100% confined to camp?
Girls. They will find girls, somehow, some way.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #56
oldnomad
Freedom has a taste the protected will never know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodia View Post
Girls. They will find girls, somehow, some way.
LOL. It might involve chocolate in some way.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Its NOT a laughing matter.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #57
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Alright - I'm going to go well outside the box here. They have time to vet a few women here - medical & basic security check, put them under contract & bring them along. I'm being pragmatic here. Beats a bunch of troops coming home with HEP everything, HIV, Ebola & Lord only knows what else.
HotFrog (10-15-2014), oldnomad (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #58
oldnomad
Freedom has a taste the protected will never know

THAT is a good idea CS but not doable from a political standpoint. Not by the US government anyway. Any US politician who advocated hiring ladies for this purpose would be roasted alive.

What, OUR decent, honorable, pure young sons would NEVER do such a thing.......... Yes, I agree its stupid but there is more stupidity in the world then not.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #59
Sonny
Star Witness

I read the US 25bed field hospital hadn't been opened for business as of yesterday?
So is it possible it was just a photo op? or A training exercise ?

edit add:

"Soldiers Train for Ebola Mission"

#USArmy .@101stAASLTDIV Soldiers train for #Ebola mission leafne.ws/111BqUf pic.twitter.com/FjxHUlbNgI

Last edited by Sonny; 10-15-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Sonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #60
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

oldnomad - LOL. I know. Gawd ferbid ANYBODY try to be realistic in certain... areas.

You're going to deploy a bunch of healthy young men to a scary situation. They will be busting their butts. You'd think they'd be too tired, hot & sweaty for much fling flanging but when has that ever stopped anybody? It only takes ONE & if your government leaders were sat down, (forcibly if need be) & shown the infection rates for... anything over there, made aware that many Liberian women work as prostitutes because they have little choice, have little no access to any form of contraception, never mind barrier methods, you'd think practical would trump belief of any sort.

But no, I know. It would be political suicide.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

Sonny - it won't be open until some time in November.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #61
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
US troops may be quarantined for Ebola

Location of quarantine facility may be in DC area
UPDATED 9:17 AM CDT Oct 15, 2014

WASHINGTON (CNN) —In an unprecedented move to protect U.S. troops that might be exposed to Ebola, U.S. military commanders are being given the authority to quarantine troops for 21 days at a Defense Department facility where they will be monitored for signs of the disease and treated if they do contract the virus, a Defense Department memo explained.

The memo, which was obtained by CNN, spells out the details of the military's plan for the first time.

It does not reveal the location of the facility, but one U.S. official said it may be a site in the Washington, D.C., area. The quarantine will apply to troops evacuated from West Africa, if it is determined they have an elevated risk of exposure to Ebola.

There are more than 500 troops in the region currently, and the Pentagon has authorized the deployment of up to 4,000 to assist in fighting the virus. Troops are not expected to treat Ebola patients, but there is an acknowledgment by the Pentagon that some could be at risk of coming into contact with the virus.
http://www.wisn.com/national/us-troo...#ixzz3GDwKXt3w
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
The Following User Says Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
HotFrog (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #62
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

IF they have an elevated risk of exposure? They will have been in Liberia, right? I doubt any of them want to risk bringing this home to their families & communities.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #63
sandyd
Beach Fun

Thanked 1,638 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
if it is determined they have an elevated risk of exposure to Ebola
Wanna bet if they feel fine and have no temps......
Old 10-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #64
LizB
Member Level 4

Quote:
IF they have an elevated risk of exposure? They will have been in Liberia, right? I doubt any of them want to risk bringing this home to their families & communities.
The Dallas nurse was "low risk."

I think all returning troops, contractors, politicians should be quarantined. If they just self-monitor why won't we have additional cases like Dallas nurse #2, traveling in public immediately before recognizing symptoms?
LizB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LizB For This Useful Post:
MTLass (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #65
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Absolutely! NObody who HAS to go to the countries incolved should unless they're willing to undergo a 21 day quarantine coming home. And Hour One of quarantine starts when you land - not a minute before... & maybe after a shower & everything you brought with you is laundered and/or disinfected.
HotFrog (10-15-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #66
Sonny
Star Witness

Obama Sending National Guard to Liberia Hot Zone.

Obama is expected to issue an executive order Thursday paving the way..

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebo...ources-n227336

~
Sonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #67
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,348 Posts
It's not surprising that Reservists are being called up. I think I mentioned in a post on one of the threads that one of the challenges of using the US military in this role is that many of the types of skills and units needed are not part of the active military.

Thanks to various draw downs and budget concerns, the active military are largely focused on direct combat and combat support units. The skills needed for the mission in Liberia are ancillary units - civil affairs, water, sanitation and medical support services, construction/civil engineering, heavy equipment operators, and transportation units. The majority of these types of units, across all services, have been switched to the Reserve or Nat'l Guard category because it saves money. Which is great, until we need them. At which point everyone has to scramble to get them activated and ready to deploy.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
oldnomad (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #68
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Ahhh, tripped us up on the wording.

Quote:
US personnel will staff Liberian Ebola hospital

By Kristina Wong - 10/16/14 03:06 PM EDT

The commander in charge of the United States' response to Ebola in Africa said Thursday that 65 U.S. uniformed personnel would soon staff a 25-bed hospital in Monrovia that will directly treat Liberian health care workers if they are infected.

"They will actually be involved in the care and feeding of health care workers who have been infected with the Ebola virus," said Maj. Gen. Darryl Williams, commander of Operation United Assistance Joint Force at a Pentagon briefing Thursday.

Although the team members are uniformed personnel, they are not considered "troops" since they serve as part of the U.S. Public Health Service under the Department of Health and Human Services, not the Pentagon.
http://thehill.com/policy/internatio...bola-hospital?

On 9/21, they said this (1st post on this thread):

Quote:
Q: On Ebola, do you -- can you help us understand? Are -- are any of these troops you're sending over there going to be directly caring for patients affected by the virus?
What protection measures are you putting in place to stop the spread to these -- these troops, and again, will they be working directly with any of the patients?

REAR ADM. KIRBY: Thanks.

Right now, the effort does not include U.S. military personnel treating Ebola patients; we're going to be in support of other healthcare workers that -- that are experts at doing this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
oldnomad (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #69
lilly

Dempsey is concerned about Ebola and the troops.

He is military.

I can envision it already at the Harborview Hospital in Seattle being set up for Ebola, and Fort Lewis here in Washington.

Are they crazy?
Old 10-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #70
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,038 Times in 4,413 Posts
Quote:
Ahhh, tripped us up on the wording.
Observe the increased use of weasel wording that reveals doublespeak.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
MTLass (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #71
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,348 Posts
Yep. It's definitely increasing. Maybe even exponentially.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #72
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbird View Post
Maybe even exponentially.
We have someone who could probably do the calculations.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #73
Dietrich
Niche player

Run a a regression of the # of cases on time and exp(time)..then check if the coefficient on the second term is significantly diff than zero..takes 5min, given the data
Dietrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #74
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Dietrich - the amount of weasel-wording and double-speaking has grown past the ability for us to measure accurately. The data set is bad.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #75
Dietrich
Niche player

Yeah
Dietrich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
africa, assistance, ebola, operation, united, west