Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Ebola

Ebola News, information and discussions about prevention, spread, and treatment of Ebola. Also see our Ebola Wiki at ebola.thisbluemarble.com

Old 10-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #51
Sonny
Star Witness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
No.

I do not know if he knew about his landlords daughters cause of death.
You can call it speculation on my part if you wish but I feel it's significant that the first place they took the landlords daughter was the MSF EBOLA hospital.

~
Sonny is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonny For This Useful Post:
HotFrog (10-03-2014), NowVoyager (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #52
HotFrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodia View Post
No, what she's saying, and I think I agree, is that he would have had to gotten his visa before he was infected, so the trip was planned in advance.

But what I'm guessing is the time-table for the trip was probably sped up a tad, when he thought he might be EVD+ (I just coined that, its mine...).
That may indeed have been how things transpired. Another realistic scenario is that he had a bit of foresight--

Ebola was already raging in Liberia a while back, so he figured back then that he should get a Visa in case he later may need to make a quick escape. He recently quit his job because, since he wasn't brain dead, he knew Ebola was totally out of control and figured that he'd have to flee soon (and that his old job wouldn't exist very soon, anyway, as things get apocalyptic and the economy/society completely collapse). Very recently Ebola finally reached his personal doorstep, and he knew he could wait no longer, so he fled.

The particulars of his story aren't important in the big scheme of things, though.
HotFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HotFrog For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #53
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 8,538 Times in 3,452 Posts
Default Bobby Jindal: Ban travel from Ebola nations

Bobby Jindal: Ban travel from Ebola nations

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal on Friday called on the Obama administration to impose a travel ban on flights coming to the U.S. from countries with Ebola outbreaks.

“We should stop accepting flights from countries that are Ebola stricken,” the Republican governor said in a statement.

“President Obama said it was ‘unlikely’ that Ebola would reach the U.S. Well, it has, and we need to protect our people,” he added. “But the Obama administration keeps saying they won’t shut down flights. They instead say we should listen to ‘the experts.’ In fact, they said it would be counterproductive to stop these flights. That statement defies logic. How exactly would stopping the entry of people potentially carrying the Ebola virus be counterproductive? This seems to be an obvious step to protect public health in the United States.”

Jindal becomes one of the most prominent voices calling for a travel ban, which the Centers for Disease Control and some public health experts have said is either misguided or impractical, or both. Earlier Friday, CDC Director Tom Frieden appeared on the morning talk shows to argue that a travel ban would likely “backfire” and make it harder for health officials to fully root out the virus.

“Even if we tried to close the border, it wouldn’t work,” the director said on MSNBC. “People have a right to return. People transiting through could come in. And it would backfire, because by isolating these countries, it’ll make it harder to help them, it will spread more there and we’d be more likely to be exposed here.”
Frieden added that the only way to completely eliminate Americans’ risk to Ebola is to stop the virus “at the source” — meaning West Africa.

Health officials continue to screen up to 100 people in Texas in connection with Liberian national Thomas Eric Duncan, who is in isolation at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital. Duncan flew to the U.S. on Sept. 19, but the CDC said that he was screened before his flight in Monrovia and showed no symptoms of Ebola.

Individuals flying from West Africa are screened for symptoms of Ebola before flying, but Frieden conceded that these tests are not perfect. The top health official has said repeatedly that he is confident the CDC will successfully contain the virus in the U.S.

Howard University Hospital on Friday also confirmed that it had begun isolating a patient who had recently traveled to Nigeria for potential Ebola-like symptoms. Nigeria has not had a new Ebola case in nearly a month.
White House press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters on Friday afternoon that the White House is not currently considering a travel ban, according to a pool report. The spokesman praised the “sophisticated multi-layer screening system” at airports in West Africa and said that on-board personnel have also been trained to identify potential symptoms.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/1...ts-111592.html

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #54
sandyd
Beach Fun

Thanked 1,638 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
You can call it speculation on my part if you wish but I feel it's significant that the first place they took the landlords daughter was the MSF EBOLA hospital.

~
Like everything about this I've read reports that said ebola ward and also that they tried to get her put in the maternity ward.

Since others got sick, yeah, I can see ebola but you realize women do die from seizures when pregnant?

And we have talked here about some disease taking away care from other medical problems, right? I'm sure that is happening there.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #55
sandyd
Beach Fun

Texas Ebola patient aided Liberia woman thought to have malaria

BY ROBYN DIXON
Los Angeles TimesOctober 2, 2014
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2014/10/0...ria.html?&rh=1

PAYNESVILLE, LIBERIA — The Ebola virus that infected Thomas Eric Duncan, the Liberian man who fell ill in Texas, has sickened at least six others in the sandy neighborhood near the Liberian capital where he lived in a rented room with a plain wooden door.

A chain of confusion and denial links the Dallas apartment complex to which he moved to a dark green house about 30 yards from Duncan's door in Liberia, where the desperate family of a dying pregnant woman treated her illness as malaria, not the highly infectious virus that has killed more than 3,300 people.

Now two members of the Williams family, Duncan's neighbors and landlords, are dead, three other people are sick and Duncan has become the first person to develop symptoms of the disease in the United States.

If not for the Williams family's insistence, perhaps based on wishful thinking, that 19-year-old Marthalene Williams didn't have Ebola, the disease might never have reached U.S. soil.

Duncan, 42, known to his neighbors as Eric, left home about 11 a.m. on Sept. 19 with a backpack and a suitcase, telling his neighbor, Irene Seyou, that he wasn't coming back for two years.

"He told me he was going to America. He said he was going to live his life and be there for two years, and then he will come home and build his own house," Seyou said.

Four days earlier, he had tried to help Marthalene Williams on what turned out to be her final full day. Surviving family members and neighbors sketched out the sequence of events:

Duncan had ridden in a taxi with Marthalene, who was seven months pregnant and desperately ill, as they crisscrossed the Liberian capital, Monrovia, going from a clinic to two hospitals, trying to get her admitted. With them were her father, Emmanuel, and brother Sonny Boy.

From the clinic, where she was given an intravenous drip but deteriorated sharply, they were sent to an Ebola treatment unit and then another, at a time when there were no Ebola beds available in the city.

After hours of waiting, evening fell. They gave up and went home to Paynesville, just south of Monrovia.

Duncan helped carry her down a red sandy track, past his front door to her family's house. Together they placed her on the floor in her living room. She died there in the early hours of the next morning, surrounded by weeping members of her family.

"When she was dying, she was fighting," said a brother, Mekey, 18, who was in the room with all the family. "I felt so bad.... I knew she was going to die. My mother was crying. Every one of us was crying that night."

It's unclear whether the Williamses knowingly misled people, as angry neighbors charge, or whether they were simply convinced that Marthalene didn't have the virus, like so many other desperate families in Liberia.

Apart from Duncan, those infected included Marthalene's brother and parents, the neighbor in the closest house and her husband.

Since they shared bathrooms and bedrooms in cramped living quarters, it's likely that more members of the two families will contract Ebola.

What happened in Paynesville is common in parts of West Africa where Ebola has been spreading. When a loved one becomes ill, family members assume, or hope, that it's something else. They buy malaria, typhoid and headache medicine from a drugstore, or from a nurse, as Marthalene did. They wash and care for the sick person, moving them and touching them and their clothing, and the infection circle widens a little further.

One reason for the reflexive denial is stigma; another may be people's terror of the disease.

According to neighbors, people in the community didn't realize until Wednesday that Marthalene Williams had died of Ebola. That was the day that two other people died - her brother Sonny Boy and her close neighbor Sarah Smith - and news emerged of Duncan's illness in Texas.

Like Duncan, Robert Garway rents a room from the Williams family, his house one pace away from theirs. When he and his wife, Sarah Smith, heard that the landlord's daughter was sick, he thought they should pitch in, as Duncan did. They helped move Marthalene and touched her. It was difficult to say no to the landlord.

"We thought it was a fever or some other thing. There were plenty of people who touched her, and I was among them," Garway said, speaking on his cellphone from an Ebola unit where he is undergoing treatment.

On Thursday morning, the four Williams children - Mekey, 18; Ezo, 16; Tete, 12; and Stanley, 3 - huddled anxiously behind their house, looking downcast and frightened. Stanley, unaware of the crisis facing his family, was smiling and giggling and wanted to play with his sister.

An angry group gathered on a hill above the family's house, shouting angrily that Amie and Emmanuel Williams must have known that their daughter had Ebola.

One woman screamed that her children had played with the Williams children. Another shouted that one of the Williams women had plaited her hair. Others were furious that they had gone into the Williamses' house after Marthalene's death to view her body. Bodies of Ebola victims are even more contagious than living patients.

As a crowd gathered and the shouting grew louder, accusations flew. Some claimed that she had vomited on Duncan. Some said that she had bled from the mouth. Others said the family lied and said she'd been injured in a car accident. Few of the accusations were consistent, other than the general outrage that the family told neighbors she had died of "low blood," or low blood pressure, and pregnancy complications.

But the Blessing Home Clinic, which examined Marthalene on Sept. 15, had diagnosed malaria, according to staffers. When she started convulsing, they told the family to take her to a hospital.

After she died, Mekey and the other family members prepared her body. She was hunched, so they straightened her, tenderly laid her out and covered her. Several people carried her and placed her in a casket.

"Her parents said she never died of Ebola, so everyone in the community went to sympathize," said a furious Martu Weeforo, 37, one of the neighbors on the hill. "Plenty of people came in the yard."

Mekey said his parents left home early Thursday after falling sick a few days ago. He said they had gone to get treatment, but he didn't know where. Their phones were switched off.

Garway, the neighbor, went to an Ebola treatment unit in the John F. Kennedy Medical Center on Thursday, shocked into action by the deaths of his wife and Sonny Boy. Speaking by phone from the treatment unit, he said he and his wife both started feeling odd nine days ago.

"Everybody started getting sick. Everybody started feeling funny at the same time," Garway said. "I am happy I'm among the living."
Old 10-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #56
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,254 Times in 3,372 Posts
Big briefing/presser from the WH taking place right now.

I didn't know whether to or or when I heard this:

Quote:
White House official Lisa Monaco, on Ebola outbreak: 'The United States is prepared to deal with this crisis.. we know how to do this' - from broadcast
Read more on msnbc.com

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #57
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
I barely kept my lunch down.

The bullshit - it buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurns!
Old 10-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #58
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,847 Times in 1,063 Posts
Quote:
Bobby Jindal: Ban travel from Ebola nations
This will not work. Are there even any direct flights from those countries? We could ban any passengers whose travel itinerary originates in one of the countries. Even then, what if they have a 3-day stop in a country they pass through? Will we catch that? Maybe when they come through immigration, but the damage will have been done.

Only solution is a quarantine imposed in the three countries before they ever get on an airplane in the first place.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sysiphus For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #59
captain1

I'll go with
captain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #60
sandyd
Beach Fun

IN THOMAS DUNCAN’S FORMER NEIGHBORHOOD, PANIC, MORE DEATHS, INFECTIONS

Written by Wade C. L. Williams, wade.williams@frontpageafricaonline.com
Published: 03 October 2014
http://www.frontpageafricaonline.com...ths-infections

Following news of his illness in the U.S., people in Thomas Eric Duncan’s community are panicking. Already three people linked to the pregnant woman he helped take to the hospital have died and several others quarantined. But as a closely knit Community, the Block C area of the 72nd SKD Boulevard area, where Duncan lived many, are scared to death about who will be next in the clutches of Ebola.

Monrovia - Nine-year-old Mercy Kennedy sobs as her neighbors tell her about her mother’s death. Sad She had gone happily to fetch water with her friends and some women in the community yelled at her to leave the neighborhood well for fear she might infect the well and their children with Ebola.

Mercy’s mother, Marie Wreh, is among a string of deaths traced to the 19-year-old pregnant woman that Thomas Eric Duncan came in contact with before leaving Liberia to visit family in the US. Mercy’s mother Wreh had taken care of patient zero Marthaline Williams, who was six months pregnant in the Duncan Ebola saga before she died. She washed Williams’ clothes and even fell over her corpse when she died on September 16, 2014 according to family members.

Shock Mixed with Panic

The 72nd community, where Duncan lived was in a state of shock mixed with panic after they received news that Duncan, 42, had been diagnosed with the deadly Ebola virus in the U.S. Irene Senyou, lives in the apartment right next to Duncan in a three-bedroom flat, she has a one-year-old baby girl and she is worried about the safety of her family. “I feel very, very bad. I’m afraid, my life, my children’s life,” she says.

Senyou admits that her next-door neighbor, Duncan, helped their landlord when his (landlord) pregnant daughter was sick, but she died later. She said Duncan had told her that he was traveling to the U.S. to see his family, but she was not surprised to hear that he was sick.

“When the girl got sick, he helped to carry the girl. He helped to put the girl in the car to take her to the hospital,” she says. “When they brought her back, he helped to put her in the house. He was not looking sick and he never knew the girl had Ebola.”

She sits on her porch pointing to the green apartment a few feet ahead of her looking at the home of the woman who brought all the trouble with the whole community. Her eyes are sad as she shakes her daughter, whom she holds in one arm. “We got to know it was Ebola through this girl that died yesterday; the signs and symptoms she was showing,” she says.

‘Entire Family Getting Sick’

“The entire family is getting sick. I’m protecting them from being inside, washing our hands with chlorine.”

Nora Gleyah is a relative Wreh who just died in Duncan’s neighborhood and used to care for the pregnant young 19-year-old woman, she says she is confused about the number of deaths that has come from her community. Gleyah is worried that more people will get sick in the area if help does not arrive soon to start contact tracing.

“When this girl got sick and died here, other people went there. They were carrying her to hospital and she died. All those who went there and helped they are the ones dying now. Marie went and touched that body,” says Gleyah.

”We’ve been interacting because none of us in the yard knew. We have all been visiting each other and no one knows that they have the virus. Really, it is proven it is Ebola, because all those who went near the body have started getting sick and they are dying. “

Gleyah says when the pregnant woman passed away, there was no Ebola test done on the body and the family with the help of some community members quickly buried her. “They went and got some kind of quick death certificate and did the burial, Ebola people never came. This is nothing small,” she says.

Gleyah lives right next to a zinc shack where the deceased lived with her 9-year-old daughter. She says Wreh died after she was taken into isolation on Wednesday and stresses that she had no contact with the deceased, but said the dead woman’s eldest daughter who lives in another community helped to bathe her because she was too weak to do it herself.

‘Used Chlorine on My Hand’

“I used the chlorine on my hand and I held the curtain and asked her if she had taken her bath and she said no. Her daughter another community and bathed her,” she says. Since the death of Williams, who seems to be patient zero in this Ebola saga, five persons, including Duncan, who tried to help her while she was sick by taking her to the hospital have contracted the deadly Ebola virus.

The victim’s mother and father are currently under quarantine at the ELWA-3 isolation center including her boyfriend according to community sources. There have been three deaths, including the deceased brother only known as Sonnyboy and the community fears there will be more.

Prince G. Toe, a member of the community Ebola task force who has embarked on voluntary contact tracing says they are worried that more people will get sick. He said members of the family of the deceased pregnant woman continue to die and others who came close to her in the neighborhood are worried about their families.

Angeline Garway, 15, is still grieving over the death of her mother on Wednesday, which sent the community into a frenzy, that the Williams family was concealing the cause of their daughter’s death thereby putting the community at risk. Garway is home alone with three other siblings from the Williams’ home, including a three-year-old boy.

“When her father called us yesterday, they said they went to a Lofa Clinic. They tested the father and the father was malaria positive,” says Toe.

Clinging on to Life

“They tested the mother she was malaria positive and typhoid positive. While going in the bathroom, she fell off and the family called us and within 45 minutes she was dead. The father was not feeling well and his eyes were really red.” Duncan is clinging on to life at a Texas Health Presbyterian but it seems the Liberian government is not taking his case lightly.

But he could face possible trial upon his return to Liberia for what authorities at the Roberts International Airport are described as false declaration. Mr. Duncan left Liberia via SN Brussels on September 19 and arrived in the US on 20 September.

Liberia Airport Authority Board Chairman Binyah Kesselly told a news conference Thursday at the Ministry of Information Mr. Duncan’s last temperature test was at 36.3 and that he was normal and never showed signs and symptoms of Ebola prior to his departure from RIA. The partner of Ebola Duncan is quarantined in her Dallas apartment where Duncan became sick with the virus after his trip from Liberia.

The woman, who asked to be identified only by her first name, Louise, is quarantined with one of her children under 13 and two nephews in their 20s because they were in the apartment when Duncan became ill, according to the CNN.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #61
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,475 Times in 672 Posts
I keep seeing the Malaria thing brought up and though this may be slightly off topic I am going to throw it out there.

This is strictly anecdotal as well but unless the various strains of malaria are all completely different there are some major obvious differences between it's symptoms and hemorrhagic fever.

Malaria (as I know it)

Body aches---starting lower back around kidneys and migrating to joints
Reddish brownish dark urine starts very early in an episode
Fever----as in roasting in a tandoori oven hot as shit while having chills that almost make you break your teeth and shake your house apart intense

Diarrhea and vomiting---NEVER

Coughing and sneezing---NEVER

So if someone tells you it's just malaria and are shitting everywhere and puking they may not be telling you the truth

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rryan For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #62
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I think they're comparing early symptoms. Early symptoms for malaria:

***•Fever.
•Chills.
•Headache.
•Sweats.
•Fatigue.
•Nausea and vomiting.***

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/malaria-symptoms

EARLY symptoms of Ebola are or can be, identical.
sandyd (10-03-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #63
LizB
Member Level 4

If the family of the dead pregnant woman really did get a malaria diagnosis when she was alive, then the man traveling to USA really did believe he had not been in contact with anyone with Ebola.

He went to the USA hospital when he was furst aware of being sick, which sounds like he was being cautious. He told them he had been in Liberia, not trying to hide it. They sent him home.

If a USA hospital can misdiagnose Ebola as something else, why not assume non-medical people make the same kinds of mistaken assumptions? Articles are saying the dead woman's neighbors are enraged that they had not been told she had Ebola, but the reports also say the family were told it was malaria (until after she died).

I see a real possibility that he told only truth as he knew it, rather than intentionally deceiving anyone.

Which is a major flaw with questionnaires that assume you would know what disease your neighbor died of.
LizB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizB For This Useful Post:
andy (10-04-2014), oldnomad (10-05-2014), sandyd (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #64
lilly

He also told them he had not been in contact with any SICK people. One of the questions asked.

Now it is being said he came to the U.S.. to marry his girlfriend?

Being in contact with sick people is a red flag, even with his mild symptoms at his first visit.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #65
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,475 Times in 672 Posts
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...278121131.html

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #66
lilly

So he quit his job, got a visa, decided to marry a woman who worked in America.

He had a foothold in the states with the mother of his child

Much better life than in a country going down the tubes with Ebola.

The family has been relocated to other housing. The Somalians and other residents are scared out of their wits that he was in their building. The amount of contacts keeps climbing.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #67
doc_jake
Member Level 4

Location: Northumberland, the last county in england before you hit scotland on the east coast.
Is anyone picking up a story about two people removed from a flight at Newark by CDC people in Hazmat suits http://7online.com/health/cdc-invest...light-/336774/
doc_jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #68
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,570 Times in 4,618 Posts
Yes. It is a father and daughter who flew from Liberia to Brussels, and then from Brussels to Newark. The father was vomiting on the plane. They have been removed and taken to a local hospital (The largest and best equipped would be UMDNJ in Newark, though it could be one of the smaller hospitals in Elizabeth that are very close to the airport, or even up to MMH in Morristown where they have isolation units and an experienced staff) The plane is UA 998 and all passengers are quarantined at Gate B, INSIDE the plane... for an indefinite number of hours. The guys in the Hazmat suits are removing overhead baggage.

The wife of a Freeper is on the plane. He's posting on this thread:
http://freerepublic.com/focus/chat/3.../posts?page=23

Lisa Evers is a local reporter who is posting twitter updates:
https://twitter.com/LisaEvers
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #69
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Please see the thread : Ebola 2014: Reports of possible cases in Australia, Canada, UK, US, EU

flourbug (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #70
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

lilly, I wish the press would let go of the aspect of the story about why he was here, etc. It's irrelevent - fluff. All that matters is that he IS here, came here on a valid visa & is now in critical condition in hospital & that x number of others are considered contacts.
HotFrog (10-05-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 10:47 PM   #71
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Hmmm.

Rick Sacra, treated for Ebola, admitted to UMass Memorial Hospital

Quote:
UMass Memorial isolates patient for Ebola testing

Dr. Rick Sacra, of Holden, who doctors said was successfully treated for Ebola at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, was admitted to UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester Saturday morning with a respiratory illness.

...Doctors do not think it likely that Sacra, who has been suffering from a persistent cough and low-grade fever for several days, has suffered a relapse of Ebola.

"Even though the likelihood of Dr. Sacra having a relapse of Ebola is extremely low, doctors will run tests to be 100 percent sure,” said Dr. Phil Smith, medical director of the Biocontainment Unit at The Nebraska Medical Center.

"Because of his recent battle with the Ebola virus, his immune system is compromised," said Smith, who treated Sacra for Ebola. "The symptoms he has are indicative of a respiratory illness and are not those of someone suffering from Ebola.

...“We are working closely with the Centers for Disease Control and the Massachusetts
Department of Public Health, and carefully following specific plans and guidelines for the management of patients with suspected Ebola,” Thrappas said.

NowVoyager (10-05-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #72
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I had this twisted, ironic thought. What if the poor man has somehow picked up EV-68?

I don't think he's relapsed with Ebola; not saying it's not possible but I've never heard of that happening & no one who's treated patients in the field have ever reported that. Rather, they say it simply doesn't work that way. Once you start getting better, (if you're lucky enough for that), the route is upwards.

But yes, your immune system is pretty trashed so I expect for a while, you're vulnerable to a lot.

Makes me wonder who many in recovery from Ebola relapse with pneumonia or contract it?
Old 10-05-2014, 12:04 AM   #73
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 8,538 Times in 3,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizB View Post
If the family of the dead pregnant woman really did get a malaria diagnosis when she was alive, then the man traveling to USA really did believe he had not been in contact with anyone with Ebola.

He went to the USA hospital when he was furst aware of being sick, which sounds like he was being cautious. He told them he had been in Liberia, not trying to hide it. They sent him home.

If a USA hospital can misdiagnose Ebola as something else, why not assume non-medical people make the same kinds of mistaken assumptions? Articles are saying the dead woman's neighbors are enraged that they had not been told she had Ebola, but the reports also say the family were told it was malaria (until after she died).

I see a real possibility that he told only truth as he knew it, rather than intentionally deceiving anyone.

Which is a major flaw with questionnaires that assume you would know what disease your neighbor died of.
IIRC the pregnant woman was also bleeding --- and not in a way normally associated with a woman possible having a miscarriage IOW sufficient that in an area with active and one might say, rampant ebola --- would have / should have, been a red flag that it wasn't likely malaria or a miscarriage, IMO.

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:50 AM   #74
sandyd
Beach Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowVoyager View Post
IIRC the pregnant woman was also bleeding --- and not in a way normally associated with a woman possible having a miscarriage IOW sufficient that in an area with active and one might say, rampant ebola --- would have / should have, been a red flag that it wasn't likely malaria or a miscarriage, IMO.
He is male. Everything to do with blood and babies down there is not likely to be part of any red flag of anything other than eek...icky...female yuck.
doc_jake (10-05-2014), LizB (10-05-2014), NowVoyager (10-05-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 01:04 AM   #75
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I agree with sandy - most males would have no idea what normal or abnormal bleeding is when it comes to pregnancy, menses or anything of that sort.
LizB (10-05-2014), sandyd (10-05-2014)

Tags
ebola, states, united