Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Classroom

Classroom A place for parents who take an active interest in their child's education, with a special emphasis on Homeschooling.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 6,251 Times in 2,726 Posts
Default Cootie catchers

So, I'm perusing a science teaching catalog I brought back from the 4-H conference and come across an "animal track game activity kit" using the "cootie catchers" my kids like to make. Like a lot of simple ideas it hit me up side the head with the thought "why haven't we been using these things in our activities?"

If I can buy the things from a catalog I figured I could find them for free on the net so it was with no little trepidation that I searched on "cootie catchers" (for lack of any better idea of what to call them) and lo, and behold!, there's lot of them to be found!

Here's an example: http://www.teachjunkie.com/holidays/...-lesson-plans/

For the younger kids I can see definite possibilities of using these things to teach while keeping them occupied when we're covering something their short attention spans might otherwise struggle with.

For our teachers and homeschoolers these things may be old hat, but the idea is new to me so now I'm envisioning the possibilities. We've got activities planned over the upcoming year on food science, geology, and genetics that I can see these things may come in handy.
AndreaCA (10-11-2014), driveshesaid (10-11-2014), occupant (10-10-2014)

Tags
catchers, cootie