Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Ebola

Ebola News, information and discussions about prevention, spread, and treatment of Ebola. Also see our Ebola Wiki at ebola.thisbluemarble.com

Old 10-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 9,935 Times in 4,372 Posts
Default Ebola Wiki

Jason set up the software for an Ebola Wiki, and Catbird and I have been learning wiki markup language and working on it over the last few days.

We have a main page - http://ebola.thisbluemarble.com/

We have two articles under construction:

http://ebola.thisbluemarble.com/North_America

http://ebola.thisbluemarble.com/Prep...elter_in_Place

This is an ambitious project but we have a wealth of knowledge here on TBM, and our members have been on top of this subject long before it hit national news. I am putting out a call for volunteers who can make this happen.

We need volunteers to add content, review and proofread articles, and keep the information up to date. It is VERY important all of our information is correct and backed up by footnotes to source.

The wiki can be read by the general public but editing ability will be limited to TBM members who wish to volunteer.

Post on this thread and Catbird or I will give you permission to edit wiki pages.

Last edited by jason; 11-01-2014 at 07:11 PM.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #2
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 7,542 Times in 3,235 Posts
Thank you!!!

Jason, you and FB do so much to provide all of us with a great site and this creation of Ebolawiki is spot on!

Catbird, thank you, too! Heckuva start as a new mod; eh?

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
Catbird (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 9,935 Times in 4,372 Posts
NV, I have to say Catbird has jumped in with enthusiasm. She's doing a wonderful job. With her help and the combined knowledge of our membership I have high hopes for this wiki.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
Catbird (10-25-2014), NowVoyager (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,147 Times in 3,347 Posts
The credit for the idea goes completely to FB. She believes that TBM could do a lot of good work by providing a 1-stop source for solid info about Ebola. Not just for TBM members, but also for all the guests that we have reading here.

Of course, as always, further credit goes to jason for doing the voodoo that he does in the background.

And I agree with her, so I'm more than glad to help.

We need all kinds of help. If you want to write an article on one of the topics and add it to the Wiki yourself, that's great. If you're uncomfortable with doing that, just pick a topic and write up what you can and PM it to me and we'll polish it up and then add it.

Just please remember that in order to make the Wiki useful, we need to have verified, adequately sourced info that we can use for a footnote reference. And, like any other Wiki, we absolutely can't use anything that has a copyright without permission from the holder.

We could also use some help just finding and keeping up with info. That could mean a great article that you've read that has some new info, or a different website that you've found which has solid data, like Virology Down Under. So if you come across things like that, please PM me with the details and we'll see if we can include what you've found.

The other way people could help, especially members outside the U.S., is to keep up with info from their particular country or region. That could include official info from gov't sources, or things being reported in your local media, or even something that you've observed happening. Info about travel bans or restrictions, or entry quarantines, or positive cases being evac'd into a country would be a great help. Just feel free to PM me with anything you might find.

We've taken the first steps in getting this off the ground and I think that with help from whoever is willing, we can really turn this into something of great benefit for everyone.

Thanks!

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
Exodia (10-27-2014), NowVoyager (10-25-2014)

Tags
ebola, wiki