Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine

Alternative and Survival Medicine Investigations and discussion into health systems, practices, and products that are not considered part of conventional medicine.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:14 AM   #1
CajunSunshine
Joie de vivre!

Default Natural Healing: Tips for Beginners

A few words of caution:

I'm getting on a soapbox here, and loudly! There is a LOT of dangerous misinformation Out There. I cringe when I see it. Just because the same misinformation is repeated over and over in various places, does not make it true. Some of it is plagiarized, or simply parroted without research or due diligence.

Please do be careful! Many herbs are powerful drugs that are contraindicated in certain disorders. For example, some herbs may be helpful in treating an illness but would be harmful if the patient has heart disease, or high blood pressure, or diabetes, or glaucoma, etc. Also, some herbs can have dangerous side effects in people on certain medications.

What I do, when considering a new-to-me herbal remedy: Research, research, research! I may spend hours looking into every reputable source for more info on each herb, especially where side effects and contraindicated uses are concerned.

Some university and hospital websites are usually good. I like the University of Maryland's website: http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed...erbal-medicine and especially,http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed

For more advanced study into specifics, PubMed can be useful too:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed (This is a library of published articles in medical journals; it's not an "herby" type of place, but has published interesting articles about specific herbs.)

Because I do not hold a license of any kind, I don't like to dispense medical advice, herbal or otherwise. Some things (like the elderberry article I wrote) are a different horse altogether, and wear a blanket disclaimer.

I am only too glad to help others by directing them to a few good paths through the world of natural healing.

Here are some good places to start:

Here is a good article by Mother Earth News: 75 Safe and Effective Herbal Remedies
http://www.motherearthnews.com/natur...#axzz3M2V4HoQR

Dr. James Duke is a wonderful and safe resource:

(Amazon's used books are a bargain! By the way, I am not an affiliate of Amazon. But all the info about the following books are in one handy place, and it's easier to just point-and-shoot instead of hunting and fishing for links all over the web.)

James Duke's Essential Herbs: Amazon

James Duke's Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook Amazon

James Duke's Green Pharmacy Guide to Healing Foods Amazon

I like just about anything by Phyllis Balch / Dr. James Balch, too:

Prescription for Herbal Healing: Amazon

Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: Amazon

Prescription for Natural Cures: Amazon

Go to Amazon, type in Rosemary Gladstar...she had oodles of good books. I don't own any of her books, but I have read some of her stuff online and she seems well-respected in the community.

As you advance in your studies, anything by Stephen Harrod Buhner is a good stepping stone into higher levels of herbal healing.

www.prevention.com is a great go-to place for all things natural-health...

A word of caution: do not take high doses of anything (vitamins or herbs) on a continual basis. I have noticed that many of the remedies promoted by Balch are a bit on the extreme side, and over time, would cause serious imbalances in the body.

Dr. Duke is THE man for learning perfect balance in healing. Listen to him.

Happy healing!
Sharon

I can get in trouble all by myself...

Last edited by CajunSunshine; 01-20-2015 at 03:17 AM.
CajunSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CajunSunshine For This Useful Post:
cottage (01-20-2015), Thymeless (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
lilly

I've been feeling a bit low because of all the jihadist crazies. So I am watching less news and even by passing the specials on it. Hearing it once a day is enough, not over and over.

this morning I thought maybe I'll pick up some St Johns Wort. I'll have to check into anything for depression. I'm not actually depressed, but I notice I don't want to get out of bed quite as early, and am developing an aversion to news. I think I can slip into it if I don't step away from Muslim territory.

It is pure insanity. Ghenghis Khan, Hitler, Holocaust style news.

They are into natural cures here, will have to go to one of the seminars and herbal shops that have discussions and herbalists.

I take supplements, but stop them every now and then for a few weeks to clear my system.

Right now I'm taking probiotics and some liver supplements. I go through phases depending on my moods and the seasons.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
lilly

I just checked and St. Johns Wort can be problematic. Thanks.

My Jersey library is a thing of the past. I had homeopathic, herbal and books on natural cures galore.

Am starting all over again.

Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
CajunSunshine (01-22-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
lilly, it makes more sense to look in the library or check online - the information will be up to date. New research is constantly being done on herbals & naturals & anyone going that route is going to want to have the latest, accurate info.

'Natural' & 'herbal' are not synonyms for 'safe' or 'effective'. Some items sold simply don't work. Those that do CAN have side effects, contraindications & negative interactions with other natural remedies or OTC or Rxed medications. You MUST do your research. If a product is being sold on the web, look for a research tab. If the site doesn't have one, search for that item on Google along with the word research. Do NOT go by 'testimonials'. 'Testimonial' is another word for 'sales pitch'. If something sounds too good to be true, promises to 'cure' a ton of very different conditions - viral, bacterial & more... be skeptical. It IS too good to be true.

Purveryors of these products like to tell people that health authorities would love to ban Product X because it works SO well & will dramatically lower profits for Big Pharma.. Trouble is, much of the world doesn't do for profit for medicine on a big scale. A lot of health care is tax payer funded & increasingly take up huge chunks of government budgets. If something was cheap, worked that well, safely & quickly & kept people out of expensive hospital beds, don't you think these same governments wouldn't jump all over it?

There are most certainly natural/herbal products that work well. Again, research them well & when you find one or more that work for your issue, take the minimum dose that is effective for you, just as you would/should with any medication.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #5
cottage
Member Level 1

Cajun, funny you should mention Stephen Buhner. I just read his new book "Herbal Anitvirals" and "Herbal Antibiotics". When I say read I really mean skim because his writing is very technical and dense.

But I was very interested in his chapter on flu and in particular he talks at length about treating "cytokine storms".

I did follow his advice (while staying within the comfortable limits of my own knowledge base) recently when it seemed I was coming down with the flu. Other symptoms may mimic the flu, but that particular type of lower back pain is always a clear indicator of flu for me.

Anyhow, So it went quite well. I had a strange week of waxing and waning symptoms. Chills for an hour, then back to normal. Sore throat for a few hours then gone. Back and forth, the week passed that way and then I was over "it".
cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:20 PM   #6
lilly

I do run whatever I use past the cardiologist. I'm due to go in a few weeks.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #7
AndreaCA
one of those hopelessly disorganized people

Thanked 3,045 Times in 1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly View Post
I've been feeling a bit low because of all the jihadist crazies. So I am watching less news and even by passing the specials on it. Hearing it once a day is enough, not over and over.

this morning I thought maybe I'll pick up some St Johns Wort. I'll have to check into anything for depression. I'm not actually depressed, but I notice I don't want to get out of bed quite as early, and am developing an aversion to news. I think I can slip into it if I don't step away from Muslim territory.

It is pure insanity. Ghenghis Khan, Hitler, Holocaust style news.

They are into natural cures here, will have to go to one of the seminars and herbal shops that have discussions and herbalists.

I take supplements, but stop them every now and then for a few weeks to clear my system.

Right now I'm taking probiotics and some liver supplements. I go through phases depending on my moods and the seasons.
Lilly, you don't need anything for depression other than to take a step back from the news for awhile. I know you've started beading why not take up another hobby as well? You seem to like to garden, why not try growing some kale? It grows well in pots and six plants would give you much of what you need since you simply pick the bottom leaves and leave the plant to keep growing. Sprouts would also be able to grown in your apartment. Or, you could embark on a neighborhood beatification project and indulge in a bit of guerrilla gardening! http://www.treehugger.com/culture/gu...nualfesto.html
Old 01-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #8
lilly

I know. I am really sickened by what the Boko Haram and ISIS nuts are doing. And it looks as if we are being dragged into a war like it or not.

I'll try Kale. I did buy a bag of potting soil and am planting some Heavenly blue morning glory seeds. If the senior center does a plot this year I'll use part of it.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:18 PM   #9
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,334 Times in 2,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaCA View Post
Lilly, you don't need anything for depression other than to take a step back from the news for awhile.
I see this at many places and even in the meatworld.

Terrorists, financial, hurricanes, snow storms. How often does the National Weather Service update reports? OK, maybe 30 minutes after a new report comes out but everything else is just parsing the words.

As for terrorism and financial, what realistically can you do about it but prepare?
Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #10
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Weather is a great example of the 'overdramatification' of news. In winter... it's frequently pretty cold. It can snow. The wind can blow. It used to be, you needed a hefty amount of anticipated snowfall, often combined with strong winds to generate any kind of weather warning or special statement. Now it seems anytime more than a few inches of the white stuff is going to fall it's: "OMG!!! We're gonna get nailed!"

News? Our parents & grandparents used to have to wait for radio broadcasts, wekly newsreels at the movie theatre, etc. for news. And it had to be pretty huge, with an anticipated impact on the intended audience to rate mention. Today, especially with the internet, anything gross, sensational or sad, floods the media.

Damned right it can be depressing.

It does help to back away from it sometimes or... look through news sites for cute, quirky, heartwarming human interest type stories. Those are still out there - plenty of them.

And when world news seems especially grim, they help balance things out.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:33 AM   #11
CajunSunshine
Joie de vivre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post

It does help to back away from it sometimes or... look through news sites for cute, quirky, heartwarming human interest type stories. Those are still out there - plenty of them.

And when world news seems especially grim, they help balance things out.
Yep, this is natural healing at it's finest...without side effects!

Laughter and good humor is especially good medicine for a bad day! Those funny animal YouTubes are so addicting because they are wonderful stress relievers!

As the saying goes, Laughter is a lot like changing a baby's diaper. It does not permanently solve anything, but it sure makes things more acceptable for a while.

Sometimes I get stuck on stupid and watch/read too much news. (Because it is so...incredible, I can't not look!)

When I get to the point of pondering over it overly much, I deliberately avoid the news media for a while. If I should really be worried about the news of the day, the Lookout Tower forum here will let me know.

It's a good way for me to decompress for a little while until I regain my balance.

Last edited by CajunSunshine; 01-22-2015 at 04:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CajunSunshine For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #12
lilly

How right you are. Sometimes it is so incredible you can't not watch. We are going through some really bizarre stuff in the Middle east, and they are importing it into the West, like it or not.

I laugh a lot. Always have and always will.

My lame duck collector friend refuses to even listen to anything grim. If it isn't upbeat she says things like "I don't want to hear it." So she rescues the cats abondoned on her property as she is a soft touch.

I think, next week I try acupuncture for my chronic back pain. The warm air activated pads are the best, and I go for the deep Chinese massage sometimes. But I am avoiding 'Aleve and Advil or other pain meds to spare my liver and kidneys.

Evident 45 people a year die from overuse of over the counter pain meds. People don't realize they overdo it.

You never can laugh too much, unless your in the company of a malcontent who wants to be miserable.
CajunSunshine (01-24-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #13
lilly

I'm also going to use color to upgrade my mood.

The rainy season and West coast SAD isn't my style. So it will be a change from last weeks navy with a white blouse and a black quilted jacket to chartreuse, aqua, and all spring floral shades.

People like it too. Always complementary comments.

Color is therapeudic as well as laughter.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #14
MutzMum

I love the UMM site, too. Also use PubMed frequently. Am not familiar with the authors/books, will look into them - see if my library has them. Am a big fan of half.com for used books also.
Thanks for the links.
Now, at the risk of sounding like a newbie, is this the thread where you wanted me to post the pain tincture info? Or were you starting another? Or am I just so lost you guys are gonna kick me to the curb?
MutzMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MutzMum For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2015, 04:40 AM   #15
CajunSunshine
Joie de vivre!

The pain tincture thread you started is great! Thank you so much!

Tags
beginners, healing, natural, tips