Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Preparedness

Preparedness Join us to discuss all aspects of preparedness.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:13 AM   #1
Wojapi
Member Level 4

Default Stanley 3qt Vacuum Crock

Fell upon this at my local sporting goods store with glad cries! Unlike some of the spendy ones that have a lift out pot that you heat or cook in, then place in the insulated shell, foods need prepping in a separate pot first, then put in the preheated crock. But at a third of the cost of the others, I can wash another pot.....

I want to try thermos cooking with this, bringing soaked beans or rice to a boil, then putting them in the thermos to finish cooking.

It was only $49 at my local store.....

http://www.rei.com/product/888642/st...uum-crock-3-qt

--Mother Teresa
Wojapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:35 AM   #2
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,172 Times in 625 Posts
There are cookbooks for cooking that way. I think it is called thermos cooking?
Old 08-24-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,033 Times in 4,410 Posts
andy, I have a thermal pot. You're supposed to fill the inside metal pot nearly to the top, bring the contents to a full boil (they recommend up to 15 minutes at a boil depending on ingredients), then remove the pot from heat and place it inside the thermal pot. I can cook anything in a crock pot cookbook. I can open it three days later and the contents are still steaming hot.

The Stanley is a thermos. I have a few of those types as well. There is significant heat loss if you dump the contents out of a heated pot into the thermos. The Stanley will keep food hot for a day but not longer than that, and it's ability to cook food is reduced accordingly. I have tried oatmeal (really good results) rice (good for brown and wild type rices), pasta (can get mushy) and keeping already cooked foods hot. Beans came out tough even when I let them sit overnight. Which is not a big deal as I prefer to cook them in my pressure cooker - takes minutes rather than hours.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,700 Posts
I have a Nissan cooker that I enjoy using but have been so busy that I've forgotten to use it as often as I could LOL. I'll have to pull it out and get with the program. Thanks for the reminder!

Amazon

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that

Last edited by flourbug; 08-24-2015 at 04:44 PM. Reason: broken link
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,413 Times in 2,709 Posts
Take large foam insulated box like they use to deliver Swann or other frozen productsCut small thin board to protect bottom.Bring pot of food (beans) to a boil and keep it there for 15 minutesDrop pot in box. Some people stuff old towels into spaces.Put lid on and leave for required time.Saves on fuel but kind of a pain.I am with FB on using a pressure cooker. Yes, even for beans. "It is dangerous to cook beans in pressure cooker" can from the old days in the rare instances when a bean plugs the vent hole.With modern pressure cookers, there must be 4 safety pressure relief valves now.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #6
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,033 Times in 4,410 Posts
That's the one I have, bg... I paid $95 for it about 5 years ago. The price is now astronomical. There are a few makers. OOoooohhh... Saratoga Jacks has special right now that I might just grab. http://store.saratogajacks.com/610373896522 (the same thing is on Amazon but do NOT buy it there! The price is much better directly from Saratoga Jacks). I really like the idea of the nesting pots that can cook smaller portions.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #7
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,700 Posts
That's about what I paid.

Pote is right about do-it-yourself insulated boxes. They are very efficient and not hard to make.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:03 AM   #8
andy
Senior Level 5

I Have to resist the desire to build one. I do not do this for a living per se. But it is what I do. I am so embarrassed. I make chemical reactors. I make all kinds of them That is how I got radiation burns.

This would be a cool project.

Hell, I could make a whole, super high performance oven complete with a multichannel temperature recorder (thermistor). That way, I could cook steaks at 120 degrees, and have custom profiles for other foods. Timers too. You couls easily use a small light (incandescent) to add heat to give more flexability.

The material is good to about a thousand degrees - so that is not a problem.

Phase #1: A Simple box.

A decision has to be made for how big to make the box - which begs the question about the holding vessel............ OK, I have given this a lot of thought - 10 minutes. Either make it "Epic' or go home! I am going to make it for my HUGE Belgiuq stock pot! THATS IMPRESSIVE!!!. Actually, the whole assembly would be an oven, or a big friggem slow cooker from Hell.

I'll try to get the measurements and parts list in the morning.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:44 AM   #9
andy
Senior Level 5

I know this is getting a little sick. I promise this is not going to be an unhealthy obsession....I am just fantasizing.

Take the big stock pot and bring water to a boil. drop in the chicken leg quarters so they reach temperature faster. If I take my time, the whole pot should get to "hot" (including the chicken), before putting it in the oven to slowly make a soup.

I got a cool thermometer to take temperature. The thermometer has a custom built 8" thermocouple probe. I spent several years as a consultant to fast food companies - McD's specifically. The custom probe, was left over from work with the Federal DOT. I think the project there was using the 8" probe to pierce the insulated shell of a dump truck filled with asphalt. Cooking asphalt and cooking food are very similar. People get in a LOT of trouble pouring asphalt that is too cool. You HAVE to maintain asphalt temperature through the delivery phase or the load has to be returned by law. That is why you have DOT cops on the road.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:58 AM   #10
andy
Senior Level 5

I realized a few minutes ago that the alumin tape used in construction can conduct heat to the outside. That would be inefficient. I could put in some nichrome wire to keep temperature..... later.

I could use glass cloth? What the hell! It wouldn't be as pretty?!

Thermal leakage......

All the ovens I built in the past has custom heaters built in. They were reactors. Actually, I think most were UV reactors. I could do that but it is too weird. And it is dangerous. I "did the time" with radiation poisoning with UV making a reactor several years ago. WHAT A FRIGGEN MONSTER!!! 15,000 watts! Bitch was a WMD. That was a UV powered chemical reactor. I think I used about 8 miles of wire to make that big boy. It just occurred to me that that reactor and the Ark of the Covenant" seem to be identical. Looking at both would render an army blind as a bat! UV fries your eyeballs - just like microwaves. Fortunately, I have no microwave stories! Anyway, your eye balls (the white part) is like the white part of eggs - and the way they cook.

My eyeballs got fried.

Tags
3qt, crock, stanley, vacuum