Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Our Leisure Time > Art and Photography

Art and Photography Discuss art and photography here. Show off your talents.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
leistb
There's no justice - it's just us

Thanked 2,693 Times in 1,242 Posts
Default Fall Foliage in the Southeast - Typical Fall Color Peak Periods

I've shot the mountain west plenty of times for fall colors but I haven't had the pleasure of the southeast. I'm trying to plan a driving trip for the latter part of October or beginning of November so hopefully that will come to fruition and this year will be a first for this side of the country.

Here's a link to seven southeastern states with average peak viewing times, places and resources for each state.

Anyone have any of their favorites?
leistb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leistb For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (10-07-2015), Ross (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #2
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,857 Posts
Our leaves up here have barely started turning and are not bright this year. We STILL haven't had a frost, and the nights aren't cool enough to make the colours pop. Thanksgiving is Monday, usually the leaves are down by then. Not this year.

Hope you have better luck, leistb.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rb. For This Useful Post:
leistb (10-07-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #3
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 5,565 Times in 2,521 Posts
Love to see it without HDR , you are always left wondering
how realistic that image is .

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,857 Posts
Ross, that picture looks realistic to me. Looks like it was taken during a brighter overcast day. Those conditions seem to bounce the colour around and back on itself, intensifying it. If that makes sense.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rb. For This Useful Post:
Ross (10-07-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 10:34 PM   #5
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,348 Posts
I have to recommend this: Fall along the CHEROHALA SKYWAY

The Skyway passes through 2 National Forests - the Nantahala and the Cherokee. So there's very little in the way of houses or stores to interfere with the scenery. You can read more about the Skyway on it's homepage. But there are 3 big advantages to it. One is the variation in elevation. It goes "900 feet above sea level at the Tellico River in Tennessee to over 5400 feet above sea level at the Tennessee-North Carolina state line at Haw Knob."

So, you're able to see the progression of color changes as you drive. As you climb and descend on the Skyway, you can also look out over the sides of the highway and see the gradation of colors at different elevations on the various hills and mountains which you'll be passing by. Depending on your timing (and how much color Mother Nature feels like showing this year), the mountainsides can look almost striped - like a rainbow of fall colors. The variation also gives you some flexibility in timing your trip - if the higher elevations are past peak, you'll still be able to see some good color in the lower elevations.

The 2nd advantage is that the Skyway is a good scenic highway. It's mostly 2 lanes, except for a few places where there are passing lanes. It has wide shoulders so that you can safely pull off if you want to take a pic. And it's relatively easy driving, which lets the driver at least get glimpses of the scenery, instead of having to concentrate on driving on a twisty, hilly country road.

And the 3rd advantage is that it isn't very well known outside the local area. So it isn't packed with tourist leaf-peeper traffic, like the roads used for taking a scenic drive in the Smoky's.

BUT, if you really want to do the fall color thing to the extreme, think about seeing the elusive Shadow of the Bear near the small town of Cashiers, NC.

It can only be seen for about 1/2 hour in the late afternoon during a couple of weeks in the fall and again in the spring when the angle of the sun is just right. You'll also be able to see a lot of color while driving through NC to see it.

http://www.visitnc.com/story/shadow-...all-experience

http://gosoutheast.about.com/od/nort...f-The-Bear.htm

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
Antropologo (10-06-2015), leistb (10-07-2015), NowVoyager (10-07-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 10:37 PM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
The Shadow of the Bear - my word, that's an absolute marvel!
Old 10-06-2015, 10:38 PM   #7
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,674 Times in 975 Posts
Kinda happening early here in the PacNW this year.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #8
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
The Shadow of the Bear - my word, that's an absolute marvel!
We haven't been able to catch it yet in spite of several attempts. Between DH's schedule and the weather, we just haven't been able to hit that magic moment.

But we're going to try again in a few weeks. DH is itching like crazy to try out his still-newish fancy camera because catching the Bear is one of the reasons he bought it.

So I suspect we'll be making the trip every spring and fall until he's caught it. I don't mind because it makes a really nice day trip. One of the nearby little towns, Highlands, is a pretty upscale resort town, tucked away in the middle of nowhere. It makes a great place to stop for some hot chocolate or ice cream to top off our picnic lunch.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:06 PM   #9
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 4,907 Times in 1,947 Posts
DD2 and her family traveled over part of the Blue Ridge Parkway, down in Virginia. They say it was just on the turn, about half-and-half changed. So that and Skyline Drive should be in peak in a couple of weeks.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
leistb (10-07-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 11:11 PM   #10
Antropologo
Skeptically Inquisitive

I'm partial to the Southern Appalachians - the mountains are more rugged so it makes for a better view. Anywhere from the Blue Ridge on down to the Black Mountains has beautiful scenery.

This year I want to check out Mabry Mill, though it probably will get very touristy.

Seems like the most stereotypical leaf peepers drive five miles per hour (like they've never seen a leaf before) and they usual have Florida tags.
Antropologo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antropologo For This Useful Post:
Catbird (10-06-2015), leistb (10-07-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 11:24 PM   #11
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

There are many beautiful places in the fall. This is in the N. Cascades.
leistb (10-07-2015), Wojapi (10-07-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 11:38 PM   #12
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Sysiphus - what I love about that shot are the stark contrasts... befitting a stern climate. The trees, (aspen?), may be spaced & few but they serve as stunning punctuations of colour.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:29 AM   #13
leistb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbird View Post
I have to recommend this: Fall along the CHEROHALA SKYWAY

The Skyway passes through 2 National Forests - the Nantahala and the Cherokee. So there's very little in the way of houses or stores to interfere with the scenery. You can read more about the Skyway on it's homepage. But there are 3 big advantages to it. One is the variation in elevation. It goes "900 feet above sea level at the Tellico River in Tennessee to over 5400 feet above sea level at the Tennessee-North Carolina state line at Haw Knob."

So, you're able to see the progression of color changes as you drive. As you climb and descend on the Skyway, you can also look out over the sides of the highway and see the gradation of colors at different elevations on the various hills and mountains which you'll be passing by. Depending on your timing (and how much color Mother Nature feels like showing this year), the mountainsides can look almost striped - like a rainbow of fall colors. The variation also gives you some flexibility in timing your trip - if the higher elevations are past peak, you'll still be able to see some good color in the lower elevations.

The 2nd advantage is that the Skyway is a good scenic highway. It's mostly 2 lanes, except for a few places where there are passing lanes. It has wide shoulders so that you can safely pull off if you want to take a pic. And it's relatively easy driving, which lets the driver at least get glimpses of the scenery, instead of having to concentrate on driving on a twisty, hilly country road.

And the 3rd advantage is that it isn't very well known outside the local area. So it isn't packed with tourist leaf-peeper traffic, like the roads used for taking a scenic drive in the Smoky's.

BUT, if you really want to do the fall color thing to the extreme, think about seeing the elusive Shadow of the Bear near the small town of Cashiers, NC.

It can only be seen for about 1/2 hour in the late afternoon during a couple of weeks in the fall and again in the spring when the angle of the sun is just right. You'll also be able to see a lot of color while driving through NC to see it.

http://www.visitnc.com/story/shadow-...all-experience

http://gosoutheast.about.com/od/nort...f-The-Bear.htm
That's a good set of recommendations and NC and TN are both on my radar for various reasons. The bear would be a great bonus!
Old 10-07-2015, 03:35 AM   #14
leistb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropologo View Post
I'm partial to the Southern Appalachians - the mountains are more rugged so it makes for a better view. Anywhere from the Blue Ridge on down to the Black Mountains has beautiful scenery.

This year I want to check out Mabry Mill, though it probably will get very touristy.

Seems like the most stereotypical leaf peepers drive five miles per hour (like they've never seen a leaf before) and they usual have Florida tags.
I've seen pics of Mabry Mill and it's amazing. I imagine the area is clogged with traffic. Still, it's very tempting...
Old 10-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #15
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
Sysiphus - what I love about that shot are the stark contrasts... befitting a stern climate. The trees, (aspen?), may be spaced & few but they serve as stunning punctuations of colour.
Larch I think. N Cascades are one of my favorite places on Earth.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:50 PM   #16
leistb

A complete change of plans... Bought a ticket to Boston. Five days of coastal harbors, leaves in the country and cityscapes. I've never been to Boston and with the research I've done so far I'm pretty excited. Lots of subject matter and history! Too bad I only have five days but I'm grateful for that.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:05 PM   #17
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,033 Times in 4,410 Posts
Dress for winter.

I could spend a week in the North End, Freedom Trail, Old North Church, shopping in Faneuil Hall.... I love the history in Boston. Great food too.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
leistb (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 09:10 PM   #18
leistb

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
Dress for winter.

I could spend a week in the North End, Freedom Trail, Old North Church, shopping in Faneuil Hall.... I love the history in Boston. Great food too.
Who travels without indulging in the local cuisine? Adding a pound a day to the waist sound about right?
The Following User Says Thank You to leistb For This Useful Post:
flourbug (10-13-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 09:49 AM   #19
lance
Member Level 1

Fall foliage shipped directly to your door ...

http://shipfoliage.com/

I want !!!
lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #20
D. Gale
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,703 Times in 712 Posts
Hey, I'll ship you twice as many leaves for half the price!
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #21
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 4,907 Times in 1,947 Posts
If you'd like to have beautiful russet oak leaves, I can give you a really good deal.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, fall, foliage, peak, periods, southeast, typical