Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Medical News

Medical News News, information and discussions about health issues, medicine and biotechnology.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 7,839 Times in 3,315 Posts
Arrow Aging / Chronic Health Issues - Resources

The thread on aging got me thinking that perhaps a thread with information / resources for aging / chronic health issues. Everything from free magazines to online sources for home health aide (from personal hygiene to safety adaptations, etc) to care giver resources / support groups, etc.

Dealing with any chronic health issue is more a marathon than sprint, both for the patient and their family and or care giver. Helps sometimes to have tips and suggestions that can make the process less trial and error and more success and smoother sailing.

Everyone is different, needs helps in different ways, finds different adaptations work better for them --- So please add links to sites that might help others.

Here's a free monthly magazine I first discovered in a neurologists office. Nice articles, good starting point for groups / organizations that focus on brain health issues from MS to Parkinsons, dementia, migraines, etc.

Neurology Now http://journals.lww.com/neurologynow...nservices.aspx

Sometimes you can get certain home care items via your insurance, sometimes from assorted local agencies and service groups. Some you can find in stores, but sometimes more unusual items need to be found and this is one option --- to either obtain or to see what an item is like and then either adapt what you have or locate locally.

Easier Living
http://www.easierliving.com/elderly-...-for-the-home/

Example: Hubby has essential tremors, so we've been adapting for years to address his changing needs --- When he was into his western shirt phase I took a cue from them and adapted his button up shirts with snaps.... Stitched the button holes closed, stitched snaps in place and then put the button on the shirt placket so it still looked like a button front shirt, but had the easier to us snaps .... Also good for those with more limited finger dexterity.

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
driveshesaid (10-20-2015), Feather (10-19-2015), Hollyberry (10-21-2015), linttrap (10-19-2015), Mousehound (10-20-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Excellent idea!
Feather (10-19-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
alfalfacentari

Default Health and clothing issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowVoyager View Post
The thread on aging got me thinking that perhaps a thread with information / resources for aging / chronic health issues. Everything from free magazines to online sources for home health aide (from personal hygiene to safety adaptations, etc) to care giver resources / support groups, etc.

Dealing with any chronic health issue is more a marathon than sprint, both for the patient and their family and or care giver. Helps sometimes to have tips and suggestions that can make the process less trial and error and more success and smoother sailing.

Everyone is different, needs helps in different ways, finds different adaptations work better for them --- So please add links to sites that might help others.

Here's a free monthly magazine I first discovered in a neurologists office. Nice articles, good starting point for groups / organizations that focus on brain health issues from MS to Parkinsons, dementia, migraines, etc.

Neurology Now http://journals.lww.com/neurologynow...nservices.aspx

Sometimes you can get certain home care items via your insurance, sometimes from assorted local agencies and service groups. Some you can find in stores, but sometimes more unusual items need to be found and this is one option --- to either obtain or to see what an item is like and then either adapt what you have or locate locally.

Easier Living
http://www.easierliving.com/elderly-...-for-the-home/

Example: Hubby has essential tremors, so we've been adapting for years to address his changing needs --- When he was into his western shirt phase I took a cue from them and adapted his button up shirts with snaps.... Stitched the button holes closed, stitched snaps in place and then put the button on the shirt placket so it still looked like a button front shirt, but had the easier to us snaps .... Also good for those with more limited finger dexterity.

When I was young, I had my police uniform shirts modified with a full length zipper closure, with opening pulls top and bottom. The buttons were sewed on 'fake' over the button holes, and so looked normal. This method let me quickly unzip, top or bottom, and access a concealed backup automatic pistol in front, behind my Sam Brown belt. The back-up was hidden and nobody, cops or otherwise, ever noticed it.

Now, for real-life today, with a zipper front shirt I wouldn't have trouble manipulating buttons, or needing help dressing and undressing. This would be a helpful modification much like velcro-closure shoes.

Kind regards.
alfalfacentari is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alfalfacentari For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (10-22-2015)

Tags
aging, chronic, health, issues, resources