Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Preparedness

Preparedness Join us to discuss all aspects of preparedness.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
Sourdough
Subsistence Harvester

Location: In a small cabin, next to a small creek, on a mountain, on the Kenai Peninsula, in ALASKA
Default "CACHING" Survival Supplies.......???

Does anyone have a caching program, as part of a larger preparedness goal...???
Old 12-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,412 Times in 649 Posts
When I lived in the middle of nowhere I had caches of firewood all over the place as it was high desert and not much good, keep you warm all night if you broke down burning material around.

Cut wood and pallets stashed just out of sight off trails and roads on the blm.

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #3
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
Does anyone have a caching program, as part of a larger preparedness goal...???
We don't, but it is something that we've discussed with my son. He lives near Indy and will be heading here if TSHTF. We plan under the assumption that he would travel largely by foot, although in some situations he could likely make the trip at least partly by car. He lives just south of the city and could get onto rural roads pretty quickly, assuming his car isn't fried.

He's plotted a possible route but hasn't had chance to make any trial runs yet. But portions of his route through KY and TN will be in federal or state parks or wilderness areas. So we've discussed caching as a way to lessen what he would have to carry. That's important because he'll have a young child with him. Our GS is 2 1/2 and if TSHTF before he turns 7 or 8, their travel speed is going to be slow, which means more needed supplies, and he may need to be carried part of the time.

We're at the point of looking at topo/satellite maps for likely spots. We're also talking about what he wants to include in a cache and how many he thinks he might need.

Everything is still on the discussion level for now but once he makes some decisions, we're ready to work with him on getting them set up.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
Sourdough
Subsistence Harvester

Location: In a small cabin, next to a small creek, on a mountain, on the Kenai Peninsula, in ALASKA
I have been caching for about 60 years, and have made a lot of errors. But still plugging away.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:30 PM   #5
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,027 Posts
I don't because where I go depends on why I need to leave. I have several destinations all going in different directions.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #6
Sourdough
Subsistence Harvester

Why not have several caches in several different directions.......??? I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvDemWings View Post
I don't because where I go depends on why I need to leave. I have several destinations all going in different directions.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #7
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Money. I would have to use storage facilities for environmental reasons and that would break my budget.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:58 PM   #8
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,036 Times in 4,412 Posts
Quote:
Our GS is 2 1/2 and if TSHTF before he turns 7 or 8, their travel speed is going to be slow, which means more needed supplies, and he may need to be carried part of the time.
Get a baby jogger, Catbird. You can pick them up for a reasonable price on Craigslist or resale shops. Look for the type with big bicycle wheels.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 12:52 AM   #9
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
Get a baby jogger, Catbird. You can pick them up for a reasonable price on Craigslist or resale shops. Look for the type with big bicycle wheels.
That's a good idea FB, and we've talked about that. He was very reluctant when the GS was younger, but he recently mentioned that he happened to see one and it made him reconsider. It would be most useful when's getting out of the suburban area and can go x-country in the farm areas. But once he's in the wilderness areas, it gets problematic. He might be able to manage it and it could be worthwhile, if it was collapsible, because then he could use it again whenever he gets back to an open area.

I have no doubt he can make it here with the GS on foot. The questions have to do with how safely, quickly and easily. And of course, the plans need adjusting as GS gets older.

He's going to try to come down over New Year's and he's bringing his maps so we can see his ideas for routes. Then it'll be time to start seriously working out the details.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:36 AM   #10
Sourdough
Subsistence Harvester

A small sled can work well on grass and/or snow. I use a sled to haul supplies up the mountain to the cabin. Also 120 MM ammo cans are great for small supply caching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbird View Post
He's going to try to come down over New Year's and he's bringing his maps so we can see his ideas for routes. Then it'll be time to start seriously working out the details.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #11
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

A big game cart might work and can be used for other purposes.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #12
flourbug

Hrm... if he isn't planning on following roads, I'd get a really good, comfortable backpack, a mei tai, and a lightweight folding umbrella stroller.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:47 AM   #13
flourbug

When I lived in upstate NY our house was far from a road, and the road was 3 miles from the nearest little mom and pop grocery store. It was over the mountain and through the woods, and across the stream and past the cornfield and along the windy road with lumber trucks flying 60 mph, and things that wanted to bite me every step of the way. In spring mud and summer storms and gnat clouds, and 12 freaking feet of snow in the winter. With a three year old. When it comes to crossing varied terrain with a young child, NOTHING works. No one thing - and you can't carry it all - at least not for long. Just the kid, a gallon of milk and a small bag of groceries was easily 70-80 lbs. I was okay getting TO the store, but on the way back,
Old 12-15-2015, 12:19 PM   #14
Sourdough
Subsistence Harvester

What about pre-established fall'back positions, with debris shelters........???
Old 12-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #15
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,555 Times in 2,068 Posts
Sourdough lives in a whole different world than me. I'm in the middle of the I95 corridor on the east coast, in a heavily populated suburban area. Caching items in this area doesn't seem like a viable plan. My plans really don't include leaving, I'll make the best I can where I'm at.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #16
Sourdough
Subsistence Harvester

Nothing wrong with that. There is comfort, relief, satisfaction, in choosing a course, and developing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodia View Post
My plans really don't include leaving, I'll make the best I can where I'm at.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #17
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
We're pretty non-mobile as well so our plans are based around what we can do, HERE.

Any chosen course of action or actions, carry their own advantages & disadvantages.

For us, SIP means we know the threats.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #18
Samen
unregistered

I have only one bug out location apart from where we live atm. both on land.
Transport between the 2 and getting stuff along is something I am working on now, ie a bug out transit car for max 7 people and 2 dogs and some 400-600 Kg of stuff...
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:45 PM   #19
Sourdough
Subsistence Harvester

This is a CUT & PASTE, so I hope it makes some level of logic.

My CACHING Program ERRORS and Total re-design
__________________________________________________ ________

About four or five years ago, I was feeling pretty damn smug about being prepared for SHTF event. So.....I asked myself, "Is this place defensible". And I decided, that was an unknown, with too many variables. Best answer.......Yes, no, maybe.

I started working on improving security, but soon decided that the best thing is to not have all my supplies in one location, considering forest fire and homesteading in The National Forest, theft, looters, and so-called scavenging hoards of starving humans.

So, thrown back into the caching for survival way of life, I learned that this type of caching NEEDED to be set-up very differently from past caching experience. There is more thought needs to go into the sequence and required spacing of supplies. I now assume that I have no choice but to leave the cabin, in the dark of night, in my sleeping clothes (if any), in several feet of snow, barefoot, etc. and have reconfigured the caches based on this.

This spring (actually last winter) I decided that I could die before I made it to the closest cache, and that cache might not have what was urgently needed. Another factor in rethinking the caching program was/is that as I am nearing 69 y/o I needed to move some of the far away caches closer, as I may not be able to move them at age 75, so it needed doing this year. So this summers exercise program has included hauling in caches. None of the caches had been disturbed, or damaged by moisture or bears.

Now the closest and second closest both have redundant everything needed if I show up in my undershorts and barefoot. In addition they have a prepackaged large backpack with complete camp for 3 to 5 days, and it is only two hours to the next 55 gallon drum of supplies for 30 to 40 days.

My point is that caching is more than just burying a five gallon bucket in the woods. It needs to be reviewed, and modified regularly to meet your current and your changing needs.........
AndreaCA (12-20-2015), RottieMom (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 06:37 PM   #20
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvDemWings View Post
A big game cart might work and can be used for other purposes.
That's a good idea. I've also looked at some of the collapsable/folding garden carts.

Quote:
Hrm... if he isn't planning on following roads, I'd get a really good, comfortable backpack, a mei tai, and a lightweight folding umbrella stroller.
That's pretty close to the original plan although he was going to use a front carrying sling. But that was back when GS was still a baby, and the face to face contact was important for keeping him calm. It also allowed feeding him a bottle while DS kept walking. But he's definitely outgrown a sling, so we have talked about using a front pack carrier, and having DS carry a backpack.

Quote:
When it comes to crossing varied terrain with a young child, NOTHING works. No one thing - and you can't carry it all - at least not for long. Just the kid, a gallon of milk and a small bag of groceries was easily 70-80 lbs. I was okay getting TO the store, but on the way back,
That's pretty much the issue. There's no one good solution because of the varied terrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post

My point is that caching is more than just burying a five gallon bucket in the woods. It needs to be reviewed, and modified regularly to meet your current and your changing needs.........
I agree, and in this case, the challenge is the changing needs of a growing very young boy.

DS doesn't want to travel on the roads if he's on foot, except for small rural roads. But he will try to parallel them, at least in some places. There are 2 big hurdles in KY. One is crossing the Ohio River, and the other is staying clear of the Louisville area. The good thing about KY is that my ex has family in 2 small towns, south of Louisville, about 50 miles apart and both are on the general SE route that DS will be taking. So there are a couple of safe caching points where he can also rest for a day or two. And once he gets into TN a little ways, we have some friends in a few places along his route where we can also put some caches.

So the issue right now is to ID at least one place in IN and probably 2 more in KY that would make good places for a cache. And of course, the other issue being the specifics of what to put in them.

All this planning assumes that something unexpectedly catastrophic happens, without warning. But if it's a case where there is an evolving situation and we have a little time, then he'll be driving down here. In that kind of situation, the only question is what parameters will tell him it's time to bug-out, which is a whole 'nother discussion.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #21
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,714 Posts
The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
Catbird (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 07:11 AM   #22
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 5,581 Times in 2,527 Posts
What a very different world you guys live in and what a lot of
interesting ideas .

IMO if you cannot leave home one of the most important items to
have is refrigeration able to operate independently of your normal
energy supplier . People seem to forget how important refrigeration
is to food security .

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche

Last edited by Ross; 12-20-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:
Sourdough (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 09:23 AM   #23
flourbug

Ross, Sourdough lives in a very different area. Even in the populated areas of Alaska, there are many thousands of square miles of wilderness just outside your back door.

While we have wilderness areas in the lower 48 they're still within a day's drive for tens of millions of people. Yet tens of millions of people persist in the foolish notion they will be able to take themselves off into the wilderness and live off the bounty the land provides.

These places are wild for a reason. They are unsuited for human life. If they were, they'd be full of ticky tacky little housing developments. Sure, you get the occasional Lykov family, struggling against all the tricks in Mother Nature's bag, but in general even the most seasoned outdoorsman will not last long in the wild after their supplies run out. Add in NBC warfare, and all the ravenous city folk who are swarming the mountains and deserts and now see you as the easiest thing to catch for their next meal....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
Ross (12-22-2015), Sourdough (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 09:32 AM   #24
Samen
unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post

is to food security .

I had to bring the holiday ham in from the balcony and make room in the fridge, 2 warm outside. Usually have to take it in to defrost enough before stick it in the oven.
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:32 AM   #25
Sourdough
Subsistence Harvester

Here there are many ways to refrigerate. I use the creek, the lake, and different depth of holes in the ground for refrigeration. I even use the cabin floor for refrigeration in the winter.

Propane freezers and/or refrigerators are available also, no electric required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post

is to food security .

Ross (12-20-2015)

Tags
caching, supplies, survival