Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #51
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,082 Times in 1,996 Posts
Yep. If someone wanted a roommate and specified "White only" it would have created an even BIGGER shit-storm and screams of racism that could be heard as far as Alaska.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #52
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 6,621 Times in 2,860 Posts
Princeton orders staff to stop using the term 'man' as part of a ban on 'gendered words' to make college more inclusive
Quote:
Princeton HR staff issued with new guides on college communications
Employees have been instructed to stop using all 'gendered' words
The generic term 'man' and all words involving it have been banned
Gendered pronouns such as 'he' and 'she' have been replaced with 'they'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...inclusive.html

Staff have been told to stop using the generic term 'man' and all
job titles involving the word in order to be more courteous to those
who do not identify using 'binary' gender categories

Instead of using 'he' or 'she' in job listings, staff are told to
use more generic terms or the plural 'they', and to eliminate
pronouns wherever possible
Old 08-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #53
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,643 Times in 2,104 Posts
"They" is plural, although I think it's almost universally accepted (much to my DWs chagrin) to use now to speak about a person of undefined sex.

BTW I have a family member and a friend who both work at Princeton, and I'm not at all shocked.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #54
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,772 Times in 1,023 Posts
How about "it"?
Old 08-18-2016, 05:21 PM   #55
mordan
Member - Re

Zarathustra. My diary has not so many black spots in it. Nah I lie!
mordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:40 PM   #56
Antropologo
Skeptically Inquisitive

Thanked 1,009 Times in 401 Posts
I agree that having to put "he or she" everywhere is just dumb. I never had a problem with the gender-neutral "man." Then again, though I am the masculine version of "man," I'm smart enough to recognize that the feminine (and feminist) version might not appreciate the general label of "man."

At least for the time being everyone is still human. But soon there will come a time when even the word "human" is despised and we will just have to be people.
Antropologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #57
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Default Mississauga teen calls 911 after parents 'forced her' on vacation to Trent Hills cottage

Probably didn't have cell coverage - the horror!

***A Mississauga teenager was cautioned by the Ontario Provincial Police after she called 911 last Tuesday to complain that her parents "forced her" to go on vacation with them at a rental cottage east of Toronto in Trent Hills.

"This appeared to be a case of a teenager being a teenager," Northumberland OPP Const. Steve Bates told CBC News. "Although she perceived this as a real issue, it was not an appropriate use of 911."

Officers attended the rental cottage on Trent River, about 180 kilometres northeast of Toronto, to ensure everyone was safe and that there was no "real" emergency, Bates said.

The 15-year-old girl has been cautioned for misuse of the emergency number.

"Calls such as this tie up police resources which could impact the safety of others in the community who are in real need of assistance," said Bates. ..***

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...tage-1.3730054
Old 09-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #58
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

I wonder, when my 6th grade English teacher repeatedly called me by my brother's name (who she had had previously) 2 months after he killed himself, would that be a microagrerssion?

Quote:
Mispronouncing Student’s Name Now Considered a ‘Microaggression’

By Amy Furr | September 21, 2016 | 11:57 AM EDT

Hundreds of school districts across the country have taken a pledge to “pronounce student’s names correctly” to avoid the “microaggression” of mispronunciation.

According to ‘My Name, My Identity: A Declaration of Self,’ a national campaign launched in 2015 by the Santa Clara County, Calif. Office of Education (SCCOE) and the National Association for Bilingual Education, a teacher who mispronounces a student’s name can cause that student “anxiety and resentment”.

“Mispronouncing a student’s name truly negates his or her identity, which, in turn, can hinder academic progress,” according to Yee Wan, SCCOE’s director of multilingual education services.

Rita Kohli, assistant professor of education at the University of California at Riverside, says it is a sign of “microagression” when a teacher mispronounces, disregards, or changes a child’s name, because “they are in a sense disregarding the family and culture of the student as well.”

The Washoe County School District in Reno, Nevada is one of 528 school districts across the country that have recently implemented a campaign to “pronounce students’ names correctly” - including names teachers and administrators find difficult or unfamiliar - in order to be sensitive to the ancestral and historical significance of a child’s name.
http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/amy-furr...icroaggression
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:39 PM   #59
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

The whole microagression thing is nonsense of course, if the teacher is doing her/his best, and in that case s/he should ask the student how their name is pronounced. But there ARE teachers who just don't give a rat's ass about mangling a child's name. They ARE "disregarding the family and culture of the student as well.” Not only foreign students, but those whose legal names are usually considered a diminutive of a more formal name. If your legal name is Bill or Betty, your teachers should call you that, not William or Elizabeth. I've heard stories, firsthand, of kids being suspended or given other disciplinary measures because they didn't answer when the teacher called their name incorrectly, in Betty's case because she had no idea her name was related to Elizabeth.

And THAT is a Crazy Years subject right there --suspend poor Betty for not answering to a name that isn't hers, but doing nothing to Ty'Kwan for calling the teacher a motherfucking white bitch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
flourbug (09-23-2016), rryan (09-22-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #60
A.T. Hagan

Is this the world's most modern family? The baby born to a man who was a woman who got pregnant by a woman who was a man... and they want more

Transgender man Fernando Machado fell pregnant by transgender woman
Mr Machado - born a woman - gave birth to couple's first child in June
He fell pregnant by Diane Rodriguez - who was born a man - last year
The couple have now revealed that they want to expand their brood

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...der-woman.html

Transgender man Fernando Machado (left) - who was born a
woman - gave birth to a baby in June this year, pictured with
his partner Diane Rodriguez (right) - who was born a man
Old 09-28-2016, 07:57 AM   #61
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Crucifix, Trump chalkings reported as 'hate incidents' at UW-L

A report released by the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse’s “Hate Response Team” shows that more than 10 percent of reported hate incidents were determined to be fake or frivolous.

In fact, the report notes that 28 of 192 reports were found to be either completely fake or “not a bias/hate incident,” accounting for 14 percent of all incidents reported.

A Crucifix was reported for representing “oppression and hate of the LGBT+ community.”

Meanwhile, of the reports that were legitimate, students complained about everything from images of the crucifix to a blog post about life on campus as a white student.

According to The La Crosse Tribune, one student reported feeling unsafe when discovering a Campus Crusade for Christ poster on campus, claiming that the cross represents “oppression and hate of the LGBT+ community.”

Two other students turned in one of their peers for publishing a blog post about life as a white student, calling his post offensive to students of color, and even saying that the proximity of the author’s off-campus residence made them feel unsafe living on campus.

After the infamous “chalkening” had spread to UW La Crosse’s campus, several students reported the incident to the Hate Response Team, whose report shows a drastic increase in activity over the few days it occurred—18 reports in just three days.

The school had initially responded to the chalkening with a Facebook post that called it “contradictory to our mission as a university,” but later deleted the post after facing national criticism.

In most cases, students who reported instances of bias refused contact with the Hate Response Team, with only 34 of 192 reporters requesting contact from a Hate Response Team advocate.

Of the 192 reports, 56 of them were simply classified as a “statement,” which the Hate Response Team describes as “not only words that are spoken, but also instances where hateful messages are conveyed using sign language, gestures, or similar forms of direct interpersonal communication.”

But the Hate Response Team continues to defend itself as being consistent with the First Amendment rights of students, arguing in its report that “while the First Amendment protects free expression of ideas that are sometimes offensive, that does not mean the university is powerless to respond.”

Indeed, the Hate Response Team claims that its mission is to “assist the victim/target in receiving the appropriate services,” but only 34 students requested such services in the past academic year alone.

The Hate Response Team has been highly criticized by several national institutions, including the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE), which awarded the school its February “Speech Code of the Month” award.

“While many of these policies stop short of actually allowing for punishment of protected speech, they nonetheless have a serious and chilling effect on student and faculty expression,” FIRE wrote of the Hate Response Team. “A university cannot be a place of free and open debate when it actively encourages students to report on each other’s perceived wrong-speak in classrooms and living spaces. That is Big Brother at his finest.”
http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8180
Old 10-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #62
A.T. Hagan

Pentagon will now pay for transgender soldiers to have gender reassignment surgery - but retirees and family of service members are not covered
Quote:
Military lifted its ban on transgender men and women serving in June
Now any soldier whose ability to serve is affected by their gender identity will be eligible for reassignment surgery or hormone therapy
Children of soldiers and retirees will also be able to take advantage of the new transgender health benefits but not the operation
Gender-reassignment surgery which can cost between $7,000 and $50,000 per operation and could cost up to $8.4m a year, experts say
Announcement has been met with criticism from equality groups who argue the operation should be available to family and retirees
While conservative military groups claimed it was a waste of military funds
Last month Chelsea Manning, jailed for leaking state secrets in 2013, was told she could have her gender reassignment surgery paid for
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-covered.html

The U.S. military has announced it will now pay for gender
reassignment surgery for transgender soldiers (US Secretary
of Defense Ashton Carter lifted the ban on transgender troops
in June)
Old 10-24-2016, 12:24 AM   #63
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 8,059 Times in 3,383 Posts

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
Antropologo (10-24-2016), Potemkin (11-08-2016), proteus (11-06-2016), Sonny (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 10:24 AM   #64
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

If that's what you want to believe at home...

Old 11-08-2016, 11:05 AM   #65
A.T. Hagan

White teacher is suspended from school for wearing the same Michael Jordan mask and costume he's worn for 18 years for Halloween - after students branded it cultural appropriation

Peter Colino wore a Michael Jordan mask, jersey and black gloves to class
He was placed on leave after video spread through school on Snapchat
Colino said his intent was to honor NBA star and not cause offense
He said he has dressed as Jordan for years to get his students excited
This year, some students told him the costume was cultural appropriation

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-costume.html

‘I'm not a perfect teacher. I've always wanted to be a better
teacher. But please don't equate me with blackface or racism,’
Peter Colino said

Peter Colino (left, in his Michael Jordan costume) has been placed on paid leave after
wearing it to school; he insists it is racist (Jordan is pictured in his playing days,
right, in 1998)
Old 11-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #66
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,772 Times in 1,023 Posts
Just shop at a different store you dumb bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodia View Post
If that's what you want to believe at home...

Old 11-08-2016, 08:40 PM   #67
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

"You're entitled to your opinion... but your opinion is wrong!"

Buh-bye Sweetpea...
Old 11-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #68
A.T. Hagan

UVA president who quoted founder Thomas Jefferson in a post-election email faces backlash from students and faculty because he owned slaves
Quote:
Teresa Sullivan quoted the Founding Father in an email to students
She urged unification in the wake of the election and quoted Jefferson
But students and faculty objected to it because Jefferson owned slaves
Professor Noelle Hurd wrote a letter to Sullivan signed by 469 students and professors
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-slaves.html

Teresa Sullivan (left), the president of the University of Virginia – which was founded by
Thomas Jefferson – has been asked by students and professors to stop quoting him
because he owned slaves. Professor Noelle Hurd (right) drafted a letter against
quoting Jefferson that attracted 469 signatures
Old 11-15-2016, 12:28 PM   #69
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Read this earlier and thought what a delightful addition to the Crazy Years thread. Thanks for posting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
A.T. Hagan (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #70
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,207 Times in 3,358 Posts
There are times when the only thing to do is or .

Or both.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #71
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

We could always go snitch Canada Sue's maple fudge. Lots better than banging our heads on the wall!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
Catbird (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #72
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Try that & watch me redefine 'crazy years'.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:22 AM   #73
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Six journalism students try to use 'ancient technology' to find a phone number.

We're doomed:

***When's the last time you used the P.E.I. phone book? Do young people even know how to use one?

We asked six journalism students at Holland College in Charlottetown to use the phone book to find a number in Fernwood, P.E.I.

Only one of the students succeeded.

Watch the video to see how they did...***

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince...lege-1.3853688
Old 11-18-2016, 01:06 PM   #74
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

So they thought that just random leafing through would let them find it?
Old 11-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #75
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,514 Times in 2,755 Posts
Journalism student?

Well, it is only a College not a University.

Tags
big, bottom, bowlhaters, cereal, crazy, hurting, lazy, line, millennial, thread, years