Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Medical News

Medical News News, information and discussions about health issues, medicine and biotechnology.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:22 AM   #26
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
No way I'll risk moving around quickly on ice & we're prone to ice here. I have a fair bit of floor space open in the 2nd bedroom, lots of stuff I can use for light weights & if push come to shove, I can bench press the cat.

We should have 4-8 weeks before we get our 'winter' here so I'm not too worried.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #27
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Well, that was embarrassing. No, nobody saw me lumbering along my local residential streets, so embarrassing is the wrong word. Let's go with humiliating or more honestly - humbling. See - the Inner Me is young, fit, can do anything she wants to, whenever she wants to. Unfortunately, there's a huge disconnect with reality & when my brain tries to tell me body these outrageously lies, my body breaks into hysterical giggles.

I haven't broken out of a fast walk unless I've had to, (to catch a bus), for a looong time & my body hasn't exactly been in freeze mode since I last did so. The passage of time has taken its toll. The first week of the plan is simple, do some gentle stretching, (they give you some good ones), walk briskly for 5 minutes, then do 8 repetitions of jogging for 60 seconds, followed by 90 seconds of walking. After the 8 repetitions, walk for 5 minutes, stretch again, then you're done!

Snort! The brisk walking - a breeze. The first 20 seconds of slow jogging - easy peasy. Then it got real. I have gained, in the past 3 months, 18% of my starting body weight in mostly - fat. I needed it - I didn't have a layer of anything between my outsides & my insides but my frame isn't used to carrying that around & wasted no time in reminding me of this unfortunate fact today. I also remembered, partway through, that body needs 5-6 minutes of jogging before settling into the job & feeling comfy. This 1st week's routine doesn't permit that before you take a walk break.

Too damned bad; it's not going to kill me. I got my 8 repetitions in - think I might have accidently stuck in a 9th as I sort of lost track & didn't want to short myself. A hundred 'pin point aches & pains' presented themselves; nothing that couldn't safely be ignored & ignored, they were. I wasn't dying at the end of it - just a bit winded & that post smoking cough I never had? NOW I'm coughing & my windpipe hurts a bit.

This is simply the first day of the Second Step of my "Treat Yourself Better" Program. The non-smoking part is going well & the jogging gives me something else to focus on & I'll see more benefit if I'm not weighing myself down with the millstone of smoking. If this works out the way I hope, (one day, one run at a time), by the end of January I'll be 4 months smoke free & will be able to jog/run 30 minutes & maybe 3 miles within that 30 minutes. Step Three doesn't start until the end of December...
Feather (12-04-2016), rb. (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #28
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

Kung Foo has some strange but very good stretching............. if you have a "back problem"
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #29
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I may eventually get into a martial art or other 'organized' fitness activity. I refuse to get ahead of myself & in any case, money in our household is really, really tight. We may have quit smoking - SO is right there too! - but still have to watch the pennies. Running is easy - pull on my running shoes &...open the door. Stretching the right way is easy enough; running websites not only have good stretches to do but also lots of great advice about moving slowly, no bouncing & that pesky little point about increasing age means benefits may take longer to manifest themselves... tell me about it!

I like where I live for running - I can vary my route so many ways, including adding long, gradual slopes or nasty, sharp little inclines. Again - first I'll worry about slogging my way to 30 minutes straight running. That seems like such a distance dream right now but never did I think I'd go 32 days without a cigarette either. Maybe I can do more than I ever thought I can... one small step at a time.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:53 PM   #30
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzuwNHC50Zo
Start easy
Old 11-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #31
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Looks EASY? I didn't get past the 1st one but my connection was freezing up. Even so, I'm a good ways from starting anything that stretchy - muscley. I'm going to take this nice & slow...
Old 11-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #32
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

Another "looks easy".......... If you can cover 15 feet without screaming "I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN AS LONG AS I LIVE" you are starting well.
I go through "IT" every day so you should too......................
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp-zoscUCRA
Old 11-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #33
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I don't find that hard. All I'm trying to avoid at this point are any fast movements. Slow & steady is fine.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #34
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

Quote:
I don't find that hard
OH GOOD................... Advanced "Bear Crawl"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgxA-PslSMY
Old 11-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #35
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Funny - I don't find that kind of movement tough & it's excellent core work. I do have be mindful of staying properly 'squared up' though - my butt tends to want to reach for the sky.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:01 AM   #36
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

Most Kung Foo schools will give you 1 or 2 free classes and if you do the advanced bear crawl for 5 or 6 days a week for a couple of weeks you would be ready for a ""free lesson" and would finish the hour without a cardiac arrest.
Its a massive confidence lift just to say I just had a KUNG FOO lesson
Old 11-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #37
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

About the only Kung foo I could handle today is Kung Foo panda...LOL I think I ate too much chocolate yesterday or had too much sugar or something. Stabbing headache all night & a wretched sleep. I couldn't even do the medication run for SO this morning & I'm letting him handle our Stop Smoking clinic appointment this afternoon - no way I'm up to walking 4 miles. It's just to get our next installment of patches & inhalers & give the therapist a status update on how we feel about it all... wrote it all down for her.

Won't even think of attempting my run today - can do that tomorrow after work.

I've never been drawn to the martial arts but it's certainly a thought process I can visit once I start feeling a bit healthier.

Right now, I still feel like a sludge ridden slug.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #38
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default Ah hah! At Last, Some Positives

I'm just over 6 weeks now & I'm starting to see some positive changes.

Most importantly, it's finally sunk in that I'm no longer trapped by smoking. I don't have to sweat times I CAN'T smoke... because I don't have to. I still get cravings but far fewer, they're less intense & don't last as long.

My pulse rate & blood pressure are up - I don't understand that & it may have more to do with the weight I gained these last few months. They're both high normal but I'm going to make an appointment with my GP anyway - just to make sure there's nothing else going on.

I'm still having some sleep issues but those are slowly improving & I no longer feel exhausted most of the time. Ability to taste & smell have really improved this last week.

And finally, my lungs have started the slow process of bringing up years of inhaled junk.
AndreaCA (12-08-2016), Feather (12-09-2016), rb. (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 12:39 AM   #39
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
Sue, your odyssey spurred me on. I went two days ago to the vape shop. I'm still 50/50 vaping/smoking, but I woke yesterday morning and today feeling better than in a long time. Thanks!
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:57 AM   #40
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Great job!
Old 12-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #41
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,254 Times in 3,372 Posts
Sue, I'm truly inspired by what you're doing, and that you have the courage to share it with us.

Having said that in all sincerity, I just wanted to mention that you've left out one of the benefits or your work out program.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (12-11-2016), Feather (12-13-2016), linttrap (12-11-2016), rb. (12-12-2016), Ter (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #42
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

ROFL! I might feel like that tomorrow. Week #3 = 2 repeats of jog 90 seconds followed by jog THREE MINUTES. Equal amounts of time walking in between. I'll be fine, I think. My biggest concern isn't the increase in continuous running time but the weather. It's snowing now & I may be dealing with 2-3" on the road by the time I head out the door tomorrow. Side streets mean if need be, I can run on the road & I plan on it.

The positives - I'm learning to deal with differing wind & weather conditions, as well as footing. I don't have to fuss with treadmill settings or running apps that go wonky. It's just me, my shoes, a watch & a nice variety of local residential streets.

The not smoking is starting to get a whole lot easier - finally. I'm losing the pissy attitude, find myself in a revoltingly good mood more often than not & the urge to stuff chocolate in my face has faded big time.
Feather (12-13-2016), linttrap (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #43
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,655 Times in 2,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
Kung Foo has some strange but very good stretching............. if you have a "back problem"
Tai chi?

Quite common for the **ahem** "older set" at the local YMCA or the center court of the local mall while others are walking on the inside during inclement weather.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
Feather (12-13-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #44
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I've watched a few Tai chi videos. Nice, slow but controlled & purposeful movements. Something I should look at.

Our neighbourhood has always been the red headed stepchild of this city. Too much concentrated poverty, crime & negative attitudes. The city has embarked on a multi-year renewal project & one of the exciting developments is the building of a new community center. We had one but it was a wreck & not suitable to the many potential uses. The old one has been torn down & ground has been broken for the new construction. A gymnasium is part of the new center & I'm really hoping low cost classes in yoga, tai chi & other suitable forms of exercise may be available.

I'm waiting for the part of the process where they look for neighbourhood RESIDENTS to contribute ideas & even volunteer time. Before the center was approved & funded, they held meetings among the major stakeholders - landlords, business, different government & NGO agencies. I was a bit miffed that they skipped the end user in the first round of consultations. But in the meantime, I'm making notes with ideas & I'd love to see fitness classes of any description included.
Feather (12-13-2016)

Tags
achilles, heel