Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Medical News

Medical News News, information and discussions about health issues, medicine and biotechnology.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #1
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

Default soon to have weight loos surgery

I am in process of getting weight loss surgery. I am 4 months on the 7 month requirement that I am on a dr approved weightloss diet.

After that I will be getting the sleeve surgery. I should be able to get down to 200-175 lbs from the 360 that I am now. I will be keeping this up to date to tell you my progress. I am 5'8" tall and 175lbs would be a ideal weight. I would need a additional surgery to remove the Panniculus the flap of skin /fatty tissue that is near the tummy /hip area but that has to wait for another year for me to get down to the maintained weight.

I currently have a cpap machine that I would love to say I dont need any more...I sometimes need oxygen to get around the house or when I go out but we think that might be due to damage to my lungs from June when I was sick and hospitalized with bronchitis

currently I am weighing 362.8 that is down from last month of 367.2lbs

your thoughts a comments are welcome

Last edited by kaneohegirl; 11-17-2016 at 02:21 PM.
kaneohegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to kaneohegirl For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (11-18-2016), andy (11-18-2016), blue gecko (11-18-2016), Cactus Az (11-18-2016), Catbird (11-17-2016), dharma (11-18-2016), Exodia (11-17-2016), Feather (11-18-2016), flourbug (11-17-2016), Hollyberry (11-18-2016), linttrap (11-17-2016), lisa (11-17-2016), NowVoyager (11-17-2016), rb. (11-17-2016), RottieMom (11-18-2016), spinnerholic (11-18-2016), Ter (11-17-2016), ukmum (11-17-2016), Wojapi (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,036 Times in 4,412 Posts
Wishing you all the best, kaneohegirl.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
It's lot of hard work, isn't it? Keep up the good work - it won't be long now before the surgery.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #4
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,865 Posts
As someone who's struggled to first gain, then lose weight...even 10 flippin' lbs., I am cheering you on!

Hope you feel a fantastic difference.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
ukmum

Thanked 1,460 Times in 574 Posts
Good luck with your weight loss
ukmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

Even just the Dr approved weightless is hard . the first couple of months the scale only moved in ounces loll.this month was the most I've lost but font think it was wholly fat I think I had some water weight happening there
Old 11-17-2016, 11:01 PM   #7
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

It's going to be good practice for mindful eating after the surgery. Has the surgeon discussed with you how much stomach capacity you'll be left with, post-procedure?
Old 11-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #8
Hollyberry
Member Level 4

Thanked 1,001 Times in 355 Posts
Wishing you all the very best with the surgery.

ETA I recently met someone who told me that they have had this - although I am not sure which version of bariatric surgery. I don't know them very well as yet, but if I get chatting and they have useful advice, I will most certainly share.
Hollyberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #9
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,714 Posts
Make sure you avail yourself of any psychological counseling who will also assist working through any co-enablers issues if you have any.

Some people who get such surgeries and are successful frequently lose friends or even family members so extended counseling may also be required.

Nutrition, and not just caloric control, will be important afterwards so a nutritionist is also called for.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #10
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

I am going to get the sleeve version of the surgery.

I have both a therapist and a psychiatrist Since I have Bipolar its kinda requirement lol. but I have been stable (as I can Be) and on meds for quite awhile.

I have been reviewing dietary things and have been speaking to a nutritionist/dietitian. it is amazing the amount of food I will be eating after surgery but as long as I am not hungry I dont care, I am already training my body to only eat when hungry and I am eating smaller portions tho it wont be as small as I will be going to. I think one of the sample menus I was reading was like a protein shake in the morning and 2 spoons of cottage cheese for lunch and a half a chicken breast for dinner I think this was for day 7 or 14 I have to go back and read it again and 64 ounces of water everyday and a slew of vitamins on top of my regular meds

it means that since I have also adapted a low/no salt diet that the regular WONDERFUL fast food gin joints just arent that great anymore too salty. and I love me a Big Mac LOL but alas like I said food is changing for me but also means it changes for my family. we dont eat out much anyway and it makes the kids appreciate salty in smaller quantities we just use the table shaker if needed. we use several types of Mrs Dash great stuff Mrs Dash is.

Right now I have a slow cooker going with potatoes carrots onions a thin sliced rumproast with a Irish stoat slow cooker sauce no other seasoning added we will see later if it needs any
Old 11-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #11
Cactus Az

Good for you.

It is hard work. Two of my nursing friends had the surgery. One did everything she was told. Lost an amazing amount of weight, and looked fantastic. The other prettty much ignored all recommendations. She also lost weight, but she looked horrible. Gray, flabby, no energy.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #12
Susie
I am NOT French, I just happen to live here

No coke, no frybread!
Maybe let the family be in charge of shopping and cooking..or serving you.
You can do it!
Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #13
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

She'll do great. The nutritional & psychological support, kg is crucial. The nutritional support, because as you're seeing, the quantities of food you can eat are limited, so you have to get the right foods. I don't know what your average daily intake of calories will be but you're probably going to be losing 3-5 lbs. a week for the first several months. And you're going to become a whizz at many aspects of nutrition!

It's not unreasonable to say "everything is going to change". As the weight starts coming off, (& it will be quick at first), your point of balance will shift. You might lose some aches & pains & temporarily gain new ones as your body will carry itself differently. Your whole metabolism is going to change over time - heck, you'll even sweat differently! Your sleep will improve & your energy levels rise. Furniture will feel different - chairs & beds, stairs will be much easier. Clothes will fit differently & as your sizes drop, you'll have a whole lot more choice.

But it's not fun or easy. Overeating isn't just physical. Like drinking, smoking, shopping, gambling or other bad habits, we indulge to soothe uncomfortable or negative feelings. Not happy? Eat. Angry? Have a cigarette - I'm divvying out the bad habits here so no one feels slighted...LOL. You're going to find after surgery that after a meal, you're not physically HUNGRY because your smaller stomach is full but hunger; hungers - aren't just physical. They're in our heads & THAT is the struggle. I can't begin to tell you how to deal with that - I'm still struggling through that myself with the quitting smoking. You may fid after surgery it's one or two specific foods that thinking about can almost bring you to tears.

You're going to get through it. Find a 'dream outfit' in a catalogue or more than one. Cut it out - tape it to your mirror or put it somewhere that you can see when you feel discouraged. EXPECT times when you feel discouraged. There are people in your lives that may have totally snotty reactions & that can be hurtful; especially if they're close to you. Screw them! You're doing this for YOU. You're doing your damnedest to be the best person you can for YOU & only secondarily for those you love.

Good counsel can help you with that & there will be times you need it. Grab it & ask for support here when you need it. You deserve it.

And bear in mind, a lot of prescriptions are weight based. You may end up taking a lot less medication down the road - cheaper, fewer side effects. Keep track of your bipolar symptoms - I don't know enough about it to really know but that much weight loss may alter your brain chemistry enough to trigger some interesting swings.

Most of all remember - YOU are worth the hard work you're putting in. And we'll be here for you.
AndreaCA (11-19-2016), blue gecko (11-22-2016), Catbird (11-22-2016), Hollyberry (11-21-2016), linttrap (11-20-2016), Mama Alanna (11-18-2016), NowVoyager (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 04:08 PM   #14
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,445 Posts
I'm sure you will do great.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:37 PM   #15
AndreaCA
one of those hopelessly disorganized people

Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,404 Posts
I'm pulling for you, kaneohegirl! As someone who struggles with obesity and keeping weight off, I completely understand and applaud your decision to do something about it. In addition to the counselling, I would also recommend a real life support group. I've found TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) to be really useful to me. I haven't lost much weight the past few months due to illness and the inability to exercise regularly, but for the first time in forever, I also haven't gained any weight! I think I owe it to the accountability of my TOPS meetings. If they aren't your cup of tea, I've also heard great things about Over Eaters Anonymous.

I've had several family members and friends who have had great success with the surgery, so I know it works for weight loss. But, I also have a sister who has lost a ton of weight due to the surgery and has kept it off, but she didn't follow the nutritional guidelines and is currently an unhealthy mess. Not telling you this to scare you, just letting you know that real problems can happen by not following the "after" eating plan.

Wishing you all the best and looking forward to reading about your journey! (((HUGS)))
Old 11-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #16
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,176 Times in 628 Posts
Ditto on that!!!
Old 11-22-2016, 08:52 AM   #17
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

yep the nutritional issues will be the hardest but I can do it!
Old 11-26-2016, 09:06 AM   #18
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,027 Posts
KG would you be willing to share your post procedure menu's and vitamin regimen with us?
Feather (11-26-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #19
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

yeah when I get it I will share it I just dont know how different from bypas it will be

from what I know right now it will be liquid diet for the first few weeks , water, yogurt, jello, protein shakes, sugar free fudgecicles. They havent told me the vitamins yet but I have read a regimen for the Bypass and it is a multi vitamin, a b vitamin, a c vitamin, a d vitamin, and either B12 pills or a monthly B 12 shot and if its the same I think I would get the shot too, to many pill as it is LMAO

Last edited by kaneohegirl; 12-01-2016 at 11:50 AM.
kaneohegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #20
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

Last Drs visit lost 2 lbs not great but not bad got 3 more months of supervised weightloss to do before surgery
Old 12-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #21
Traitor Vic

Some advice since I know 3 people that have had this done with good success then had drug and booze problems afterward. Be sure to stay away from booze and drugs. For some reason they are a big draw to some people afterwards.

Good luck. Protect your liver too.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/stor...-loss-surgery/

Last edited by Traitor Vic; 12-14-2016 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Added link
Traitor Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #22
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

interesting article and good to know... My drinking is limited to a glass of wine every month or so and a margarita on special occasions. and once the surgery is done there is to be NO drinking for a year
Old 12-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #23
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Really pulling for you, kg. I understand it's quite a journey, so bumps along the way can be expected. We're all pulling for you though & will continue to do so.
Feather (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 01:25 PM   #24
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor Vic View Post
Some advice since I know 3 people that have had this done with good success then had drug and booze problems afterward. Be sure to stay away from booze and drugs. For some reason they are a big draw to some people afterwards.

Good luck. Protect your liver too.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/stor...-loss-surgery/
DNRTA but yes, you have to be careful which is why the reputable clinic always add psych and nutrition counseling to the mix.

No need substituting one addiction (food) with another like alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, excessive exercise, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
Feather (12-16-2016)
Old 01-10-2017, 08:10 AM   #25
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

I go to have another month of supervised dr visit on wed. I have been watching portion sizes but weight is still the same it is rather frustrating to try and diet and nothing happens but in the end it will be all right. plus they want me to chew my food 20-30 times before swallowing, not to drink anything 30 min before or after meal or during meals I think thats the hardest thing I love to drink stuff during meals

Im going to have start drinking non sugar drinks I have pretty much stopped drinking soda only getting it every so often. but I need to stop with the regular sugar koolaide and start making it with splenda even tho I hate the taste of artificial sweetners but sugar will cause what is called dumping syndrome after weight loss surgery so if I want anything besides water I gotta get used to it.

Tags
loos, surgery, weight