Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #101
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,242 Posts
So why aren't these news sites being fined for their lies? Sorry if I am sounding very naive here.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #102
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,225 Times in 4,495 Posts
I think it was John Adams who said our form of government is unsuited to all but a virtuous people.

Our Founders were more concerned with protecting us against crooked politicians than a crooked press. We have a Constitutional right to criticize our government, and that includes strong protections for publishers who dare to speak out against the ruling class.

Now the MSM is owned by 6 people, all 'globalists' who support the leftist agenda. Their monopoly allows them to use the persuasive power of the press to publish lies and opinion in such a way readers view it as factual news, and the public figures they libel are afforded virtually no legal protection.

Trump said he wants to open up libel laws to hold publishers who print malicious lies responsible for their actions. I do not expect the press to agree.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:51 PM   #103
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,768 Times in 1,022 Posts
Quote:
Now the MSM is owned by 6 people, all 'globalists' who support the leftist agenda. Their monopoly allows them to use the persuasive power of the press to publish lies and opinion in such a way readers view it as factual news, and the public figures they libel are afforded virtually no legal protection.
Globalism is now endemic among the establishment of both political parties. As you allude to, it's a serious problem when the core press have effectively become mouthpieces for the establishment, which is what has happened. I highly doubt the Founders contemplated such concentrated ownership of media outlets. In their day, the press was largely a local phenomenon. I think there needs to be some degree of accountability whatever position of the political spectrum a media company sits on. When you combine pervasive control of the media with the stranglehold that large financial institutions and corporations now have over the country (both political and economic), it is a very dangerous thing. We are in uncharted territory, and it will likely end quite badly I think.
flourbug (02-01-2017), Mousehound (02-01-2017), NowVoyager (02-01-2017), rryan (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #104
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,242 Posts
Seeing as how it has gotten out of hand, maybe some changes need to be made. It has gotten so bad on Facebook, that I really hate going there. I spend most of my time blocking things lately.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mousehound For This Useful Post:
Sysiphus (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #105
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,768 Times in 1,022 Posts
Quote:
It has gotten so bad on Facebook, that I really hate going there. I spend most of my time blocking things lately.
FB has become a shit sandwich of bitterness and anger. I find many of my "friends" reposting the same tired material over and over again. Then they go and respond to postings from other "friends" on the opposite side of the political spectrum ad nauseum. It is like a two-ringed circle jerk, and I am tired of it. FB was already questionable, but now it is a complete waste of time since about 9 out of 10 postings are political in nature and I have to spend most of my time picking through them to find the non-political postings that I actually want to read.
Exodia (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #106
Dietrich
Niche player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousehound View Post
So why aren't these news sites being fined for their lies? Sorry if I am sounding very naive here.
For better or worse, the short answer is we don't fine people for saying stupid shit, even lying, about politicians. I am allowed to write on a blog: "Obama is a murderer", if I feel like it. No fines of any kind.

There's a much higher premium on freedom of speech here than in Europe. I could deny the holocaust here (I wouldn't..it's just an example). I can't in England. This comes with costs and benefits.
Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dietrich For This Useful Post:
rryan (02-02-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 08:56 PM   #107
leistb
There's no justice - it's just us

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,270 Posts
The headline on Drudge right now links to an AP story so I can't post the link but the article is a classic example and just the latest from the AP, of fake news. Lead with a sensational headline meant to bait the reader, back it up with anonymous sources and then bury the disclaimer deep within the article. Reading the headline you'd think Trump is getting ready to deploy troops into Mexico. Silliness.
leistb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leistb For This Useful Post:
flourbug (02-01-2017), NowVoyager (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 10:06 PM   #108
flourbug

They're trying to paint Trump as an obnoxious buffoon who is going to ruin international relations. There's another article now about a contentious conversation with Australia. As with Mexico the people involved are denying the reports.

Also:

And, the man who claimed his mother died because of Trump's EO... turns out that was a lie. http://www.foxla.com/news/local-news/233065483-story
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
leistb (02-01-2017), lisa (02-02-2017), NowVoyager (02-01-2017), rb. (02-01-2017), Thymeless (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 01:59 AM   #109
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

I totally agree with Trump on this..........
If they empty out the refugee camps here and send them to the US the people smugglers will soon replace them hoping its a back-door into the US

Last edited by Malcolm; 02-02-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:12 AM   #110
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

The report as "TRUE" and I cant even post a link at the moment
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world...-turnbull.html
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #111
Fartacus
Go Cubs Go!

Thanked 3,395 Times in 1,469 Posts
Default Bowling Green Massacre Fund

For the victims of this horrible tragedy.

https://www.bowlinggreenmassacrefund.com/

http://fox59.com/2017/02/03/trump-ad...defending-ban/

The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners.
Fartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #112
flourbug

It looks like the MSM wants to start wars. First claims of Russian hacking of our election (which were silenced as soon as Trump wanted an investigation into election fraud) then the Russians hacked a public utility (turns out that was pure fabrication) then claims of an unauthorized leak of a transcript (which has never been made public) of a phone call threatening to send troops to Mexico... which rightfully was thought to be a threat of an act of war.

Quote:
"I know it with absolute certainty, there was no threat,” Peña Nieto spokesman Eduardo Sanchez said in a radio interview. “The things that have been said are nonsense and a downright lie."
Quote:
If Trump did indeed threaten to send soldiers to Mexico “that's tantamount to invasion,” Hope said.
http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-...201-story.html

Now, a "Muslim ban" which is no such thing and much less restrictive than the bans in effect in most other countries, Muslim countries included.

Apparently they never heard the fable of The Boy Who Cried Wolf.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
leistb (02-05-2017), NowVoyager (02-04-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #113
flourbug

Every schoolchild knows the Statue of Liberty was designed to look like Libertas, the Roman Goddess of Liberty and Freedom. Libertas is depicted in art and used as a symbol throughout history and in multiple cultures.

CBS didn't get the memo. They say Libertas is Muslim:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cbsfake.jpg (105.5 KB, 71 views)
Old 02-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #114
flourbug

"Errors"? LOL FAKE NEWS!

Quote:
Errors From The Press Are Piling Up In The Opening Weeks Of The Trump Administration

Journalists can’t seem to get their stories straight in the opening weeks of the Trump administration, whether in tweets or in articles where falsehoods have been spread almost daily.

The mistakes have not just been from newer liberal news outlets such The Huffington Post or BuzzFeed, but from legacy media like Reuters, The Washington Post, and The New York Times.

What follows are several botched stories or conflicting reports since President Trump took office.
Long article.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/04/er...dministration/
Old 02-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #115
leistb
There's no justice - it's just us

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,270 Posts
Default 16 Fake News Stories Reporters Have Run Since Trump Won

Full details at the source:

Quote:
Since at least Donald Trump’s election, our media have been in the grip of an astonishing, self-inflicted crisis. Despite Trump’s constant railing against the American press, there is no greater enemy of the American media than the American media. They did this to themselves.

We are in the midst of an epidemic of fake news. There is no better word to describe it than “epidemic,” insofar as it fits the epidemiological model from the Centers for Disease Control: this phenomenon occurs when “an agent and susceptible hosts are present in adequate numbers, and the agent can be effectively conveyed from a source to the susceptible hosts.”

The “agent” in this case is hysteria over Trump’s presidency, and the “susceptible hosts” are a slipshod, reckless, and breathtakingly gullible media class that spread the hysteria around like—well, like a virus.

1. Early November: Spike in Transgender Suicide Rates
  2. November 22: The Tri-State Election Hacking Conspiracy Theory
  3. December 1: The 27-Cent Foreclosure
  4. January 20: Nancy Sinatra’s Complaints about the Inaugural Ball
  5. January 20: The Nonexistent Climate Change Website ‘Purge’
  6. January 20: The Great MLK Jr. Bust Controversy
  7. January 20: Betsy DeVos, Grizzly Fighter
  8. January 26: The ‘Resignations’ At the State Department
  9. January 27: The Photoshopped Hands Affair
  10. January 29: The Reuters Account Hoax
  11. January 31: The White House-SCOTUS Twitter Mistake
  12. January 31: The Big Travel Ban Lie
  13. February 1: POTUS Threatens to Invade Mexic
  14. February 2: Easing the Russian Sanctions
  15. February 2: Renaming Black History Month
  16. February 2: The House of Representatives’ Gun Control Measures
leistb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leistb For This Useful Post:
flourbug (02-09-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #116
flourbug

Quote:
El Nacional published on Friday as Donald Trump a picture of actor Alec Baldwin, who imitates on a television program the president of the United States. The picture was sent that day by Associated Press (AP) with the name of the actor and reported on the program, but was placed as if it were Trump's, a situation that went unnoticed for all who reviewed page 19. National apolgizes to the readers and all those who felt affected by the publication.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...mp-cover-story
Old 03-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #117
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,628 Times in 2,099 Posts
Keep getting an ad in the middle of my Facebook feed for the New York Times as this bastion of truth in a time of alternative facts and fake news.

I reported the post to Facebook as fake news.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
flourbug (03-10-2017), leistb (03-10-2017), Ross (03-10-2017)

Tags
bowling, fake, fund, green, massacre, news, thread