Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Outdoors > Farm and Garden

Farm and Garden For those who grow the food they eat. Post articles and information, and discuss here.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,700 Posts
Default January 2017 Homestead and Garden Thread

This is a great time for looking through SEED CATALOGS!!

Of course around here there are plenty of other projects too. Most of them involve getting ready for seeds from SEED CATALOGS!! Along with a little actual planting at least in the green house and spreading forest forage crops. This year I also get to look through the Conservation Practice Catalog in hopes there will be grant money to do some bigger projects. Right now there is quite a bit of effort going into 'beautification' and organization. It would be nice to make a dramatic impression on the educational TV folks when they come back as well as the Soil Conservation folks when they come Wednesday.

There's plenty of paper work happening here as well. Much of it is over my head computer wise but I have an idea that will change very soon. Paper work has never been a pleasure for me and I tend to put it off. I have to get over that for certain. I feel like I'm in that scene where the plane is trying to get off the ground just as it goes over a cliff. Everyone on board is hoping the pilot will be able to pull up before it hits the ground LOL

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
Catbird (01-01-2017), Feather (01-01-2017), Hollyberry (01-01-2017), RottieMom (01-02-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 02:01 AM   #2
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Tomorrow is the big day. We've been focused on beautification and tweaking projects so they look convincing. There is no doubt we're serious. Now to convince the conservation folks. I'm really excited about the possibilities.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
Feather (01-04-2017), flourbug (01-04-2017), spinnerholic (01-05-2017), Thymeless (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 02:19 AM   #3
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,348 Posts
Fingers AND toes crossed for you!!

(Let us know ASAP as it's hard to type with crossed toes )

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
blue gecko (01-04-2017), Feather (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

I was talking to the feedstore owners yesterday and one of them who is working on a similar project (thinned forest pasture) was given a grant of 70k.

I swear I would faint if we got anything like that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
Feather (01-04-2017), Thymeless (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,348 Posts
Digits still crossed. I do so hope that things go well today!!

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Man, what you could do with even half that amount!
Old 01-05-2017, 12:51 AM   #7
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Today went well! It's not likely that we'll get big bucks but there's a good chance we'll get something. It's a pay and get reimbursed program. Won't know until the N has been submitted and accepted. More about this later when I'm not typing on my phone ��

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
CanadaSue (01-05-2017), Catbird (01-05-2017), Feather (01-05-2017), Mousehound (01-05-2017), spinnerholic (01-05-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #8
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

It's been a little crazy around here. Between the weather and things that I'm suppose to be doing I've been meeting myself coming and going. Last weekend the opportunity came up to have some help processing a lamb so Sunday morning bright and early we started. One of the folks is Navajo and he pretty much ran the show. It was a great opportunity to participate in age old tradition complete with some rather unusual for most but delicious dishes prepared along the way. NOTHING was wasted. Tomorrow we'll be discussing future classes and beginning the process of tanning the hide.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
Cactus Az (01-18-2017), CanadaSue (01-17-2017), Catbird (01-17-2017), Feather (01-18-2017), Mousehound (01-18-2017), spinnerholic (01-18-2017), Thymeless (01-17-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #9
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Yesterday was Farm Day and there were 6 people here helping out! It was like a whirlwind LOL. Some of the things we accomplished included: Measuring fence line, cleaning the feed shed, choosing a place for a traditional Navajo Sweat Lodge, setting up more gutters in the greenhouse, getting a good start on revamping the canning kitchen and store/craft supply room along with the usual chores. I also made some good contacts with a local food pantry and had a chance to walk a 14 acre farm recently bought by our Navajo friend and meet his family. Everyone is so excited about the future.

Last night I slept like a log LOL.

Been working on sorting through my seeds and getting ready to order. Maybe today I can knock that out and get some seeds started in the greenhouse.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
Catbird (01-26-2017), Feather (01-26-2017), flourbug (01-26-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #10
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

I've moved most of my clients into a Thursday/Friday Schedule and that has helped quite a bit. I'm going to try to make Tuesdays and Thursdays into store days so we can cook up lovely things to put a price tag on LOL.

D has been going at about Cat 5 and the basement looks like Katrina came through. BUT its getting revamped and organized. The Greenhouse is ready for seed. All the trays have been filled and are just waiting for the "Go". Some of that will happen today I'm pretty sure.

V our Navajo friend, is going to help J with her cabin (YAY!!) including her staircase and wiring. That's a huge step! He's a real talent with an incredibly kind heart. He'll be bouncing back and forth from AZ with folks at both places keeping him busy. Found out his wife was on the board of the Pioneer Museum in Phoenix! She too, is a wealth of information.

P is pretty excited about V and his family moving in across the road and has already done some hands on help for them. I'm sure the conversations are lively with much of the current focus on tiny homes and shelters.

D brings a crew of volunteers from time to time and this week we've had 3 extra helpers! Like I said, Katrina has gone through the business LOL.

J works on weekends so right now its just me, Izzy the blind kitty on my lap and Dad who is still sleeping. The house is fairly quiet. Nice. I have a cuppa coffee, there's a nice fire going, the dogs are napping and the chickens are going on about eggs being layed. Pretty peaceful stuff in this world. I'll milk it for all its worth until the flood gates open and my day goes into full steam mode.

Ja the woodsman, called and has LOTS of composting woodchips/sawdust he wants to get rid of. We'll take all of that we can get!!

DB the hay man, got a nice bread pudding last night and today he's bringing a couple of round bales.

The farm associate list has grown and its nice to know that others see the dream and are on board. I'm not sure when this will launch into fruition but it seems to be coming rather quickly. Still have to get the contracts set up but we're close to that. It's going to be an interesting time over the next couple of months!!

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

Dad's up. My day has begun

CanadaSue (01-28-2017), Catbird (01-28-2017), Feather (01-28-2017), flourbug (01-28-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 11:38 PM   #11
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Today was spent looking after a very weak pig...and she's doing better. I also noticed the ewes have bagged up so they were moved into a separate yard for lambing. It's been a long day and this gal is worn out.

Yesterday, V came and a group of us put up and dedicated a sweat lodge. It was enlightening and an honor to be a part of. The crazy gorgeous sunset and moon last night made it all seem surreal and good to be a human being.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
Catbird (01-31-2017), Feather (01-31-2017)

Tags
2017, garden, homestead, january, thread