Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,553 Times in 4,609 Posts
Default Car crashes into Mardi Gras Parade

Gulf Shores Alabama

A car (some described it as a van that was in the parade) crashed into a high school band marching in a Mardi Gras parade in Gulf Shores. Eleven students were taken to a local hospital, three are in critical condition. EMTs were part of the parade so response was quick and may have saved lives.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 8,493 Times in 3,448 Posts
Everyone ages differently. But living in FL most can tell you, that some age well and others age very poorly. Driving is a privilege not a right. After a certain age, there should be a mandatory exam that includes a physical to determine their physical and mental states, vision, behind the wheel and perhaps some sort of restrictions on the license, such as no persons under the age of 18, to be in the car with them.

A tragic start to Mardi Gras Day on the Gulf Coast. A car drove into a crowd of people before the start of the parade in Gulf Shores, Ala. The Gulf Shores High School marching band was in the area of the crash.

According to a city spokesperson, a late model SUV driven by a 73-year-old male from Fairhope struck the Gulf Shores Marching Band at the start of the parade.

12 bandmembers were struck by the SUV and four of the victims are in critical condition.

It is unknown whether alcohol or drugs played a factor, but authorities do not expect criminal intent. The driver and the vehicle are in police custody. Charges could be filed against the driver, but at this time, police have not made that determination.

The victims range in age from 12 to 17. Nine patients were transported to South Baldwin Medical Center in Foley, two were transported to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola and one other victim was transported to Baptist Hospital in northwest Florida. All injuries are trauma related according to emergency officials.

Video of the scene shows multiple ambulances with several patients on stretchers. The extent of the injuries is unknown at this time.

“A teenage band has just started to march down the parade route when they were struck from behind. The vehicle was a part of the parade,” says Grant Brown, a spokesperson for the city of Gulf Shores.

The vehicle was a part of the Gulf Shores Parade and was behind the band in the parade route.

Portions of Highway 59 and surrounding roads are closed at this time.

City officials are on the scene of the crash. The scene in Gulf Shores has turned from carnival revelry to an emergency response.

The Gulf Shores Parade is officially canceled and the parade route is closed at this time.

The FBI did reach out to Gulf Shores officials to help in the investigation. The City turned down the offer because they do not believe the driver had criminal intent.

City officials are asking anyone with cell phone video of the crash to not post the video to social media, but please email to [email protected].

WAVY sister station WKRG News 5 is working to gather more details and will post when there is an update.

http://wavy.com/2017/02/28/car-drive...de-in-alabama/

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
flourbug (02-28-2017), Sonny (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
Aging drivers. Hope everyone recovers.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,054 Posts
Pedal error is a huge problem with the elderly population. Many deaths, many serious injuries (almost never the driver). AARP is correct that seniors self-regulate to some extent by not making left turns, slowing down etc. But, the unexpected situations they cannot plan around (i.e. where they have to react quickly and accurately) are causing all the problems. There must be a way of figuring out in advance whether they remain capable of handling those situations. I think that at some objective age (70?), they should be put on a driving simulator which creates increasingly stressful situations and evaluated (reaction time, correct pedal, etc.). If they don't pass, no license.
NowVoyager (02-28-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,220 Times in 2,046 Posts
No doubt, pedal error. The other thing that elderly men do is not have the car in the correct gear. It's in Drive, but they think it's in Reverse. So when the car doesn't back up, instead of checking, they mash on the accelerator until the car jumps the curb and plows into pedestrians, storefronts, etc. Mom said it happened about once a year in their mobile home community, always an elderly man, never a woman. Maybe women are less aggressive and more likely to check?
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #6
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,475 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
No doubt, pedal error. The other thing that elderly men do is not have the car in the correct gear. It's in Drive, but they think it's in Reverse. So when the car doesn't back up, instead of checking, they mash on the accelerator until the car jumps the curb and plows into pedestrians, storefronts, etc. Mom said it happened about once a year in their mobile home community, always an elderly man, never a woman. Maybe women are less aggressive and more likely to check?
Maybe they are smart enough to not allow old women to drive?

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,652 Times in 2,806 Posts
Don't get me started.

If I was Governor everyone would retake the vision, written and driving test every 4 years at renewal for all classes of vehicle licenses.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (03-01-2017), Sysiphus (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #8
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,553 Times in 4,609 Posts
Old people.

The State would not terminate my father's license. Not after numerous accidents that resulted in death and serious injury. Not even after a letter from his doctor saying he should not drive. DMV said they would keep renewing until a court ordered otherwise.

One day the police called my brother to tell him that my father's car was found abandoned at a red light on a very busy road, blocking traffic. The car was all scraped up. It seems Dad headed out that morning and skidded down a row of cars along his street, damaging half a dozen of them. On the way back home, Dad stopped for the red light, thought he was in a parking space, turned the car off and walked home. My brother took Dad's car away from him and I called his insurer and told them to cancel his insurance.

Dad was not happy. It was just an accident!

I told him we would drive him wherever he wanted to go, and we did. He respected Jason. Jason is a Man and a Good Driver. I was his child. When I drove he would complain that I was going the wrong way, or going too slow, and he'd grab the steering wheel and mash his big foot on top of mine as it was on the gas pedal. After a few wrestling matches for control of the car, I had to banish him to the back seat. He's lucky I didn't tie him to the front bumper like a trophy deer.

I have a pact with my daughter. I can't make it public but if I ever disappear know I was turning into a crazy old person and no one will ever find my body.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
Mousehound (03-02-2017), Sysiphus (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,220 Times in 2,046 Posts
Mom and Dad swore up one side and down the other that they were both safe drivers, their reflexes were just as good as ever, and they could see just fine!!! But Mom was Tboned twice when she turned left in front of oncoming traffic, so either eyes, reflexes, or both of those was at fault. (I'm betting vision -- she was already getting shots for macular degeneration.) She was also having trouble parking, leaving half the car hanging out in the aisle because she was afraid of hitting the car in front of her. Fortunately they went to live in a retirement home in another state shortly after that, and didn't bother trying to get new licenses -- probably because they knew they would fail!

No, no one wants to give up their independence, but I'm all for retesting every cycle after 65 or 70.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (03-01-2017), Sysiphus (03-02-2017)

Tags
car, crashes, gras, mardi, parade