Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Animal House

Animal House A place to see everyone's critters, to ask questions and share knowledge.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,331 Times in 2,674 Posts
Default Picasso finds a home

More pictures at link. http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/03/picass...ending-6486236

Picasso the rescue dog was abandoned because of the way he looks – but he’s finally getting a happy ending.

Picasso and Pablo are brothers who were born to a backyard breeder.

WIN: the ultimate Mother’s Day gift, an overnight stay, cocktails and dinner
But after their birth, Pablo, along with the rest of the litter, were sold off to different families – and Picasso was left behind.

Picasso was different to the rest of his siblings. He was born with a facial abnormality that means his jaw twists sharply to the right, which makes his nose twist to the side too.

(Picture: Luvable Dog Rescue)
Many of his teeth gouge into the roof of his mouth due to the abnormality, which means it takes more effort to eat than most dogs.

Beside his facial deformation, Picasso is an incredibly healthy dog – and a loving one at that.

But despite his loving nature, the breeders were unable to sell Picasso. And instead of keeping him for themselves, they left him at the Porterville Animal Shelter in California, where dogs are often euthanised.

Sadly, Picasso was added to the euthanasia list. And, not long after, another name was added.

Picasso’s brother, Pablo, had also had his name added, after being dropped off at the shelter by a family who decided they didn’t want him anymore.

While the situation was heartbreaking, it was short-lived, as Luvable Dog Rescue soon visited the shelter and saved both dogs.

Liesl Wilhardt, executive director of the rescue, told The Dodo: ‘I was talking to volunteer Shannon Corbit about the dogs we were receiving and just happened to ask her out of the blue if she had any unusual-looking or special needs dogs.

‘She responded, “Well, as a matter of fact, I do!” and she sent me Picasso’s shelter intake photo. He was curled in a dog bed, and looked very sad. His twisted face was startling, but he had soft and gentle eyes, and for me it was love at first sight!’

Liesl later learned that Pablo was Picasso’s brother, and that he was on the euthanasia list too. She decided she couldn’t leave him either.

‘I could not imagine leaving the brother behind to die, so I checked with Ashley, our Luvable manager, to be sure we had the space for both, and then told Shannon to pull them off the euthanasia list – Luvable would take both boys,’ she said.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
CanadaSue (03-04-2017), Feather (03-04-2017), linttrap (03-04-2017), spinnerholic (03-04-2017), Wojapi (03-04-2017)

Tags
finds, home, picasso