A woman has suffered burns to her face and hands after her headphones caught fire and melted on a flight from Beijing to Melbourne, prompting warnings about battery-operated devices on aeroplanes.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) said a woman was using her personal noise-cancelling headphones on a flight from China to Melbourne on February 19.
While she was sleeping, about two hours into the flight, she heard a loud explosion.
She told the ATSB she then felt burning on her face, before the headphones slipped around her neck.
"I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor," she said in a statement issued by the ATSB.
"They were sparking and had small amounts of fire.
"As I went to stamp my foot on them the flight attendants were already there with a bucket of water to pour on them."
The flight attendants then put the headphones into a bucket at the back of the plane.
The ATSB has not revealed the brand of [Chinese] headphones.
Passengers 'coughing, choking' for rest of flight
The battery and cover melted and stuck to the floor of the plane, the ATSB said, and the smell of melted plastic, burnt electronics and burnt hair filled the cabin for the rest of the flight.
"People were coughing and choking the entire way home," the woman said in the statement.