Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Prep

Flu Prep This room is dedicated only to discussion of medical preparation for flu and the mitigation of the spread or symptoms of influenza. Please use the Prep Room for generic prep discussions (food, water, security, etc.)

Old 05-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
jeanne
only visiting

Default storing water on the cheap?

i want to use old plastic gallon milk bottles to store filtered water in.

how do i sterilize them? they're so flimsy. is cleaning them out really well enough, and how the hell do you clean old milk out of a plastic jug anyway?

thx
jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Susan4
4ster

We never had luck even with the gallon jugs bought with water in them instead of milk. The milk will be impossible to really get out and they'll eventually leak. Two liter bottles are a better bet for doing water storage on the cheap. Also if you have a derailed freight or salvage construction type place to shop at, we lucked into food grade barrels, with spigots for cheap a few years ago. They used to hold red sweet peppers of all things.
Susan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,209 Times in 4,483 Posts
jeanne, I am sure Alan, our forum Prepmeister, will weigh in on this, but I believe it is not advisable to store water in milk bottles. It has something to do with the quality of the plastic. Even the bottled water you purchase at the store will have chemicals leach into the water over time, and from personal experience, they leak. You can, however, store water in plastic soda bottles for up to six months. Many of us store filtered water in mason jars. As we use up the contents of our home canned goods, we clean the jar and fill it with filtered water, then bring it to a boil to seal.
“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,511 Times in 2,752 Posts
I never liked milk jugs either. Leaks and they tend to allow odors and taste to enter.

I prefer the 2 and 3L soda bottles. They are tougher, no leaks and you can use them for SODIS distillation.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
Renegade
Certified Southern Moderator

yea, milk jugs pretty much suck. 2-liter soda bottle, and *some* of the larger juice bottles do ok.

I've come to the conclusion that anything plastic will gas off anyway so timely rotation is the key thing.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,723 Posts
Personally, I like 5 gallon glass carboys. I can get them from the local "water store" that supplies businesses. The deposit is $5 and I can either get them prefilled or empties. You can get the brushes to clean them but I mostly just store water in them. Some of them have been used for wine and vinegar making as well.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,352 Times in 396 Posts
You are so right to be concerned about storing water in those flimsy milk jugs. I guess a lot of us learned that lesson the hard way. LOL Plus, it seemed that we never could get the jugs clean enough that we felt good about it. The milk leaves a film and even when the bottle looks squeaky clean, it will still make the water have a slight milky taste after only a couple of days.

We've been using the 2 L soda bottles, with 4 drops of clorox. Write the date right on the bottle with a Sharpie and change the water out every six months, reusing the bottles. Write the new date on them and you're set to go another six months.

Save your milk jugs tho. They are great as frost protection for the garden in spring and fall. If you don't have a garden, give them to a friend who does. They will love you!

Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 6,552 Times in 2,841 Posts
1,2, or 3 liter soda bottles, juice bottles, or just about any food grade PETE plastic (number 01 in the little recycling triangle) are good for water storage. I would not use any container made out of HDPE plastic (#02 in the triangle), especially not milk jugs. The reason for this is that milk containers are very hard to sterilize using any method that won't damage the plastic itself. Worse still the thin plastic they are made of is notorious for spontaneously leaking. Even the jugs that ordinary water is sold in are bad for this. I found out the hard way years ago when I had a couple of 2.5 gallon jugs spontaneously empty themselves in my water storage. PETE bottles that are food grade (as in originally was sold with food in it) will be good for this app.

.....Alan.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
jeanne
only visiting

well, grrr.

we don't drink soda. we do use a lot of canning jars, but a quart at a time, argh.

guess digging a well would be harder...

thanks for all the tips.
jeanne
Old 05-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
jeanne
only visiting

okay, how about this idea?

used cat litter containers. 2.5 gallons. it's food grade plastic, i get the unscented clumping stuff, and i've been using the old containers in the garden for awhile now. they won't leak.

sterilize with bleach? what do you say?

Tags
cheap, storing, water