Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Prep

Flu Prep This room is dedicated only to discussion of medical preparation for flu and the mitigation of the spread or symptoms of influenza. Please use the Prep Room for generic prep discussions (food, water, security, etc.)

Old 05-01-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Old Hawk
Elderest

Default Curcumin with Bioperine

I found a source for curcumin with bioprene for Cytokine storm suppression that looks too good to be true but I ordered some anyway.

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Suppleme...Bioperine.html

Somebody tell me I didn't mess up.

OH
Old 05-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Susan4
4ster

Ya done good OH, better than my source.

http://www.puritan.com/curcumin-521/...operine-078897
Susan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
free ranger
Perception is reality

Heh - I just ordered two bottles of this:

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Turmeric...with-Bioperine
Old 05-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Susan4
4ster

Whoa, better yet on potentcy!! I've been skunked altogether Ok you shoppers find me the cheapest on my fave anti-viral gel cap combo:

New Chapter Sinus and Respiratory

Last edited by Susan4; 05-01-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spell demon
Old 05-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
free ranger
Perception is reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan4 View Post
Whoa, better yet on potentcy!! I've been skunked altogether Ok you shoppers find me the cheapest on my fave anti-viral gel cap combo:

New Chapter Sinus and Repiratory
Hey Susan - my fav vit online shop has this:

http://www.vitacost.com/New-Chapter-...us-Respiratory

Looks like an excellent combo!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Susan4
4ster

Oh, nice price too! Thanks! For those interested the ingredients are:

Garlic (bulb) 10 mg supercritical extract (min. 1.6% stable sulphur - nutrients from allicin – 0.16mg) and 30 mg hydroethanolic extract (min. 0.8% cysteine compounds – 0.24mg) 40 Milligrams *
Oil of Oregano (leaf) supercritical extract (min. 3% carvacrol – 0.9mg) 30 Milligrams *
Echinacea (15mg leaf and flower)[Echinacea purpurea], min. 3% polyphenols - 0.45mg and 15mg root [Echinacea angustifolia], min. 1.6% echinacoside - 0.24mg 30 Milligrams *
Elderberry (berry)(min. 24% anthocyanins - 7.2mg) 30 Milligrams *
GoldenSeal (root)(min. 4% berberine - 1.2mg) 30 Milligrams *
Andrographis (leaf)(andrographis paniculata) (min. 8% andrographolides - 2.4mg) 30 Milligrams *
Green Tea (leaf)(min. 40% polyphenols - 12mg) 30 Milligrams *
Astragalus, (root)(min. 0.6% isoflavones - 0.18mg) 30 Milligrams *
Melissa (leaf)(supercritical extract)(min. 0.8% essential oil - 0.24mg)(including neral and geranial) 30 Milligrams *
Myrrh (gum resin)(6mg, supercritical extract)(Commiphora abyssinica)(min. 25% sequiterpenes-1.5mg) and 24mg hydroethanolic extract (Commiphora molmol) 30 Milligrams *
Wintergreen Extract Salicylic acid derivatives 15 Milligrams *
Ginger (rhizome), 2mg, supercritical extract (min. 30% pungent compounds - 0.6mg and min. 8% zingiberene 0.16mg), and 8mg, hydroethanolic extract (3% pungent compounds - 0.24mg) 10 Milligrams *
Eucalyptus Oil 8 Milligrams *
Peppermint (leaf) supercritical extract (min. 26% menthol - 1.8mg) 8 Milligrams *
Meadowsweet Extract (Salicylic acid derivatives) 8 Milligrams *
Purple Willow Extract (Salix purpurea), Salicylic acid derivatives
Old 05-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
Old Hawk
Elderest

I just had to find an online vitamin shop for the first time and I got a dandy!

luckyvitamin.com

I found everything I was getting locally and will save some even with shipping!

OH
Old 05-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
Old Hawk
Elderest

The serving size on the one I ordered is one capsule so it might still be best for price and potency.

OH
Old 05-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Thanked 2,846 Times in 1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawk View Post
I found a source for curcumin with bioprene for Cytokine storm suppression that looks too good to be true but I ordered some anyway.

OH

LEF is a very good product. You didn't mess up!

Be careful with curcumin if you have gallbladder problems. I was taking it for a few months for breast cancer, and developed gallbladder spasms occasionally for a couple months.
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
Old Hawk
Elderest

And, they already shipped!

OH
Old 05-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
Hannah
Member Level 1

If it turns out that this swine flu does cause a cytokine storm, how much curcumin with bioperine are you planning to take as a preventative, and how much would you take if you became infected? The LEF Super Curcumin with Bioperine has 800 mg of curcumin and 5 mg of bioperine, and the company says that you should not exceed 15 mg of bioperine per day. Three capsules would give you 2400 mg of curcumin and 15 mg of bioperine. Would you take more than the recommended limit?
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
Susan4
4ster

That's a great question Hannah, I'm not certain on dosage... It makes sense to me to do to the daily advised limit on biopiperine though. If we're winging it at home trying to calm down an immune system in a sick person then it might boil down to what can we get down them that will stay down them and do some good? Or do the *most* good to stop the cytokine storm. Prednisone? Benadryl? This supplement? If it comes down to only few things might not get thrown back up, what are ya gonna push?
Old 05-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
Old Hawk
Elderest

In the throes of cytokine storm that will be a minute by minute decision. If we are treating it at home it will be because we have no access to professional medicine.

With all due disclaimers about advice, could someone here
describe the appearance of this condition?

And as to keeping the medicine down, could an herbal (perhaps ginger?) be used?

OH
Old 05-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
Teestorm

ok I have curcurmin ... but what have I missed ?? What is bioperene ???

Tee
Teestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
Old Hawk
Elderest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teestorm View Post
ok I have curcurmin ... but what have I missed ?? What is bioperene ???

Tee
Bioperine increases the effects of the curcuimin many times.

OH
Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #16
Teestorm

Quote:
Bioperine increases the effects of the curcuimin many times.

[]

OH
Ok so if Im already taking curcurmin for basic inflammation this would be a really good thing with or without flu ???

Tee
Teestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #17
Susan4
4ster

Yep. It's a black pepper extract that increases the absorption of the curcumin in the tumeric.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #18
drummagick

Quote:

OH

I don't know what the price was when you ordered, but they are on sale now for $7.26/bottle. I just ordered four. For arthritis.

Stuff is on backorder until 6/2.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #19
Old Hawk
Elderest

Yes, excellent price. I ordered for flu prep but am trying some outas an antinflammatory for fibromyalgia. Had tried curcumin before with much result but maybe with the bioperine it will be better.

OH
Old 05-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #20
drummagick

Just got the shipping notice on my curcumin. Life Extensions is speedy!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #21
drummagick

I wass at the doctors today getting blood tests and baseline xrays for RA. I had my bottle of curcumin w/bioperine with me, and when I was picking up a couple prescriptions, I asked the pharmacist about drug interactions with piperine. He had this really wonderful book on herbal medicine, and told me I should not take piperine (Bioperine) within a few hours of taking atenolol (beta blocker).

I just found this post at another forum in a Google search.

Link to herb and drug interactions. http://www.eclecticherb.com/emp/updatesHCDI.html

Piperine food and drug interactions
From: http://www.genesishealth.com/microm...int/ci0031.aspx

Interactions With:

Prescription Medicine:

The following heart or blood pressure medicine:
Acebutolol (Sectral®); Atenolol (Tenormin®); Betaxolol (Kerlone®); Bisoprolol (Zebeta®); Carteolol (Cartrol®); Esmolol (Brevibloc®); Labetalol (Normodyne®, Trandate®); Metoprolol (Lopressor®, Toprol XL®); Nadolol (Corgard®); Penbutolol (Levatol®); Pindolol (Visken®); Propranolol (Inderal®); Sotalol (Betapace®); Timolol (Betimol®, Blocadren®

Harmful Effect:
•Taking PIPERINE and these heart or blood pressure medicines together may increase the chance of side effects including feeling tired, chest pain, limb swelling, insomnia (difficult to sleep), depression, constipation, upset stomach, irregular heart beats, and skipped heart beats.

•This interaction has been reported when PIPERINE and PROPRANOLOL were taken together and might also occur with other drugs in this class listed above.

Proof:
•This interaction has been reported in people (1).

What To Do:
•Talk to your doctor before taking PIPERINE and the above heart or blood pressure medicine together. Taking PIPERINE and these medicines together may be harmful. If you are already taking PIPERINE and one of the above heart or blood pressure medicines together and are feeling tired, have chest pain, limb swelling, trouble sleeping, depression, constipation, upset stomach, irregular heart beats, or skipped heart beats, call your doctor right away.

The following medicines for seizures:
Ethotoin (Peganone®); Fosphenytoin (Cerebyx®); Mephenytoin (Mesantoin®); Phenytoin (Dilantin®, Diphenylan Sodium®)

Harmful Effect:
•Taking PIPERINE and seizure medicines together may increase the chance of side effects including dizziness, itchiness, low blood pressure, and increased heat rate.

•This interaction has been reported when PIPERINE and PHENYTOIN were taken together and might also occur with other drugs in this class listed above.

Proof:
•This interaction has been reported in people (2).

What To Do:
•Talk to your doctor before taking PIPERINE and seizure medicines together. Taking PIPERINE and seizure medicines together may be harmful. If you are already taking PIPERINE and seizure medicines together and have dizziness, itchiness, low blood pressure, or increased heat rate, call your doctor right away.

The following medicines used for sleep, headache, seizures, or muscle relaxants:
Amobarbital (Amytal®); Aprobarbital (Alurate®); Butabarbital (Butalan®); Butalbital (Amaphen®, Esgic®, Fioricet®, Fiorinal®, Fiortal®, Phrenilin®, Sedapap®); Mephobarbital (Mebaral®); Methohexital (Brevital® Sodium); Pentobarbital (Nembutal®); Phenobarbital (Barbita®, Luminal®); Secobarbital (Seconal®); Thiopental (Pentothal® Sodium)

Harmful Effect:
•Taking PIPERINE and medicines used for sleep, headache, seizures, or muscle relaxants together may increase the chance of side effects including dizziness, lightheadedness, feeling tired, upset stomach, throwing-up, and constipation.

•This interaction has been reported when PIPERINE and PHENOBARBITAL were taken together and might also occur with other drugs in this class listed above.

Proof:
•This interaction has been reported in animals but how it affects people is not clear (3).

What To Do:

•Talk to your doctor before taking PIPERINE and medicines used for sleep, headache, seizures, or muscle relaxants together. Taking PIPERINE and these medicines together may be harmful. If you are already taking PIPERINE and any of the medicines listed above together and have dizziness, lightheadedness, tiredness, upset stomach, throwing-up or constipation, call your doctor right away.

The following asthma medicines:
Theophylline (Aerolate®, Bronkodyl®, Slo-Phyllin®, Slo-Bid(TM), Theobid®, Theochron®, Theo-Dur®, Theolair(TM), Uni-Dur®, Uniphyl®)

Harmful Effect:
•Taking PIPERINE and THEOPHYLLINE together may increase the chance of side effects including, increased heart rate, nervousness, upset stomach, and throwing up.

•This interaction has been reported when PIPERINE and THEOPHYLLINE were taken together and might also occur with other drugs in this class listed above.

Proof:
•This interaction has been reported in people (1).

What To Do:
•Talk to your doctor before taking PIPERINE and THEOPHYLLINE together. Taking PIPERINE and THEOPHYLLINE together may be harmful. If you are already taking PIPERINE and THEOPHYLLINE together and have an increased heart rate, nervousness, upset stomach, or are throwing up, call your doctor right away.

The following narcotic pain killers:
Morphine (Astramorph®, Duramorph®, Infumorph®, Kadian®, MS Contin®, MSIR®, OMS®, Oramorph SR®, RMS®, Roxanol®)

Harmful Effect:
•Taking PIPERINE and narcotic pain killers together may increase the chance of side effects including difficulty breathing, low blood pressure, constipation, dizziness, muscle weakness, confusion, trembling, problems with vision, upset stomach, and throwing up.

Proof:
•This interaction has not been studied and is not proven. But it is possible that this interaction can occur based upon the information available about herbs and drugs (3).

What To Do:
•Talk to your doctor before taking PIPERINE and narcotic pain killers together. Taking PIPERINE and narcotic pain killers together may be harmful. If you are already taking PIPERINE and narcotic pain killers together and have difficulty breathing, low blood pressure, constipation, dizziness, muscle weakness, confusion, trembling, problems with vision, upset stomach, or are throwing up, call your doctor right away.

Nonprescription (Over-The-Counter) Medicine:
At the time this document was written, no interactions between PIPERINE and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicine were found.

Dietary Supplements:
At the time this document was written, no interactions between PIPERINE and dietary supplements were found.

Food:
At the time this document was written, no interactions between PIPERINE and food were found.

Alcohol:
At the time this document was written, no interactions between PIPERINE and alcohol were found.

Tobacco:
At the time this document was written, no interactions between PIPERINE and tobacco were found.

References:
1. Bano G, Amla JV, Raina RK et al: The effect of piperine on pharmacokinetics of phenytoin in healthy volunteers. Planta Med 1987; 53(6):568-569.

2. Bano G, Raina RK, Zutschi U et al: Effect of piperine on bioavailability and pharmacokinetics of propranolol and theophylline in healthy volunteers. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1991; 41(6):615-617.

3. Atal CK, Dubey R & Singh J: Biochemical basis of enhanced drug bioavailability by piperine: evidence that piperine is a potent inhibitor of drug metabolism. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1985; 232(1):258-262.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #22
rsheese

I have been reading the discussion of curcumin absorption. People are using oil, fats, and bioperine in an attempt to prevent gastric juices from breaking down the curcumin before it gets to the intestine.

Why not use an enteric coated curcumin capsule?

I used a enteric coated fish oil capsule, cut one end partially off, dreained the oil, and inserted the curcumin capsule - an enteric coated curcumin capsule. I droped the enteric coated capsule in coke and it dissolved in 3 hours, versus 35 minutes for the regular capsule.

Is there anything wrong about this logic?
rsheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #23
Ought Six
Lifetime Level 3

Arrow

dm:

That drug interaction page is great! Thanks for posting it.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #24
Susan4
4ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsheese View Post
I have been reading the discussion of curcumin absorption. People are using oil, fats, and bioperine in an attempt to prevent gastric juices from breaking down the curcumin before it gets to the intestine.

Why not use an enteric coated curcumin capsule?

I used a enteric coated fish oil capsule, cut one end partially off, dreained the oil, and inserted the curcumin capsule - an enteric coated curcumin capsule. I droped the enteric coated capsule in coke and it dissolved in 3 hours, versus 35 minutes for the regular capsule.

Is there anything wrong about this logic?

Sounds sensible to me. I haven't researched the specific action of the biopiperine though...

Welcome to TBM rsheese
Old 06-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #25
drummagick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
dm:

That drug interaction page is great! Thanks for posting it.
You're welcome. When I was looking up interactions with piperine, I found it at a flu forum. It was posted by Shannon.

I miss her input about herbals.

Tags
bioperine, curcumin