Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Prep

Flu Prep This room is dedicated only to discussion of medical preparation for flu and the mitigation of the spread or symptoms of influenza. Please use the Prep Room for generic prep discussions (food, water, security, etc.)

Old 10-13-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
ilovedogs

Default Helpful tips for antibiotics

I know many here have had the flu and have been prescribed antibiotics for secondary infections. These antibiotics can add to your misery by wreaking havoc in your gut.

A few months ago I was stung by a stingray while on vacation in FL. The most painful experience of my life. Honestly, it's a toss up between the sting ray sting or giving birth. I still can't decide which was worse, LOL! When they wanted to put me on antibiotics I revolted b/c I knew it would make a mess of my IBS/gastro issues and I knew how much stomach pain I'd be in. So, I was put on a 10 day course of 500 mg of cephalexin which DID NOT work. I developed cellulitis and a deep bacterial infection. I could barely walk as the sting ray got me on the outside of my right foot and it penetrated about 1 inch into the foot itself damaging tendons and bone.

Then, my doctor here in AZ put me on 875mg of augmentin twice a day. I researched the heck out of this drug and found out about some nasty side effects. I was very careful in handling my gastro system and put myself on a strict diet. I basically did the modified BRAT diet(bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast), yogurt, kombucha, and kefir. I stuck with sourdough bread only since it's gentler on the stomach due to the souring process. I ate baked potatoes without all the stuff on it(even butter would give me cramps). I drank ginger ale and took a ginger supplement and I took activated charcoal when my stomach would start gurgling. The drugs actually acted as an appetite suppressant and I lost 8 pounds that month but I was pleased with the fact that I didn't get 1 bout of the runs!!! NOT ONE! That was a miracle and that was my worst fear when taking antibiotics.

Oh, and to finish the story: my wound did eventually heal but it was a long process. I still have phantom pains and have pain when I move my foot in a certain direction. I treated the wound with a honey compress to encourage the skin to heal and to draw out the bacteria and I soaked the foot in hot water about 3-4 times a day to help draw the antibiotic down to the foot by increasing blood flow to the area. All in all, I'm really glad it turned out well b/c some folks have gotten some nasty infections from stingrays including major skin grafts and surgeries. Apparently, there are all kinds of nasties hiding in the Gulf of Mexico...who knew???LOL!

I really hope this helps someone who suffers from negative side effects from an antibiotic.
B
ilovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,230 Times in 2,052 Posts
A useful post, ild. Thanks!
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antibiotics, helpful, tips