Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Preparedness

Preparedness Join us to discuss all aspects of preparedness.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

Thanked 1,726 Times in 809 Posts
Default New BOB. Sandpiper 3-Day Pack

Took a trip to the exchange on Tuesday, and as I usually do, I gave the assortment of Camelbacks and Patrol Packs the once-over. I had no intention of purchasing a thing until my eyes fell upon a really nice looking 3-Day Patrol Pack from Sandpiper Of California (S.O.C.). The pack is in coyote brown, has MOLLE straps, padded straps, a sternum and waist strap, and is capable of taking a hydration bladder (I purchased a new 100 oz. bladder to put in it) and comes with a very nice Marine Corps emblem embroidered on the front.

Currently, I am fleshing out the gear I want in the pack, but it already contains two MRE's and a full bladder, a pair of bino's, first aid kit, CPR mask, and a "Boy Scout" type pocket knife.

"When the enemy is in range, so are you!" - Murphy
كافر & Proud
Glockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Hamilton Felix
Part Time Good Guy

Hmm, for some reason the images are only little red X's for me. Maybe it's the PC I'm using at work. I'll have to check it out.

A bag that impressed me, and strangely seems to be still out there but NOT at the manufacturer's site, is the 5.11 Tactical Two Day Tac Bag.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEwQ8wIwAg#

I found it online, apparently sold by at least two stores. I got one a few years ago; I seem to recall it was some sort of promo deal, from a salesperson/friend who used to sell me stuff for the VFD and the 5.11 pants I like. Used as luggage, it holds much more than two days of gear. I like its ordinary black nylon "briefcase" appearance when not heavily loaded. But it's a backpack or a shoulder bag of you want it.

Hmm again.... looking around more, I'm seeing some "out of stock" and "no longer available." I wonder if 5.11 stopped making it in favor of more lucrative products, but some retailers are still selling off old stock..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TacBag.jpg (18.2 KB, 8 views)
America has ten times too many police, a hundred times too many citizens unwilling to take responsibility for their own defense and the consequences of their own actions, a thousand times too many politicians who wrongly believe they have the right to tell others how to live their lives, and a million times too many illegal aliens.
Hamilton Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,449 Times in 657 Posts
Cool.

I ordered a Camelbak HAWG a couple days ago for my day hikes. It has a 100 oz bladder and hopefully I can fit my other 100 ouncer in there as 100 ounces will only last me 2-3 hours in the summer.

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

I have more bladders, and another "day" pack from Blackhawk, with a 100 oz bladder. I may install a 2nd bladder in this pack. The pack itself has 2700 Cubic Inches of cargo room, so a second bladder should be no trouble. Best of all, the pack is 100% Made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty.

كافر & Proud
Old 02-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,723 Posts
Default Bug Out Bag/Emergency Supplies Bag

It's a good idea to think about this kind of thing before you have an emergency. I have 2 that I keep stocked. One is a "day pack" that I can take either when we are hiking or to be thrown in the car when we travel. The other is more of a necessities pack that compliments the first bag. It can tide us over for 2 or 3 days or more if necessary.

When the kids were at home they each had a "Go Bag". Something that if we had to leave quickly would make things more comfortable for them. With the kind of weather we have here and the possibility of things like earthquakes it just makes sense to be prepared.

I'm going to merge Glock's thread about his BOB with this one and sticky it so this discussion will be readily available.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

I can pretty much stomach anything, hence I do not have a problem eating MRE's for days on end. However, my wife is another story. Unfortunately, food that she finds palatable are not exactly BOB friendly, at least not in their current packaging. MRE's are light, cans of tuna, soup, stew, etc are not. I would like to find food packaged similar to an MRE, but with a more pleasing taste. I would like something that does not require a lot (or any) water for prep. This may be a tall order, but if anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

I would love it if Campbells put their soups in packages like an MRE Entree is packed in. I have a ton of MRE Heaters, and a meal of hot soup, some crackers, and a little peanut butter (all in a meal pack) would be awesome.

كافر & Proud
Old 02-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
D. Gale
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,703 Times in 712 Posts
Glock, it takes some prep work, but have you considering making your own dehydrated meal packs? Lightweight, you control what's in them, and you can test and tweak them to fit personal preferences. You would need water and a heat source, but if you played around with it, I bet you could even figure out a way to use MRE heaters.

http://www.backpackingchef.com/

http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/01/..._with_all.html

http://dehydrated-food.blogspot.com/
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

My wife, who for 20 something years has put up with, and indulged her slightly off center husband told me the other day, as I was informing her that I would build her a BOB, that if we had to evac Phx, we were in deep shit. After 20 something years, I took that to mean that she could not foresee ever being forced to evac for several days, let alone a single, and therefore in her world it would not happen. The 2nd major natural gas explosion in less than 5 months in this country has caused a major re-think on her part.

We don't have gas. But my folks do two blocks away.

كافر & Proud
Old 02-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
Hamilton Felix
Part Time Good Guy

No dedicated modern backpacker would ever say MRE's are light. But since I don't own stock in Mountain House or Alpine Aire dehydrated foods, I will say MRE's are just fine for something that can stay in the car for a couple of years and still be just fine when needed. They may not be light, they may make a lot of garbage, but they are complete.

Milsurp MRE's are vanishing, and new commercial equivalents don't come with heaters. I'm glad I bought that box with two gross of heaters when I saw them at a show a few years back.

Perhaps I should develop more interest in dehydrated foods. I live in the great Pacific NorthWET, where it's never hard to find water. If I was in a desert, that MRE with all its moisture included would really look good.

If a person is really hungry, they won't fuss about MRE's or any other ration.

I'm no cook, but I've always thought it an interesting challenge to find a homemade "food bar" recipe that tastes good AND is sufficiently durable to go into a BOB. The really great tasting stuff usually is crumbly and falls apart.
America has ten times too many police, a hundred times too many citizens unwilling to take responsibility for their own defense and the consequences of their own actions, a thousand times too many politicians who wrongly believe they have the right to tell others how to live their lives, and a million times too many illegal aliens.
Hamilton Felix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3day, bag, bag or emergency, bob, bug, pack, sandpiper, supplies