Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Crafts > Other Crafts

Other Crafts A place to share your creative side: artwork, photos, crafts, or whatever tickles your fancy!

Old 01-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
Arianwen

Talking Make your own stitch markers

They're ugly, but I made 'em last night. I am still learning!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,248 Times in 4,503 Posts
Cute!

My youngest DD likes to make jewelry. She uses semi precious stone beads, swarovski crystals, and makes her own lampworked beads, and uses pure silver findings. She goes to a few local stores and also gets a lot of her supplies here: http://www.firemountaingems.com/ Order their catalog and let the drooling begin.

btw, did you know you can add beads to your knitted items?
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
D. Gale
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,703 Times in 712 Posts
Ari, make sure you have some kind of swatch you're testing those on. You don't want any little rough edges or wires that can catch on the yarn and cause problems. Also, be sure they're not too heavy -- the first batch I made were really pretty, but they were way too heavy to actually use! Try some with just one or two beads instead of 4 or 5.

It's fun making your own, isn't it?
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D. Gale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Arianwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
Cute!

My youngest DD likes to make jewelry. She uses semi precious stone beads, swarovski crystals, and makes her own lampworked beads, and uses pure silver findings. She goes to a few local stores and also gets a lot of her supplies here: http://www.firemountaingems.com/ Order their catalog and let the drooling begin.

btw, did you know you can add beads to your knitted items?
I've seen that done, yes.

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Gale View Post
Ari, make sure you have some kind of swatch you're testing those on. You don't want any little rough edges or wires that can catch on the yarn and cause problems. Also, be sure they're not too heavy -- the first batch I made were really pretty, but they were way too heavy to actually use! Try some with just one or two beads instead of 4 or 5.

It's fun making your own, isn't it?
I was trying REALLY hard to make them as smooth as possible. The rubbery cord is not going to snag and even though it says "easy knot" I don't trust the knots on them!

Tags
make, markers, stitch