Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Outdoors

Outdoors Hobby or work, if you do it outside, this is the place to talk about it.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,508 Times in 2,751 Posts
Default Shrinking of child's habitat

From the UK but it is also happening in the US.

I remember riding miles on my bike during the 1970's. I remember leaving home in the morning in the summer and sometimes making it back after dark.

No cell phones then.

Now, I don't even see children in the cul-de-sac without parents.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1ywZBP0EF

http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/571...childhoods-end

571 - The Great Indoors, or Childhood's End?
Frank Jacobs on June 26, 2012, 7:47 PM

Not too many decades ago, being a child in the western world meant having a license to roam: you spent a large chunk of your free time outside, exploring your surroundings, chasing adventure. This is the Huckleberry Finn mould of carefree childhood - even if you weren’t floating down the Mississippi on a raft, you could easily imagine that you were.

That mould has definitely been broken. A British study called One False Move, investigating the mobility of children, found that the average eight-year-old saw its ‘home habitat’ shrink to one-ninth of its size within a single generation. In 1970, 80% of British kids 7 or 8 years of age were allowed to go to school unsupervised; by 1990, this figure had dropped below 10%.

The result of this gradual shrinkage of children’s habitat, is the effective end of the outdoor childhood. This evolution, by and large underreported, is put in stark perspective by this map. Zooming in on parts of Sheffield, in the north of England, it pictures the differences in size of the stomping grounds of four generations of the Thomas family - each snapped at eight years of age:

In 1919, George, the great-grandfather of the family, was allowed to walk six mile by himself to go fishing at Rother Valley.
In 1950, Jack, the grandfather, was allowed to walk one mile by himself to go play in the woods nearby. Like his father, he walked to school.
In 1979, Vicky, the mother, could walk by herself to the swimming pool, half a mile away.
In 2007, Ed, the son, was only able to walk to the end of the street on his own - a mere 300 yards. He was driven to school, and even to a place where he could ride his bike safely.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,033 Posts
When I was 5,6 & 7 I walked quite a distance not only to and from school but home for lunch as well. I walked in good weather and bad. I did not have a watch but was expected to walk at a certain pace and arrive at my destination quickly. Outside play was only allowed in the fenced in backyard. When I got older than 7 I was allowed to ride my bike about 300 feet of either side of the driveway and only if a parent was able to be in the front yard supervising. There was a person or persons kidnapping and killing kids in my county which left parents terrified. Some backyard play was allowed but it wasn't encouraged because the newly laid sod wasn't established enough.

I let my DS roam but he told me if he was leaving the yard or our street and he called when he arrived and before he left if he was farther than 2 blocks away and alone.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
lisa
Senior Level 1

Thanked 1,340 Times in 512 Posts
As far back as I can remember I went anywhere I wanted...Mom said she tied bells to my shoes as a toddler as I kept wandering off. Apparently I've never outgrown that and have managed to live in 3 countries and 8 different states in the U. S. in my lifetime. My children on the other hand were kept on a MUCH shorter leash..I always knew where they were...the world isn't the same as when I was a kid.
lisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,596 Times in 1,472 Posts
We had a bell mounted right outside the backdoor and when Mom wanted me home she rang the bell. I used in for my two until the weather got to it and it fell apart.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
I was allowed to roam pretty much at will as a child. In the arctic, it was hard to get lost & I was really young. I found plenty to intrigue me within a mile or so of home. Moving south, the townhouse community we lived in was cut by a creek & 'ravine'... hours of fascinating play right there.

I don't think I really limited the boys very much but I don't honestly remember.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
Feather

When we lived in our apartment the boys could go to the park down the hill or to their friends down stairs. When we moved here they were a bit more corraled because of the apartments down the street. The people coming out of there drive way to fast and it just wasn't safe.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
lilly

I did as I chose when I was a kid, no restrictions except get home to change into clean clothes for supper.

We walked, and ranged pretty far without much to stop us from doing whatever we chose to do.

Ditto with my boys. We lived on a vast estate, thousands of acres, and they roamed however they chose for their adventures.

See heliocopter parents all around, with kids kept close. I did my own searching for things to do, and found a lot. Got my own scholerships, and rounded up my amusements with no help from any adults.

I think it was a good thing to be so independent.

I still am.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,186 Times in 4,473 Posts
I was told to "Go play outside. It's good for you."

I had to be home before dark.

In between, I explored the woods, and neighborhoods, and checked out every abandoned building in a circle as far as my bike would carry me - and dreamed of the day I would have a car and could go further. I knew every kid, dog and cat within 10 miles - and anything that looked homeless came back to my house with me. I knew where the blueberry bushes, wild cherry trees, pear and apple trees were located. I waded through flood waters. I walked on railroad tracks and climbed tall trees and water towers. I did a lot of things that would likely get me arrested now - like, riding horses that were just standing around doing nothing out in pastures, and taking a sofa with wheels on it that someone left at the curb and pushing it to the top of the hill and piling onto it with a bunch of friends to enjoy the wild ride down - after we set it on fire. I occasionally ran into trouble in the form of perverts who said, "come here little girl". But that sent me screaming away in one direction while they ran in the other. I came home a few times with serious injuries... a board nailed to my foot, my friend Elaine's teeth embedded in my skull, a few gushing cuts, a compound fracture of my leg, ankle and foot. I was lucky enough to live next to our family doctor. "Uncle Ed" could keep a secret - mostly out of concern for my overburdened mother who did not need her only healthy child adding to her problems. I worked off my doctor bills by filing papers and walking his froo froo poodle dog.

My kids had a smaller world. They explored the woods - but the woods adjoined our house. I bought horses, and built a big pool, and swing sets and monkey bars for our back yard, and stocked the house with a steady supply of snacks - and made it clear I wanted my children and their friends to play at OUR house. They did. Our house was the gathering place for dozens of children. They rode their bikes - to the end of our street, or to the school playground just a block away (and I could see them out my bedroom window). When they were in high school I let them ride their bikes all over so long as they called me to let me know where they were, and of course they could go to any school activity that was chaperoned.

My grandkids don't leave their house without an adult present. It's not safe.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
Fartacus
Go Cubs Go!

Thanked 3,395 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
...after we set it on fire.

The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners.
Fartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
lilly

Pretty much the same kind of childhood as Flourbug. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. We walked, and walked and walked. We biked and biked and biked. No T.V.. we played and played and played. We used our imaginations, ingenuity and resourcefullness and had scabby knees almost always, Plus in the summer sunburn, when we would peal off the skin in sheets. Healthy in one way,.unhealthy in others. We weren't fat, though we ate a lot, because of all the activity we never gained unhealthy weight. We were healthy kids. We did incredably dangerous things without the least fear. Except we kept our distance from perverts,(no one had to tell us anything, we knew), and there were plenty in those days as well as these days.

What happened?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,186 Times in 4,473 Posts
Quote:
We used our imaginations and had scabby knees almost always, and in the summer sunburn, when we would peal off the skin in sheets.
YES! Scabby knees and elbows were a constant, and it was a real art to peel dead skin off a sunburn in large sheets. When anyone in the neighborhood bought a new refrigerator or television set, we laid claim to the cardboard box. With crayons and a steak knife, it became whatever we wanted it to be... and when it was soft from rain and no longer serviceable as a fort or clubhouse, we rolled around the yard, tumbling one over the other inside of it. We didn't have much in the way of toys... checkers, play doh, silly putty... so my father dug down into the ground and gave us a huge hunk of orange clay. We made hundreds of animals, and clay pots, and carved it into islands and put our little pet turtles in their new home along with grasshoppers, ants, and nice crawly worms from the garden.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
Potemkin

It looks like weenie waggers infest all generations.

No problem for me but girls cousins would just point at their penis and laugh. It wasn't the reaction they wanted and fled.

They carried bricks in their purses and everyone else got the purse in the testicles and the other wacked them in the head.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
lilly

There always were and always will be perverts. We ignored them.

Gee, remember boxes, big, clubhouse boxes.

And girls didn't always stick with girls. Boys were O.K. in limited doses. Brothers were great. Boyfriends were careful of us, respectful. At least the ones I came into contact with.

Money? what was that? Presents? Who got presents or things.

You were fed, you were clothed, you had a home, you got a certain amount of feeling that you were special. What else did anyone need? I guess we learned self reliance and self respect.

You earned your own spending money. At least I did.

Maybe that is why I always have something that interests me. I learned early that you are responsible for yourself and your own happiness.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
flourbug (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Oh, I'd forgotten the boxes or rather the ships, airplanes, race cars, etc.

I remember some days I had so much fun that by the time I got out of the tub it was lightly tinged pink from dissolved blood, had a few loose scabs floating & dozens of dead insects that must have come out of my hair.

Skinned knees, scrapes, scratches, black eyes, welts, mud between your toes, black knees & elbows...

THAT is what childhood should be.

Tree forts & rope swings & old bikes, creeks & frogs & biking, swimming, pretending whatever you want to pretend...

We need to get kids back to that kind of imaginative independence.

Last edited by CanadaSue; 07-11-2012 at 12:08 AM.
CanadaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #15
Feather

Quote:
We need to get kids back to that kind of imaginative independence.
My kids did when they visited their dad. He was living in the Ozarks with his second wife and her kids. They lived in the woods near the lake and they went to swim quite often. There were trees to climb and critters to chase. New bugs to watch. It was so funny, one weekend DH and I were there, it was a holiday. A friend got really drunk and swallowed a stick bug, of course it came back up after it tried to crawl out on it's own.

We had a big open field behind our house and the boys loved playing out there. It worked great until the guy next to us started to mow it so that his peewee baseball team could practice there.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
lilly

We played even when we we recovering from the flu or some fever. I remember making life boats out of the quilt and pretending I was lost at sea. Of course we also were creative without any playground counselers. Made jewelry out of melted crayons. Drew, painted, wrote endless novels about pirates etc. Stupid stuff. Coloring books, hopscotch, double dutch, kick the can, walking on stilts, roller skating, sledding on Dead Mans hill, swimming, high diving as a show off, ballet school, ice skating, playing statues, walking around on cans, picking berries, eating sour grass and bread and butter leaves. Cheap movies, 12cents. a quarter got you a movie, a triple ice cream cone to eat while walking the miles home.

We woke up eager to go and that is what we did after breakfast until supper, we went out and explored, fished, talked, experimented. We were healthy, inquisitive and pretty feisty. I wish I had as much get up and go, and was as totaly fearless.

I've gotten a bit cautious in my old age, and this body certainly wouldn't take the abuse we gave it as kids.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #17
Toner
Hero of Canton

Thanked 2,050 Times in 909 Posts

http://blog.makezine.com/2010/01/25/...fifty-dangero/

Adopted internet dad of CanadaSue and Key
Toner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #18
Lars
berserkergang

Default How children lost the right to roam in 4 generations

http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/571...childhoods-end

This is true, in my experience. As a boy, we played ball in the streets after dinner or Hide n Seek in the yards. In the long days of summer, there still were woods to explore. There were trees to climb. We took long bike rides and practiced diving and ogling girls in the community pool a half hour bike ride away.

On weekends, there were camping trips with the boyscouts in some wonderful mountains/forests within 20 miles. Dads, scoutmsters and older scouts watched over us. If there were any perv scoutmasters, I was unaware. School teachers were mostly unglamorous females and (mostly)nerdy guys. None were sexually threatening. It was a Norman Rockwell world; corny, but I cherish it.

Now, younger kids stick around the house. There are too many risks about, ranging from much busier street traffic to murderous pervs who might lurk behind the trusted dress of minister, teacher or scoutmaster. Plus the neighbor looks a bit shifty and we don't know him at all. Finally, the kids themseves are too often seduced by TV, video games, computer games and social media to want to go outside and build a treehouse or a snow fort. Wii becomes the physical activity of choice.

I grow old and querulous.

~Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Lars; 07-19-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #19
Potemkin

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/22/living...iref=obnetwork

Whatever happened to 'go outside and play'?