Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home

Within Our Home Here we talk about keeping our home and everything inside of it - including our cars and computers -clean, well organized, and well maintained. We also have our Classroom here, for those who Homeschool or extend their childrens education in the home.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Thanked 2,906 Times in 1,189 Posts
Default Incandescent Bulb Ban

Some years ago I heard rumors that they were no longer going to be available and I stocked up on 40 and 60 watt bulbs. They're stashed away in storage somewhere. I ran out of 40 watts, which I use for everywhere but ceiling outlets (they get 60 watt bulbs), didn't feel like rummaging through storage and went out looking. I hit 3 stores before I finally found some. So I see this article tonight and immediately went down to Fred Meyer (Kroger) and bought about 2/3 of the 40 watt bulbs they had left. I was surprised to see that they had any, I was in Walmart a couple days ago and they had no regular incandescent bulbs at all. The CFLs are ok if you get some that aren't that soulless bright white but I've never seen any less than the equivilent of 60 watts and I don't like that bright of a light in my table and reading lamps.

http://www.nwcn.com/news/washington/...238154841.html

I might go get some more tomorrow...

...and save them to sell on ebay

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

Yes, indeedy

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...bulbs&_sacat=0
drummagick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,266 Posts
I have changed over to LED bulbs. They now have some pretty good ones out there. They still cost a bit more, but they save a lot of electricity and seem to last forever in our house. They don't require a warm up time either.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
cottage
Member Level 1

I have bookmarked this site but not tried their products yet. They claim to be offering an incandescent bulb that will meet all federal requirements, so it will remain on the market!

I am so sensitive to color and the incandescent is really the only color I feel okay with. Something to do with being a migrainer.

www.newcandescent.com
cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cottage For This Useful Post:
drummagick (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 03:06 AM   #4
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
I love Phillips Daylight CFLs. They last a looong time, and the color is pretty true to daylight, not that cold, white fluorescent look. Any other manufacturer I've tried they die long before their claims.

I will be switching to LEDs, as they're coming down in price. From what I've read, anything manufactured by Crane is good. HD sells them.

DH bought a ribbon of self-adhesive LEDs for under cabinet lighting in the kitchen. Cut to fit. I love them. They give off enough light for the countertop to be used without the overhead lights, and you can use the remote to change colours. Over Christmas I had them red or green at various times.
drummagick (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,636 Times in 2,799 Posts
I am not seeing this desire to keep incandescent bulbs.

OK as a libertarian I resent the government getting into my business buying what is a legal item. OTOH it is a loosing technology.

Why not CFLs? I think the thing about mercury is just some kind of scare tactic by the neo-Luddites. They are taking advantage of our ability to test for smaller and smaller amounts. A small amount is there, but unless you are sucking out a lifetime of CFL guts you aren't going to have a problem with a few broken ones.

They very cheap ones do have poor lighting but there are some very nice spectrum corrected CFLs. Ott Lite is one, but Sylvania and Phillips does also.

The Ott Light is so good I use it during the winter for Seasonal Affective Disorder light (pun).

There are also LEDs. They used to be very expensive or cheap and crappy.

But this fall I noticed that Gree Magnetooptical are now selling LED bulbs under their own brand with 5yr warranty IIRC. They are a large Chinese company which makes LEDs for most of the major brands or licenses their names.

Home Depot had them cheap enough before Thanksgiving and in quantities. It looks like the lines on the price v. ROI graph has intersected.

Run a 5" flood for $US1/yr, payback in 2 years, and a 10yr expected life of a LED bulb? Yea, I am there.

We switched. But, the the price is right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
drummagick (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,311 Times in 1,043 Posts
Pote right now anything but incandescents are a no go in older ceiling light fixtures and ceiling fan globes. I have had to remove the covers and just go with bare cfl bulbs which looks trashy.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
Lv, I've found some CFLs for the bathrooms that are globe-shaped. I also found a very large globe CFL for a fan light fixture. It exceeded the size of the glass globe for the fixture, but is comparable in size to the original glass globe, so it looks fine.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,266 Posts
The newer LEDs are the same size as the old light bulbs. You can get them in clear and frosted. They cost a bit more than the first LEDs that came out, but they have a much better light than the old LEDs. The ones I bought were from OSRAM. I don't know if you have those over there or not.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Dreamweaver
Senior Level 3

Why people still use inefficient incandescent light bulbs

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-leds/4217009/
Old 12-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,311 Times in 1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousehound View Post
The newer LEDs are the same size as the old light bulbs. You can get them in clear and frosted. They cost a bit more than the first LEDs that came out, but they have a much better light than the old LEDs. The ones I bought were from OSRAM. I don't know if you have those over there or not.
The LED's over heat if you use them in a globe type light.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

RB I'll have to look for the large globe type at Home Depot. I haven't seen them in my neighborhood hardware store or at Target.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
drummagick

I'll put CFLs in the ceiling fixtures but I'm taking them out and replacing them with incandescents when I move.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,636 Times in 2,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LvDemWings View Post
The LED's over heat if you use them in a globe type light.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

RB I'll have to look for the large globe type at Home Depot. I haven't seen them in my neighborhood hardware store or at Target.
So do incandescent shut they are cheap enough you can just replace them.

But we, all of us, need to think what we are doing.

We are retrofitting an expensive cfl or led bulb in a fixture made for a more inexpensive incandescent bulb that has been around since the Edison base came out.

After some time new fixtures and lamps will be come about with CFLs and LEDs in mind.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
drummagick

I went back to the store and the 60watts were completely sold out except for 4 boxes of the store brand, which had a coupon buy 1 get 1 free. No limit. I got a lot more lightbulbs today. I think I'm set.

Tags
ban, bulb, incandescent