Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Science Center > Power Station

Power Station A wing of the Science Center dedicated to the discussion of energy issues. This includes both technical and political discussions of current and future conventional and renewable energy issues.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Default Propane Shortage in Parts of Canada

Many use propane as a primary heat source while others use it for backup. With the recent weather havoc, it's been in very short supply in my part of Ontario. There's only one supplier & they're having trouble sourcing what they need & when they get it - delivery is a challenge over icy roads, through whiteouts, in deep freezes...

In Newfoundland, it has to come in by boat & a number of vessels were stuck offshore waiting for seas to abate enough for safe landings.

First - a straight up article about the issue in Newfoundland & BYTW, they hiked the price!

***Propane supplies arrive on island as PUB hikes priceThe cost of propane across Newfoundland and Labrador jumped by more than five cents per litre on Thursday, even as many customers were finding it difficult to find any.

However, relief seemed more likely as five tankers carrying propane from the mainland arrived in Port aux Basques with supplies bound for customers across the island.

The trucks were held up in North Sydney for a couple of days due to high winds that kept Marine Atlantic ferries tied up...***

More at link:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...rice-1.2489789

Then a cute parody of 'Cocaine' titled of course 'Propane'

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/NL/ID/2429390584/
NowVoyager (01-10-2014), Ross (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 5,772 Times in 2,604 Posts
Very interesting .
I was wondering when/if heating source shortages would start to
become manifest .

So are there other shortages ?

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche

Last edited by Ross; 01-10-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Let me finish my souped up chicken soup, then I'll answer.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Burp... I needed that; first thing I could contemplate eating all day.

Okay shortages... no issues at all with food items. Here weekly sales begin Fridays & Wednesday/Thursday - including nights, you can hear the trucks on the major highway a mile up the road. They pay attention to weather & if bad weather is on the way, they'll come early if possible. Our big rig drivers are generally super professional, as they are in any nation & they know how to drive in this weather.

Anything to do with snow/ice removal is running low. Road salt & other ice melting formulations are in short supply at hardware stores. Grocery stores still have some. Sand is hard to find. Shovels; good shovels are in very short supply as are ice choppers. Heavy winter clothes, boots, hats & gloves are also hard to find unless you fit very large or very small sizes.

Firewood & pellets for stoves have shot up in price & in some regions can be hard to find.
Ross (01-11-2014)

Tags
canada, parts, propane, shortage