Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home

Within Our Home Here we talk about keeping our home and everything inside of it - including our cars and computers -clean, well organized, and well maintained. We also have our Classroom here, for those who Homeschool or extend their childrens education in the home.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #1
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,171 Posts
Default Penny bags to repel flies

Has anyone ever heard of this? I just read it in a book yesterday. Take a gallon ziploc, fill it with water, drop in 4 shiny new pennies and hang it up. Supposed to repel flies. I wonder if it works?

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Because if it does, I'm gonna have these things ALL OVER my porch next year.

I HATE flies!
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:01 AM   #2
Ter
Voluntary Exile

Thanked 1,934 Times in 676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummagick View Post

I HATE flies!

And so you should.
Flies carry a number of pathogens on the hairs of their legs and they have pretty unhygienic feeding habits. They have no mouth that can chew so they spew digestive juices on whatever they want to eat and slurp up the dissolved nutrients which could be shit or worse.

That said, I do not immediately see how those pennies could keep away flies. If they do, there must be an explanation.

An effective old system is hanging those sticky fly tapes or the blue ultraviolet light that attracts them to the insect box and electrocutes them. The sound of flies exploding is strangely satisfying.

The system you mentioned reminded me of something strange I saw in a village in Bangladesh. The ubiquitous crows are everywhere and absolutely not afraid of people. But I noticed that the villagers left fruits to dry on the roof of the huts and the crows would not come to steal. They place a small mirror next to the food on the roof and that keeps the crows away, they are afraid of the mirror where they can see themselves. Who'd have thunk that ? I saw it with my own eyes and it works for 100% !
Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ter For This Useful Post:
drummagick (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,511 Times in 2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummagick View Post
Has anyone ever heard of this? I just read it in a book yesterday. Take a gallon ziploc, fill it with water, drop in 4 shiny new pennies and hang it up. Supposed to repel flies. I wonder if it works?

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Because if it does, I'm gonna have these things ALL OVER my porch next year.

I HATE flies!
My guess it produces a small amount of copper sulfate which is somewhat of an insecticide. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper%28II%29_sulfate

I think I would try to use real copper pennies for maximum effect, not the copper clad ones we have these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ter View Post
The system you mentioned reminded me of something strange I saw in a village in Bangladesh. The ubiquitous crows are everywhere and absolutely not afraid of people. But I noticed that the villagers left fruits to dry on the roof of the huts and the crows would not come to steal. They place a small mirror next to the food on the roof and that keeps the crows away, they are afraid of the mirror where they can see themselves. Who'd have thunk that ? I saw it with my own eyes and it works for 100% !
When AOL (America Online) used to distribute large numbers of CDs with its product, it used to be very popular for gardeners to collect them and hand them in the garden.

The CDs would be gently swayed in the wind and the reflective shiny side would startle the birds. (Along with the movement itself.)

No more garden raiding.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,638 Times in 2,104 Posts
Not sure what good it would do to produce any copper species inside the bag.

IF there was anything to it, I would think it might be some sort of visual/light reflecting phenomenon.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,452 Times in 659 Posts
IN the late 90's and so in Dallas I used to see just bags of water hanging (n pennies) around the outside eating sections of several bars and restaurants to supposedly keep the flies away

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/flies.asp

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
D. Gale
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,703 Times in 712 Posts
We saw this in the doorway of our hotel in Albuquerque last fall. They seemed to think it worked. The theory is that it has to do with the reflection/refraction of the water in the bag and how it appears to the fly.
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,601 Times in 1,472 Posts
We have one of those old fly strips in the kitchen. It worked, the flies left the kitchen and moved into the bathroom. Now the last one tried to dive bomb me last night and I smacked at it, it hit the side of my roll top desk and hasn't been seen since. Flies are so annoying.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,171 Posts
The reflection from the water and shiny pennies is supposed to be like a disco ball for flies and confuse them. Or something.
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
CajunSunshine
Joie de vivre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Gale View Post
The theory is that it has to do with the reflection/refraction of the water in the bag and how it appears to the fly.
This is my thinking, too. All I know is that it seems to work. Not 100% but enough to make a huge difference. I never tried the shiny pennies trick, just water inside the plastic bag.

An apartment that I had rented has a dumpster in the parking lot (which faced my door). It drew huge numbers of flies. Every single time I opened my door, the flies would get in. It drove me crazy because of the health implications and the annoyance factors.

After I hung the bags, the number of flies coming into the apartment were drastically reduced.

The ones that did get in were either killed with a fly swatter, or if I couldn't get to them, I sprayed them with a pyrethrin-based insecticide that is approved for food institutions, milk-houses, etc.

Fly Spray (Country Vet brand). Here's a link that will give you more info Amazon

It works with an automatic dispenser. I use mine manually, as needed.

I can get in trouble all by myself...
CajunSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bags, flies, penny, repel