Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Our Leisure Time > Antiques, Junk Hunters and Dumpster Divers

Old 03-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,172 Times in 1,723 Posts
Default Stamp Identifying Sites

We picked up the coolest old suitcase. Its cobalt blue and perfect for carrying music supplies. We were cleaning it up and found a couple of old stamps that must be worth a fortune...Right? Turns out not but we found this great site:

http://www.theswedishtiger.com/ID.html

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

http://values.hobbizine.com/stamps/

http://values.hobbizine.com/stamps/

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
Old 03-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,197 Times in 641 Posts
I have several million stamps in my collection. In the industry, I am called an accumulator. Others would call me a hoarder (stamp wise).

Playing with stamps is like taking a narcotic, or a sleeping pill.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

We've found lots of old stamps while cleaning out Max's house. These sites will make it easier to identify them. Any other sites or collectors inside information would be greatly appreciated Andy!

Old 03-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,197 Times in 641 Posts
When it comes to US Stamps, I have multiple collections:

1) US Mint - This is a Scott Specialized Album that is meant for Mint Stamps that have original gum. This include regular, Air Mail, Postage due, Document, Special Delivery, Charity, and Government stamps. Preference is on "Gem Quality" stamps.

2) US Used - This is a substantial collection of POSTALLY USED(!!!) stamps. This collection is very different from the New collection in that it does not include sheets - but does include used blocks. Preference is given to showing the stamps art and not the post mark. This means the post mark must be obvious - but not interrupt the design. New cancels are not permitted (80 year old stamp with a 2 year old postmark.

3) US Pre-Cancel Collection - These stamps are canceled with city and state designation. There are thousands of these and some are very expensive and rare.

4) US Used Bulls eye cancel - this collection has a perfect cancel perfectly centered on the stamp.

5) Haile Plantation Collection - This is a competition collection. This collection consists of only 3 covers (envelopes). These 3 envelopes ARE AN ENTIRE COLLECTION! The letters were mailed to John Haile of Haile Plantation which is now a billion dollar small town for 1% 'ers. The covers were mailed out of Philadelphia on consecutive days using a private post office call Blood's Penny Post. The US Stamps were Scott #11. The cancels on the US stamps "Tie" the stamp to the paper of the envelope. The cancels of the Blood's Penny Post are acid canceled and tied to the envelope. The stamps were mailed in 1857 to Gainesville of East Florida - a few years before Gainesville became a city.

6) Postal Card/Envelope Collection - This is a collection of Cut Squares that have the printed stamp in the center. This does not have new cards or stationary. That is yet 2 more collections that I have not formalized.

7) Error Collection - This collection is of unusual errors like color shift, missing colors, upside down airplanes (No Jenny's), perforation errors, stamps that are miss-perforated. This collection has not been built yet - but when I do, it will have a regular stamp next to the error for comparison. World-wide, I might have 20 or so "pieces". I say that because a single error in that collection involves a strip of 10 stamps (perforation). (The source of the "Upside Jenny's" was a whole sheet of stamps with the black center inverted.

8) Plate Block Collection - This collection is of mint Plate Blocks with plate block numbers on the "Selvage" (paper bordering the block.

I am planning to add a few more US collections when I retire. One of those is a new "Duck Stamp" collection and a used collection.

A full new collection might run a hundred thousand. A used collection might be about $50,000 or so. The competitive collection is not really supposed to be expensive or rare - it is meant to showcase an aspect of "Philately". My competitive collection - if completed could go for a couple of thousand dollars to a real estate company, doctors office, or attorneys office. The perfect sales display would be a jeweler's. The highest price would be from Haile Plantation.

On top of this is an organized filing system of several hundred thousand US stamps

Keep in mind that this is just the US collections that I have now. The world collections are not this intense as that would not be humanly possible.

One way I collect stamps is to work on a specific country for several months until it is as far as I can get it and move on to another country.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:37 PM   #6
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

I think that sounds incredible!!

"When I retire"??? Bwahahahaha

Tags
identifying, sites, stamp