Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home

Within Our Home Here we talk about keeping our home and everything inside of it - including our cars and computers -clean, well organized, and well maintained. We also have our Classroom here, for those who Homeschool or extend their childrens education in the home.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 6,550 Times in 2,839 Posts
Default We live in time warp homes!

Meet the women who've turned their homes into authentic shrines to their favourite decades
Quote:
Claire Nugent and Nigel Morter restored a 1940s airfield control tower and now run it as a B&B
Emma Edwards runs a vintage website and spent £10,000 converting her home into a 50s haven
48-year-old Ursula Forbush likes to come home and switch on an old record player like in the 60s
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...te-decade.html

Claire Nugent, 43, and Nigel Morter, 47, have been married for
14 years. They restored a 1940s airfield control tower in Norfolk
and now run it as a B&B

I've always liked the '40's look. The fifties and sixties remind me of when I was a boy. My family changed very slowly as regards the way our home interiors looked.
Catbird (04-11-2015), Feather (04-07-2015), NowVoyager (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,591 Times in 1,472 Posts
I guess we live in a time warp also. The only changes in our kitchen since it was built in 1960 is the cupboards have been painted, new countertop and the built in stove/oven are gone. I joke that we have custom cupboards because they were built on site like most from that era. The only change in my bathroom is the tub is gone and there's a walk-in shower, a handicap height toilet and a wide door.

I love the look of retro kitchens and baths. I'm not impressed by the new marble and granite counters and the stainless steel kitchens. They are pretty and some prefer them and that's fine. To each their own. But I like the older looks. I would love to have the cupboards that were in one grandma's kitchen, they were glass front.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
Hamilton Felix
Part Time Good Guy

It's kind of fun to see a turquoise kitchen range, pink toilet, plum purple sink, etc. The 50's definitely had its good points.
America has ten times too many police, a hundred times too many citizens unwilling to take responsibility for their own defense and the consequences of their own actions, a thousand times too many politicians who wrongly believe they have the right to tell others how to live their lives, and a million times too many illegal aliens.
Hamilton Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,591 Times in 1,472 Posts
My house looks like it's from the 1960's, but then it was built in 1960.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:03 PM   #5
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,033 Posts
This house is close to 100 years old. It has most of the original kitchen cabinets, the glass in the uppers and wooden counter tops. Through out the house there are still a few original windows, most rooms are plaster walls, tongue and groove floors, and one push button light switch. I would love to go 50's retro especially in the kitchen. I really like the white enamel and chrome appliances.
Feather (04-11-2015), NowVoyager (04-11-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #6
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 7,982 Times in 3,363 Posts
When we restored of 120 odd year old place up in MN, we had to gut it --- Decades of neglect had taken a toll on the place.

We opted to place the glass when I rebuilt all the double hung windows -- They had the original 'wavy - bubbly' glass in them. Beautiful and authentic, but fragile ........ And the windows, even with more 'modern' (1950's -ish) storm windows, were not up to the brutal winters.

We recycled that old glass into the new, glass front kitchen cabinets hubby built and installed ------ Looked great!

Like you, LDW, our place was all lathe and plaster --- Most of which we manged to keep / repair, but in the kitchen we had to rip it all out and went with sheet rock that I did a smooth coat finish on (I loathe the lazy / cheap sprayed on finish on this house )

The good thing about the balloon framing, is it did make putting in proper insulation, a little easier.... Stripping all the old oak floors was a P*I*T*A .... But worth it! Even brought a 6 1/2 foot cast iron, claw foot (brass) bath tub from CA........ Knew soon as I saw the place in MN, we had to have that tub for the downstairs bath! The push button switches had long been replaced and we didn't have the budget to get reproduction ones so we went with contemporary switches

I love vintage structures ------- Think that's another reason why I'm not fond of FL .... I knew I'd never do well in a suburb or contemporary house ---- No soul, no character, nothing unique.

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
Feather (04-11-2015)

Tags
homes, live, time, warp