Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Cleaning and Organizing

Cleaning and Organizing Tips and tricks to get your home and all within it sparkling clean and neat as a pin.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:20 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,515 Times in 2,755 Posts
Default Is your home cleaned enough?

Good Housekeeping tells you. Now, go get busy.

How Often You Should Clean Everything

Raise your hand if you find keeping your home clean totally daunting. Or if you stumble upon dust, rust, or dirt in spots you totally forget about too often for comfort. We get it. Which is why we created this super handy checklist to help you stay on top of how often you should bust out your cleaners and get to work — but there are a few exceptions to keep in mind.

First of all, the obvious: If something looks dirty, don't wait — add it to your immediate to-do list. Secondly, when it comes to sanitation, our guidelines represent the bare minimum so you can ramp up those task as needed. And finally, don't forget about laundry, for which we created separate guidelines to follow.

More with checklist. http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home...an-everything/

The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
Feather (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 04:08 PM   #2
WVDragonlady
Working on it

1) why would people need to clean their oven and coffee maker when they don't bake and buy their fancy coffee at a coffee shop every day? People now-a-days microwave everything

2) I LIVE in my house. Its not a model home. Its cluttered sometimes so it definitely looks lived in lol. NO ONE has ever gotten sick from eating at my house. never

3) I refuse to do laundry unless there is a full load. Its a waste of water and detergent and thus money. Same thing for dishes. I only run the dishwasher if its full and not until its so

4) tossing food just because its "expired" is wasteful of both food and money. If it smells and looks okay eat it

Twice a year I take a swiffer sweeper and wipe down my walls and ceilings in all the rooms. Once because all winter we've had the pellet stove going and then because in warmer weather we have the windows open and dust and dirt from our dirt lane comes inside on them. Same for the furniture. I use a shop vac and clean them twice a year for the same reasons.

I clean windows when they need it however many times that is

My freezer is packed so there is no cleaning it out every 3-6 months. thats silly

I have no carpets in my house. Only rugs which can be washed and dried

I never use sponges. I use rags which can then be laundered and sanitized and they're cheaper

I'm wiping down and sanitizing my kitchen more than once a day lol I actually cook full meals in the thing and therefore have raw meat on my hands or counter or cutting board

The only water my car sees is rain lol

apparently these people have too much time on their hands and run around and do all this

wonder if they'd volunteer to come here while I'm at work and do all this for me lol

I doubt it
WVDragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WVDragonlady For This Useful Post:
Cactus Az (07-30-2016), Feather (07-30-2016), linttrap (07-30-2016), rb. (07-30-2016), WitchMisspelled (07-30-2016), Wojapi (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #3
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
That's a little too rigid. We have a small place; very small. Some of these items are done more often than 'the list' mandates, others less often.

And yeah, I noticed the lack of wall & ceiling cleaning as well. Every room in my house has that done at least once a year & high use rooms - bathroom, kitchen, entranceway & front hall closet get done 3-4 times a year. Keeps down grease, mould/mildew.

We also go through every storage bin & area at least yearly.
Feather (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #4
WitchMisspelled
Member Level 2

Thank you!

I thought I was the last person on earth that still used rags to clean and old cotton socks to dust and polish.

I do a spring and fall cleaning where the walls and moldings get swiffered, curtains cleaned, vacuum the furniture and clean the kitchen cabinets inside and out. I clean the oven maybe once a year.

Vacuum furniture every month? Clean mirrors every week? Really? Unless you have allergies there's no reason to vacuum your furniture once a month.

The kitchen is clean and sanitize as I go. It just makes life easier than to do a full pull-apart every week.

The only two things that gets cleaned like clockwork every week is the bathroom (only because I have a cat pan to change) and laundry (because I go to a laundromat) That's when the sheets get changed.

That piece reminds me of an article I read about kids leaving home completely unprepared for living on their own. Not knowing how to cook, balance a checkbook, etc. Obviously this was written as a guide for them!
WitchMisspelled is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WitchMisspelled For This Useful Post:
Feather (07-30-2016), linttrap (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 04:33 PM   #5
Twoolf
One more day in the world. Life is good!

Thanked 1,791 Times in 865 Posts
Sounds like it was written by the same folks who planned out how the "Perfect" wife treats the man of the house. This list is just as unrealistic as that one.
A.T. Hagan (08-02-2016), Cactus Az (07-30-2016), Feather (07-30-2016), WitchMisspelled (07-31-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 05:01 PM   #6
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,033 Posts
Squeegee shower every day... yeah right. My car is washed way more than every 3 to 6 months and my sponges are sanitized more than once a week. Cleaning dryer vents should be done more than once a year.
Feather (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 05:16 PM   #7
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

It's a pretty arbitrary list, not based on real conditions. I suppose it's a starting point for anyone who doesn't have a clue about cleaning but ONLY a starting point.

Amend & adjust as required.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #8
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
My bathrooms were cleaned weekly when the kids were little. Now they're cleaned as needed. Sometimes that's every three weeks, and that's only because of too much dust from softer toilet paper. If I dump aquarium water in the toilet from a water change, I will also clean the bathroom then.

I'm also one of those people that really doesn't give a crap if my kitchen is not clean when I go to bed, as long as the dishes are rinsed. It'll be there in the morning.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rb. For This Useful Post:
Feather (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #9
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,207 Times in 3,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoolf View Post
Sounds like it was written by the same folks who planned out how the "Perfect" wife treats the man of the house. This list is just as unrealistic as that one.
That was my first thought. It reads like something written for Good Housekeeping back in the 50's:
Quote:
"Best Ideas for the Newlywed Housewife"

After preparing a wholesome breakfast for your husband and seeing him off to work with a loving smile, you should take a moment to plan your housekeeping tasks for the day. A clean home is vital to a happy marriage and it's up to you to provide it, just as your husband provides for all your needs. Remember that it's always best to do these tasks in the morning, so that you can spend the afternoon planning and preparing a delicious dinner. (See the accompanying article "How To Cook As Well As Your Husband's Mother" on page 72). And don't forget that you'll need to spend some time every afternoon freshening up and making yourself a pleasant sight for your husband when he returns from a long, tiring day at the office.

It's important that you don't think of these housework tasks as drudgery. Instead, remember that a little time spent on cleaning every day will make light work of providing the pleasant and cozy home that your husband deserves. This list of tasks, done with a cheery smile, will make the burden of keeping your home clean as light as a feather duster."

Cue :

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
Feather (07-30-2016), WitchMisspelled (07-31-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 08:24 PM   #10
rb.

Quote:
It's important that you don't think of these housework tasks as drudgery. Instead, remember that a little time spent on cleaning every day will make light work of providing the pleasant and cozy home that your husband deserves. This list of tasks, done with a cheery smile, will make the burden of keeping your home clean as light as a feather duster."
Yeah, I'm pretty sure DH was happier today having a hand installing windows, ripping off hardboard siding, and holding house wrap as he stapled, rather than having me home cleaning the house.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #11
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,602 Times in 1,473 Posts
None of those thing get done on a schedule here. The last time my car was washed was the summer we bought it and that was in 2009. I clean as I can and if people don't like it they don't have to visit.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #12
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

The SO & I clean pretty obsessively most of the year. It's hard for him especially, to get out in bad weather, so if we have to spend a ton of time in here, we want it looking clean. That in no way disgusies the fact that most of our 'stuff' is crap, old in a not good way, held together with spit & duct tape, shabby, shopworn... but at least it's clean.

This summer? Pphhtt! We drag ourselves off our dragged out, lazy butts to keep the bathroom & kitchen clean. Not much choice here- we have really hard water. We vacuum every few days & dust if/when we think about it which frankly, isn't often.

I have a desk drawer full of paperwork that needs filing - again & don't have the energy to bother with it. If we have to evacuate for fire, I can easily dump the drawerful & the 3 crucial file folders in my back pack in 5 seconds anyway - no biggie. I know where everything is, it's simply that it might take me 4 minutes rather than 2 to fetch it if needed.

Too busy admiring pretty summer sunsets, weeding veggies & whining over my tattered looking perennials to want to bother with housework that isn't strictly necessary. The place is CLEAN; a bit of untidy & the odd missed pile of dust won't kill anyone.
Feather (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 08:38 PM   #13
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,082 Times in 1,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb. View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure DH was happier today having a hand installing windows, ripping off hardboard siding, and holding house wrap as he stapled, rather than having me home cleaning the house.
You have one of those marriages too? Where you are your spouse's PARTNER, not his slave.

After 42 years, we no longer even need to discuss "I'll do this part of the job and you do that." We just do it.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
Feather (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 08:50 PM   #14
lisa
Senior Level 1

Thanked 1,340 Times in 512 Posts
Having a small apartment is both a boon and a bane sometimes. Cleaning is easier IF you have a spot to put stuff...and since dh is a bit of a collector and doesn't put his stuff away it gets cluttered easily. His office stuff is spilling over into my kitchen/dining/living area (which is all one small space). Since injuring my back my quick "run throughs" house cleaning have ended and I have to pick days when I'm feeling good and do a couple of chores being careful not to do too much and knock my back out again. I've pretty much got it sorted to a schedule and while not spotless it is usually presentable.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lisa For This Useful Post:
Feather (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 10:16 PM   #15
rb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
You have one of those marriages too? Where you are your spouse's PARTNER, not his slave.

After 42 years, we no longer even need to discuss "I'll do this part of the job and you do that." We just do it.
Yep. When I don't make dinner, he does. Not a word spoken. For a good ten years, I took the garbage cans to the curb, shovelled the driveway, raked snow off the roof. One day he just started taking the cans to the curb, bought a snowblower, etc. Nothing said.

In 22 years, I've never washed a car, and he's never paid a bill. No discussion. What one doesn't do, the other does...or doesn't care that it's not done, in the case of cleaning. Other than staying home with babies, we've never discussed "roles and responsibilities".

Works for us.

Tags
cleaned, home