Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home

Within Our Home Here we talk about keeping our home and everything inside of it - including our cars and computers -clean, well organized, and well maintained. We also have our Classroom here, for those who Homeschool or extend their childrens education in the home.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:18 PM   #51
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
Yup - it's as easy as that with jades & many other succulents. My SIL has a 15 year old jade tree that single handedly, seems hell bent on populating eastern North America. She gave my SO was small, rooted plant. I now have 24; 3-4 decent sized plants "in training" as well as the initial plant & close to 20 rooting or small plants I'm growing on to train as different forms of bonsai or to give away.
Feather (03-11-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #52
Arianwen

Grocery store floral department had Easter Lily for .99, I selected the nicest with three blooms. Also, I was convinced by the floral manager to grab a big, healthy gardenia with lots of buds for $6.99.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #53
WitchMisspelled
Member Level 2

I have one Swedish Ivy, two spider plants and a deiffenbachia - all hanging plants.

I have 6'x3" windows and my brother installed shelves in my kitchen window last year where I do lots of things. So, if you count my kitchen window garden then I also have mint, rosemary, basil, thyme, romaine lettuce, butter lettuce, aloe, catnip and wheat grass. I'll be planting finger carrots, jalapeno peppers and maybe a bush variety of green beans when I get around to it.

Once the seedlings for marigolds are at the nursery, I'll be planting two 30" containers for the outside windowsill. Usually it's Violas, Zinnias or Impatiens, but I figured I'd plant something that wards off bugs and mosquitoes this year (thank you Zika).

Last edited by WitchMisspelled; 04-03-2016 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Forgot one plant!
WitchMisspelled is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WitchMisspelled For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2016, 01:22 AM   #54
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Thanked 1,107 Times in 651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchMisspelled View Post
I have one Swedish Ivy, two spider plants and a deiffenbachia - all hanging plants.

I have 6'x3" windows and my brother installed shelves in my kitchen window last year where I do lots of things. So, if you count my kitchen window garden then I also have mint, rosemary, basil, thyme, romaine lettuce, butter lettuce, aloe, catnip and wheat grass. I'll be planting finger carrots, jalapeno peppers and maybe a bush variety of green beans when I get around to it.

Once the seedlings for marigolds are at the nursery, I'll be planting two 30" containers for the outside windowsill. Usually it's Violas, Zinnias or Impatiens, but I figured I'd plant something that wards off bugs and mosquitoes this year (thank you Zika).
Erbs!!! Mmmmm!
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Auburn Boy For This Useful Post:
WitchMisspelled (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #55
WitchMisspelled
Member Level 2

Yup AB! And because the window faces east by southeast, I can grow them all winter! Growing the veg in the window is a hobby. Not enough room to really get enough for year round consumption. But it's great to be able to have fresh herbs to snip off while cooking all year round!
WitchMisspelled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #56
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,218 Times in 1,742 Posts
Because I have a solarium and a greenhouse people think I have a green thumb and should have their 'babies' they no longer want. Sooo I have an accumulation of nice large plants. The ones that survive, survive on abuse LOL.

1 8' dracenia
2 ficus, one is recovering nicely from a very bad pruning
1 burro's tail that's maybe 10' long and goes from the kitchen half wall to the floor of the basement
1 vining bleeding heart that's blooming right now. Its spectactular.
1 bougainvillea
2 angel wing begonia's, one is a tall variety
several citrus
1 Bay myrtle
lots of aloe different varieties
several cacti
1 nice bromeliad
2 giant split leaf philodendron
several types of Christmas cacti
a couple of peace lilies
and several other assorted ferns, wandering jew and such

They mostly all live where I can water them with a hose and that makes me happy LOL

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
WitchMisspelled (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #57
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,512 Posts
I saw the cutest little catus plants today and decided to give one a try. I picked it up and it felt kind of light. I looked closer and found it was plastic.
AndreaCA (04-19-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 09:08 AM   #58
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,218 Times in 1,742 Posts
LOL, sometimes those are the best kind, Feather. I have this plastic bird of paradise bloom that someone had stuck in one of the plants I adopted. I get more compliments on it than anything else

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue gecko For This Useful Post:
Feather (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #59
Arianwen

I seriously love jades; you mostly just leave them alone!
Old 05-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #60
Cactus Az

Okay, here`s the deal.

My GD came by and bought me an orchid...label says it`s a Phalaenopsis. ie moth orchid. I have had orchids in the past, Killed them right off.

So...you experts out there...How do I keep this alive ?
Old 05-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #61
Arianwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Az View Post
Okay, here`s the deal.

My GD came by and bought me an orchid...label says it`s a Phalaenopsis. ie moth orchid. I have had orchids in the past, Killed them right off.

So...you experts out there...How do I keep this alive ?
Photo, please? May need a repotting in better soil. Sometimes the stuff they come in is obnoxious (moss or whatever.)
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Cactus Az (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 10:21 PM   #62
Cactus Az

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...69&FORM=IQFRBA

I`m lame these days. Can`t remember how to post pics. Hope this works...the link that is. It looks like the first pic.

Lots of rock type stuff on top. Can`t get my finger down to feel what it`s like below.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #63
Arianwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Az View Post
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...69&FORM=IQFRBA

I`m lame these days. Can`t remember how to post pics. Hope this works...the link that is. It looks like the first pic.

Lots of rock type stuff on top. Can`t get my finger down to feel what it`s like below.
Buy orchid soil (cheapish.) Clean any gunk/moss etc off the roots. https://youtu.be/wbXQIsNKysk
Old 09-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #64
Feather

I've been seeing beautiful orchids and decided I want one. What kind of light do they need? How do I keep it alive? I used to have a green thumb but in the past few years it's wilted and died.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #65
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

My knowledge is THEORETICAL only as orchids I've grown in the past have not done well. I suspect I misinterpreted dormancy for death...LOL Admittedly I know I killed a few.

North light or filtered east/west light... as long as they don't get direct sun. A small amount of water once a week - that's why a lot of folks use an ice cube for minis & 2-3 for larger ones; seems that's the perfect amount of water. BUT, nowhere near the stem or leaves. I'm not going to be doing that; I'll just dribble in the small amount they need. Never let the roots stand in water. Apparently, it's better they be a bit too dry than too wet.

Now... to take my own advice & see if I can keep my 2 new ones alive. Brought them home yesterday, put them in a north facing window & today, they look happy.
Feather (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #66
Feather

If I put a cabinet in front of my only north facing window maybe Misty will leave it along and just enjoy the view. Or I could put it in an east facing window a ways from the window. I'm thinking African Violets too. Mom grew them in the kitchen window when I was a kid.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #67
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

African violets will do very well in an eastern window, especially in winter.
Feather (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #68
Feather

I love violets. To be able to have them inside in the winter would be a breath of spring. I hate winter.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:23 AM   #69
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

With September here, it's time to make sure houseplants go into the winter in good shape.

First, pay close attention to night time lows, if you have any houseplants spending time outside; some can't handle even cool temps, never mind anything close to freezing. Bring them in if there's the slightest risk it might get too cold. The outside of the planters they're in will probably need to be wiped of insects & outside dirt/dust.

As for plants that HAVE spent the summer indoors; while they're probably still growing strongly, most are preparing to 'hibernate' during the winter months. Gradually lowered amounts of daylight tends to trigger that & it stresses them out to do major work on them while they're resting. This is the time to do it.

If any plants are bursting out of their pots, repot them now. Others may be fine in their pots but if the soil level has dropped, add a bit of fresh soil on top. Large plants in very large planters - you can carefully remove the top inch or two of soil & replace that with fresh - soil does get depleted of nutrients. Most houseplants will also benefit from a dose of 1/4 to 1/2 strength fertilizer as they head into fall.

Your plants will let you know that they're getting ready to 'hibernate'. You'll notice the rate of new growth really starts slowing down & they will start needing less water. Plants that may have needed water twice a week for example, will soon only need it once a week, etc. Check before watering - this is a time of year many houseplants are lost due to root rot.

They may be dusty right now. I let mine get a bit dry, then either spray the leaves with a spray bottle on a mist setting or gently run them under a shower head before doing any transplanting or other tidying up.

I'll also, this time of year, cut back anything getting really long & straggly or any sections of plant that look dead or languishing - won't hurt the plant at all. Any plnts I'm 'training', meaning trying to grow in a particular shape by planned trimming of stems, shoots & growing points - this is the last time in the growing season I'll do that - I let them rest after that until March.

Many plants suffer from a lack of adequate light during the winter. Plants I now have in a north facing windowsill may be moved to west facing windows within the next few months - I have none facing east or south.

For those with flower gardens - any number of plants sold in northern climates as annuals may actually be tender perennials; plants that in more tropical climates, are perennials. If you have any real favorites, look them up online & if that's the case, pot them up, leave thm in pots outside for a few days, then bring them in. They will probably bloom for you at least through the fall, then start flowering again in spring.

Many plants are triggered to set buds & flower by day length. Expect over the next few months, many houseplants to slow up on, then stop flower production. If you have Growlights, you can keep them flowering all winter. If not, they'll appreciate the break.

Happy growing!
Feather (09-04-2016), WitchMisspelled (09-03-2016)

Tags
aka, house, indoor, plants