Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,635 Times in 2,798 Posts
Default Immigrate to Canada?

Forget moving to Canada because of Trump.

Move to Canada for the relaxed marijuana laws.

The wild west of weed: will legalisation work for Canada?
Mike Power

Opposite a bleak government building in suburban Ottawa, Canada, a barebones “cannabis clinic” – with just a cash register, jeweller’s scales and a glass counter – is doing a brisk trade. “Pirate! Muslim! Gangster! Yes! We all smoke!” shouts one teen as he high-fives the owner, Rohmi. He pockets his pungent bag and bounces out, giggling.

On the wall, there’s a menu listing today’s special: moonrocks – buds rolled in cannabis oil then dipped in powdered hash at C$40 (£24) a gram. There are cans of Canna Cola; potent, weed-laced gummy bears; a mound of gooey hashish smelling of dark chocolate, hops and pine resin.

If this is medicine, it’s unclear what the illness is, other than sobriety. It makes an Amsterdam coffeeshop look tame – and it’s this free-for-all, wild-west-of-weed attitude that Canada’s government wants to tame by legalising cannabis during prime minister Justin Trudeau’s first term in office. Laws that will legalise cannabis for recreational use will be announced in the week of 10 April, and will be passed by July 2018, say government sources, making Canada the first G7 country to do so.

More: https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ork-for-canada
The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
Feather (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #2
Sonny
Star Witness

I wonder it Canadians will be allowed to grow their own? or only purchase from government regulated stores?

Quote:
If this is medicine, it’s unclear what the illness is, other than sobriety.
yeah, that was funny.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 PM   #3
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
I think we'll be able to grow 4 plants each, at a time, for personal use. If that's the case, I can't see it enforced unless someone's growing large amounts without a licence, and selling it.

I haven't been paying much attention 'cause pot stinks, and sucks.
Sonny (03-30-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:23 PM   #4
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,053 Posts
Quote:
I wonder it Canadians will be allowed to grow their own? or only purchase from government regulated stores?
You do know how the liquor laws are up there, right? "Byzantine" wouldn't begin to describe it.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:32 AM   #5
rb.

We can make our own wine, beer, etc., we just can't sell it. Liquor laws vary from province to province. I've only firsthand experience with Ontario and BC's liquor laws. Bars close at 2am, drinking age is 19, no open alcohol in vehicles. BC sells beer and wine in "beer and wine" corner stores, Ontario sells beer at the gov't controlled Beer Store, and is moving into grocery stores. Some craft beer makers are allowed to sell from their storefront, I believe. Wine has been in many grocery stores for at least 10 years. Liquor in Ontario is sold only at the LCBO stores (gov't). BC same, IIRC.

LCBO and Beer Store store hours are 10 am to 9:30 pm, except Sunday to 5 pm. ALL stores in my city close Sunday at 5 pm, except Walmart. If 10-9:30 isn't good enough to get your booze, you can wait til the next day, or go to a bar.

Byzantine?

Last edited by rb.; 03-30-2017 at 12:44 AM.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:53 AM   #6
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

My experience is with BC, and it's ridiculous there. Even at Whistler, I have to bypass the convenience store that is 100 ft from our rental unit and walk all the way across the village to the package store. The craft beer industry in BC is in a choke hold. In addition to ridiculous restrictions on alcohol content (which means that many styles that are popular south of the border, like double IPAs and imperial stouts, are off-limits for the average brewer), brewers have to pay every dime of tax on their beer the second it leaves the brewery. By contrast, they don't get paid by the distributors until the retailer has sold the beer, meaning brewers have lots of capital tied up unnecessarily. It is crippling for the smaller brewers, who often have to get loans to front the taxes. And the prices! Don't get me started. There is a reason everyone heading north of the border has a car full of beer, wine or hard alcohol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb. View Post
We can make our own wine, beer, etc., we just can't sell it. Liquor laws vary from province to province. I've only firsthand experience with Ontario and BC's liquor laws. Bars close at 2am, drinking age is 19, no open alcohol in vehicles. BC sells beer and wine in "beer and wine" corner stores, Ontario sells beer at the gov't controlled Beer Store, and is moving into grocery stores. Some craft beer makers are allowed to sell from their storefront, I believe. Wine has been in many grocery stores for at least 10 years. Liquor in Ontario is sold only at the LCBO stores (gov't). BC same, IIRC.

LCBO and Beer Store store hours are 10 am to 9:30 pm, except Sunday to 5 pm. ALL stores in my city close Sunday at 5 pm, except Walmart. If 10-9:30 isn't good enough to get your booze, you can wait til the next day, or go to a bar.

Byzantine?
Sonny (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
Toner
Hero of Canton

Thanked 2,098 Times in 933 Posts
Quote:
drinking age is 19
18 in Alberta, Manitoba, and Quebec

Alberta has fully privatized liquor sales. No booze in grocery stores here but bigger chains often have a separate dedicated liquor store building in a corner of their parking lot and there's plenty of private stores in strip malls and they're often open 10:00am-midnight.

The main laws affecting the public would be that you can't be drinking on the street/in parks and (obviously) while driving. I seem to remember from one of those border-security shows that Canada's border security will more likely deny entry to people convicted with DUI vs. MJ offences, while the US is the opposite.

Consumers main issues would probably be around transporting liquor across provincial lines and/or availability issues (eg. Saskatchewan doesn't allow the sale of craft beers from out of province).

Adopted internet dad of CanadaSue and Key
Toner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toner For This Useful Post:
rb. (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 12:29 PM   #8
rb.

Sys, price inflation is due to mostly sin taxes (cigarettes, alcohol). Very few annual federal budgets (and Ontario budgets) are created without an increase in sin taxes. Been that way for decades. Governments looove sin taxes, they can finger-wag and stick their other hand in your pocket at the same time.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Quote:
Sys, price inflation is due to mostly sin taxes (cigarettes, alcohol). Very few annual federal budgets (and Ontario budgets) are created without an increase in sin taxes. Been that way for decades. Governments looove sin taxes, they can finger-wag and stick their other hand in your pocket at the same time.
Good fun paying $12 for a 6-pack of mediocre "craft" beer made by a contract brewer. A 6-pack of the real stuff was pushing $16. I realize that Whistler has higher prices than most places, but still. The real craft brewers must be seething with resentment up there.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:53 PM   #10
AndreaCA
Senior Level 3

Thanked 3,255 Times in 1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toner View Post
18 in Alberta, Manitoba, and Quebec

Alberta has fully privatized liquor sales. No booze in grocery stores here but bigger chains often have a separate dedicated liquor store building in a corner of their parking lot and there's plenty of private stores in strip malls and they're often open 10:00am-midnight.

The main laws affecting the public would be that you can't be drinking on the street/in parks and (obviously) while driving. I seem to remember from one of those border-security shows that Canada's border security will more likely deny entry to people convicted with DUI vs. MJ offences, while the US is the opposite.

Consumers main issues would probably be around transporting liquor across provincial lines and/or availability issues (eg. Saskatchewan doesn't allow the sale of craft beers from out of province).
My husband's band had to turn down several Canadian gigs because their former lead singer had not one, but two dui's.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:35 PM   #11
rb.

Yeah, I live in a border city where it is not uncommon to cross to the US to shop, go to a bar, out for dinner, etc. Everyone grows up here knowing you can cross to the US with DUIs, but not if you've ever been caught with a joint. It's the reverse coming into Canada from the US.

Tags
canada, immigrate