Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine

Alternative and Survival Medicine Investigations and discussion into health systems, practices, and products that are not considered part of conventional medicine.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:22 AM   #1
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Thanked 2,831 Times in 1,168 Posts
Default Taking probiotics while on antibiotics

I wasn't sure where to put this so I'll park it here.

I've been having tooth problems, was given amoxicillin 500 mg 4x/day for 10 days early last month. Then a 250 mg Z-pack (azithromycin) this past Friday (prescribed by the walk-in doc), which I finished yesterday morning (Tuesday). On Monday, the dentist was going to change my antibiotic until he found out I was on my second antibiotic in two months then he explained he was not going to prescribe anything else as people my age were more at risk of c. difficile infection.

I'm pretty sure the azithromycin wasn't working very well, if at all, and the dentist did say Monday that wasn't a great choice for mouth bugs.

I had the tooth out yesterday and he ended up prescribing another course of amoxicillin, 875 mg 2x/day for 7 days.

I've been poking around looking into probiotics to possibly lessen the chance of c.difficile. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm wondering do I take them while I'm on antibiotics, or wait until I'm done with those?

I have half a bottle of various lactobacillus strains left over from when I had my colonoscopy a while back, and I'm going to be picking up a jar of something different later today (if the store has what I'm looking for). Darn things are expensive!
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,215 Times in 4,487 Posts
I can eat yogurt but probiotics in pill form induce severe vomiting.

You have to catch c.diff from an infected surface or person. It's mostly a nursing home/hospital bug. My sister has had it several times and I've avoided infection just by keeping my hands clean and away from my face.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
drummagick (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
pamcat
Member Level 1

My son takes antibiotics frequently for his skin problems.

I always encourage him to eat yogurt to try and help the stomach issues.
pamcat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pamcat For This Useful Post:
drummagick (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,619 Times in 2,094 Posts
From a probiotic supplier site:

Quote:
Taking other probiotics
If you are taking a probiotic other than 'For those on antibiotics' from our range, it is best to wait 1 to 2 hours after your antibiotics before taking the probiotic supplement (with the exception of 'Saccharomyces boulardii' which is a yeast and therefore won’t be killed by antibiotics). If you are taking a probiotic from a different supplier, perhaps a yoghurt or another supplement containing live cultures of natural bacteria, it is best to ask your supplier about timings.

However as a general idea, other companies tend to recommend waiting 1 or 2 hours after taking antibiotics before taking your probiotics. After 1 or 2 hours, the antibiotics will have passed through the body, and at this stage it is safe to take a probiotic without worrying about the natural bacteria being destroyed. It is still generally recommended to take probiotics every day during your course of antibiotics; this way you can replenish your friendly bacteria on a daily basis, before your digestive system is upset by a longstanding microbial imbalance.
http://www.optibacprobiotics.co.uk/f...th-antibiotics
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
drummagick (05-10-2017), Mousehound (05-12-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
drummagick

I have to take this amoxicillin every 12 hours I was planning on taking a probiotic at the 6 hour mark

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
I can eat yogurt but probiotics in pill form induce severe vomiting.

You have to catch c.diff from an infected surface or person. It's mostly a nursing home/hospital bug. My sister has had it several times and I've avoided infection just by keeping my hands clean and away from my face.
Thank you! All they do is make me very gassy. :O
Old 05-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
dharma
Git it, booger.

Thanked 2,427 Times in 973 Posts
Probiotics PLUS prebiotics are a good idea.

As we get older and spend more time around the medical care system, we become more likely to harbor C. dif. fb probably has a pretty good colony in her gut (no insult, just a fact of life), but her good health and robust gut biota are protective.
dharma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dharma For This Useful Post:
drummagick (05-10-2017), Mousehound (05-12-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
drummagick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma View Post
Probiotics PLUS prebiotics are a good idea.

As we get older and spend more time around the medical care system, we become more likely to harbor C. dif. fb probably has a pretty good colony in her gut (no insult, just a fact of life), but her good health and robust gut biota are protective.

Prebiotics? Must Google search.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #8
drummagick

Looks like a good reason to eat a lot of garlic bread made with lots of fresh garlic.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #9
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,215 Times in 4,487 Posts
Quote:
fb probably has a pretty good colony in her gut (no insult, just a fact of life), but her good health and robust gut biota are protective.
Oh heck yeah. (No insult taken, just a fact of life.) I'm waiting for the day I get something that hits my immune system and all the creepy crawlies come out to play. I may actually have to break down and see a doctor, lol... unless you know a place I can get hooked up to a Vancomycin IV.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #10
dharma
Git it, booger.

Thanked 2,427 Times in 973 Posts
Vanc. Ugh. Don't do it. Especially not IV.
dharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
drummagick

Fred Meyer health food section did not have the specific probiotic I was looking for and I can't afford the health food store prices right now so I'll take what I have, eat lots of yogurt and maybe lots of (fresh) garlic bread too.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Thanks for your answers, everyone.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #12
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,240 Posts
I usually drink Actimel, and give it to my family when anyone is on antibiotics. I haven't needed them for a very long time now though.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antibiotics, probiotics, taking