Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Prep

Flu Prep This room is dedicated only to discussion of medical preparation for flu and the mitigation of the spread or symptoms of influenza. Please use the Prep Room for generic prep discussions (food, water, security, etc.)

Old 07-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Default Anyone prepping anything out of the "ordinary"

I have been working on my scrapbooks trying to play catch up.

I have an enlarged heart and I wonder if the swineflu mutates or becomes more virulent or even if it stays the same......will be my demise?

I mean.. How do we know for sure we will make it through ? We could have underlying health problems that we aren't even aware of. Sorry if this is doomer but have you all really thought about the "what if's"?

I'm making sure all my kids scrapbooks are finished from their baby books to the scrapbooks that cover nursery school right through elementary, to high school. I am journaling with a mothers love.

You never know.....

Anyone else prepping in this way, getting things in order so to speak?

Amberglass
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

I think one of the items that needs to be kept in the medicine cabinet are mild anxiety meds. Something like St John's Wart works well for me. I take one or two capsules and I relax. This aids in my breathing. I also have the RX Valium generic form. I take 1/2 of one of those in extreme situations and once again it eases breathing.
I'm no medic, so this is opinion only and not everyone should probably take meds. But that is what Doctors are for. They know these things.

Right in regards to your topic that I drifted off of. We all should be ready to leave this earth at any time. We don't have the time or destination on our tickets.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Quote:
We all should be ready to leave this earth at any time. We don't have the time or destination on our tickets.
I agree Sarrah. I just dont want my kids having half finished scrapbooks. I can hear them now.... 'it's too bad Mom never got around to finishing our books, they'd be really nice to have".

I have relaxants on hand as well. You never know when you are going to need one....or three.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Shit.

Can you believe it never entered my mind to finish stuff like that?
Old 07-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
sandyd
Beach Fun

Thanked 1,638 Times in 679 Posts
I'm leaving the biggest mess possible to make someone have to go though stuff or throw out stuff without looking.

/wonder if they toss the gold too?

Old 07-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Twoolf
One more day in the world. Life is good!

Thanked 1,791 Times in 865 Posts
If anyone want's my good stuff, they'll have to talk to my ex-wife. She got it all............
Twoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
I have been working on my scrapbooks trying to play catch up.

I have an enlarged heart and I wonder if the swineflu mutates or becomes more virulent or even if it stays the same......will be my demise?

I mean.. How do we know for sure we will make it through ? We could have underlying health problems that we aren't even aware of. Sorry if this is doomer but have you all really thought about the "what if's"?

I'm making sure all my kids scrapbooks are finished from their baby books to the scrapbooks that cover nursery school right through elementary, to high school. I am journaling with a mothers love.

You never know.....

Anyone else prepping in this way, getting things in order so to speak?

Amberglass

Honestly that didn't even cross my mind! Very interesting though now you've brought it up! I really hope I don't have to worry about that and will probably stick my head in the sand for now!

I'm sorry to hear that you've had to think of it and what a great Mom you are to think of finishing the scrap books but if you are in that much danger because of your heart maybe you'll need to isolate yourself to be safe as far as having a room in the house only for you or something so that nobody else can infect you if things get bad out there come September.

Was your Dr able to shed any light on whether or not your heart condition will put you at a much high danger?

Maybe a taped msg on the camcorder to our family is a great idea also just in case. I'm way too bury my head in the sand wimpy to do that though myself, I can't bring myself to think of it!

MMB
MicheleMaBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
caonacl
the truth is precious

can someone explain why baking soda would be an essential prep? (it's something I heard on the radio)

...is it about this?

http://www.redcrossstl.org/Portals/0...%208-22-06.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BS-lyte.jpg (16.1 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by caonacl; 07-25-2009 at 10:12 PM.
caonacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #9
Malcolm
Senior Level 3

I always like to keep a little transisor radio and batteries in case the power goes off.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,073 Times in 1,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caonacl View Post
can someone explain why baking soda would be an essential prep? (it's something I heard on the radio)
If you are planning on using up that flour that you also prepped, you need either yeast for raised bread or baking soda/baking powder for biscuits and pancakes and other breadstuff. (No, soda and powder aren't the same thing; the chemical composition is different, so they react to different ingredients.)
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
BirdGuano
H1N1 Crash Dummy

As the saying goes...

Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.

Quote:
"It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep." -- Tibetan proverb
News and commentary updates on Twitter @guanosphere
BirdGuano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Unfortunately, DH is of the opinion that quilt fabric is NOT an essential prep item.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Quote:
Unfortunately, DH is of the opinion that quilt fabric is NOT an essential prep item
hahaha..Whats that saying MA..What he doesn't know...won't hurt him.

I have been buying up scrapbooking stuff right, left and centre.It's an expensive hobby. If I'm going to be hanging around home, I want to be doing something I enjoy.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #14
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

I buy it, put it away for a while, and then I can bring it out to fondle it and work with it. DH: "Did you buy more fabric?" Me: "No, I've had this for ages."
Old 07-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #15
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Quote:
I buy it, put it away for a while, and then I can bring it out to fondle it and work with it. DH: "Did you buy more fabric?" Me: "No, I've had this for ages."
Hahaha...That doesn't work with my DH anymore, he's caught on. I am blessed, if I want it, he says buy it. I do feel guilty if I have been shopping a lot though. I don't waste a nickel and almost everything I buy, I buy on sale. As for my scrapbooking, I wait for Michaels 40-50% off coupons and thats when I buy my high priced items. It blows my mind when I am in there seeing people paying full price for things.... I guess they don't look at Michaels flyers.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #16
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Part of our plans for winter are taking SO up to the one remaining hobby shop in town & getting him supplied to do models all winter... model TANKS, you filthy minded pervs!

Ahem, anyway, I benignly allow him to buy models, paints, glue... all that fun stuff. I knows how to work the guilt.

I then haul butt to some local stores 7 make sure I have soil, seeds & this year HOUSEPLANTS. The sailly man made the mistake of saying he LOVES houseplants; we don't have ENOUGH houseplants... he's gonna be sorry...

That, a valid library card & a working net connection are all I need. Should things look to be heading south, I'll be staggering home with a a squillion library books. There's a 'no limit' limit on those & I can renew online.

I think I need a more hands on hobby too, though. I need to think about that. I suck at any needlecraft I've ever tried & prefer admiring that sort of work than doing it.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #17
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

One thing that I just thought of this morning is when it comes time for the children to go trick or treating for Halloween. I'm going to stock up on candy in case the kids will need to avoid that this year. They can still get dressed up and we'll do something special at home and of course they have to get candy!
Old 07-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #18
ukmum

Thanked 1,483 Times in 578 Posts
I was thinking about stocking up on Christmas Pressies....am I being paranoid??
ukmum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #19
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleMaBell View Post
One thing that I just thought of this morning is when it comes time for the children to go trick or treating for Halloween. I'm going to stock up on candy in case the kids will need to avoid that this year. They can still get dressed up and we'll do something special at home and of course they have to get candy!
And lucky for you, they're already starting to put the Halloween candy out! Guess they've figured out that if they start pushing it in July, you'll buy it, eat it, buy more, eat that... until the day before Halloween you'll be searching through the store, fighting little old ladies for the last big bag of Dum-Dums.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #20
flowerchild
Senior Level 1

I am going to order Christmas gifts next month, plus get whatever I need to make a few,also. I am also going to pick up a few things for Thanksgiving, too. My son wants some circular knitting needles and more yarn.
flowerchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #21
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

CHRISTMAS haven't even got that far yet! Must be nice to be organized! I could always do all shopping over the phone or online.....
Old 07-29-2009, 12:35 AM   #22
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

You know...... I just logged on here just to say Christmas and Y'all beat me to it. It just hit me.....

I'm going to start Christmas shopping.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #23
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,033 Posts
I have started looking at winter already. Just had the snow blower tuned up and serviced and found the manual for the kero heater. It needs a new wick. Now starts the good end of summer clearance sales. I'll be looking for glass pitchers, citronella candles, bbq lighters, small gas cylinders for the grill, plastic cutlery, paper products with summery pictures. Back to school time is starting now and stores are having sales on school supplies and socks. I load up on pens, pencils, printer paper, and paper clips for pennies. Next will be the sales on insulated lunch boxes, plastic containers and last years OTC meds.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #24
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,169 Posts
Today I'm organizing the food storage. Usually I rotate out the 'expired' stuff, though my expired stuff is never more than a couple months past the marked date, and take it to the women's shelter on the next block over. This time, I think I will just box it up and set it aside and keep it through the flu season, for give-aways, just in case.

I'm thinking about making up an envelope for my kid's daddy to keep in his lockbox. You know, who gets what if something happens to me. I don't really have enough to make up a full blown will. I do know that one kid will want this, and the other will want that and two kids might argue over that other thing. I'm going to tell him to take my life insurance that he took out on me years ago, have me cremated and divide the rest into fourths. Take my oldest daughter's piece and pay off her damn credit card balances and give her what's left over. It would piss her off, but she'd realize later it was for the best in the long run. lol
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #25
BirdGuano
H1N1 Crash Dummy

Better do a simple will, because without one you get probated and the state's lawyers keep 7% and your estate, and your kids may not get excess distributed like you want.

Lots of free templates online.

Quote:
"It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep." -- Tibetan proverb
News and commentary updates on Twitter @guanosphere
BirdGuano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ordinary, prepping